Newbie to Maxi Scooters

Make your first post here or feel the wrath of the Muppets.
Dav4008

Newbie to Maxi Scooters

Post by Dav4008 »

Hi All

I'm looking at buying either a large scooter or small tourer to commute 40 miles each way daily starting in June of next year, I never considered a maxi scooter until a colleague who used to ride a Piaggio X9 told me that's what he would buy! Anyway have made a list of machines that need riding to see what suits best but at the moment it's finding the blasted things near enough to home! I think there musn't be many maxi scooter riders in Norfolk! Great forum by the way!

stevew
Benefactor
Current Ride: Maxsym 400i

Re: Newbie to Maxi Scooters

Post by stevew »

Hi,
The list is endless but i guess 300-400cc is where you want to be.
I don't have one but the SH300 seems well liked and reliable according to others on here. Just depends if it suits you ergonomically, didn't work for me.
The real big ones like the Burg 650, big T-max and the Silver Wing seem really nice and super plush but bloody expensive to run.
For my money i would stick to a conventional belt, variator, and bouncy engine arrangement.

I ended up with a Sym........................................enjoy the search :P
Orpington, UK
2014-Honda Wave 110i
2013-Sym Maxsym 400i

VOZZA
Benefactor
Current Ride: Forza 125

Post by VOZZA »

Hi and welcome. icon_wink-.gif Wales.gif
Pete

Vespa GTS300 Super for practical runabout, Triumph Tiger Explorer for conquering the planet. Car almost obsolete.

SH125Paul
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH125 - NC750X DCT

Post by SH125Paul »

If ya going new...
Yamaha have just released an X-Max 300...

kishan
Current Ride: gilera runner 125ST

Post by kishan »

welcome to MM
PIAGGIOOWNERSCLUB.FREEFORUMS.ORG - THE HOME FOR GILERA , APRILIA , PIAGGIO AND VESPA OWNERS.

roadster
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silence S01

Post by roadster »

There are some practical concerns when clocking up daily mileage so quickly. Frequent servicing and tyre replacement can be very expensive unless you can do the work yourself. I would regard recommended service intervals as an important factor when making your choice. Scooters with belt drive are easier to live with than chains which need constant maintenance in rainy conditions but the belt may need changing twice a year if your doing this kind of mileage.
Located on UK South Coast
SYM Joymax 125 and Honda CB300R. Previously Silence S01, Kymco AK550, Triumph Tiger 850, Triumph Street Twin etc...