Returning to two wheels

Make your first post here or feel the wrath of the Muppets.
Frenchie
Current Ride: Piaggio MP3 500

Re: Returning to two wheels

Post by Frenchie »

Read a couple of reviews of the Honda Integra 750. Interesting. Life is full of compromises. I save about £900 a year in fuel, and probably quite a lot in servicing and replacement tyres too. I presume that Hondas are as reliable as I used to hear too? On the other hand, I have a chain rear drive, no where for a tunnel bag and very little storage.
I have to travel with a lot of files for my work - picture a pile 15 to 18 inches, currently split between a case and a rucksack.
With the Burgman, I imagined these split between the under seat storage and a bag lashed to the pillion seat. Scooter designs seem to place top boxes very high, and trust me, these files weigh heavy. Am I right to be wary of this?
Scootypuff snr's idea of a Dacia or similar does have its attractions, but ferry costs go up by between 50 and 100%, a lot when you factor in 50 crossings a year. To put things in perspective, I am currently spending £8k a year on flights and car hire. That hurts and was a major factor in looking for an alternative.
When I travel within the UK, it is to represent clients at tribunal hearings. Being late isn't an option. The UK motorway system seems to be riddled with lengthy speed restrictions, which obviously apply however many wheels you have, but too often everything grinds to a halt because of an accident or breakdown. So I liked the idea of being able to lane split.
Then there's the idea of getting some enjoyment out of the traveling that is a large part of my life.
OK, so the Honda has to be a contender. I came across a review of an Aprilia 850 automatic that looked the part, and service intervals were good. When I was riding Moto Morini, Cagiva and Moto Guzzi, I am not sure that Aprilia existed. In general, how far behind are Italian makes these days for reliability?
I had a 30 minute test ride on a used Burgman 400, in borrowed helmet and gloves, and my impression was that it felt a little strained at motorway speeds. I couldn't see it coping with my requirements. Do you think I'm right to think 500cc and above?

Thanks again for the warm welcome and advice.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Frenchie

Post by Frenchie »

Just looking at the Sym 600i, a lot of scooter for your money.

kayz1
Benefactor
Current Ride: Scott X-ADV75 + bmw r90s + c70

Post by kayz1 »

All those files will fit under the big Burgers seat Frenchie, that will leave you with a bag for the rear seat and a tunnel bag plus may be a top box for the light weight stuff. Some folks put panniers on the big Burger!!! But for me they are far too fat arsed to start with, and i like them. ...Italian bikes are nice But!!! you did say you just had to get to site on time...
Lyn.

Frenchie

Post by Frenchie »

With 5 hours or so from home to Caen, with a fuel stop along the way, then a 5 hour ferry crossing to Portsmouth, during which I get to relax and work (next to impossible on Ryanair). That leaves 2.5 hours from Portsmouth to the office near Cardiff. Done that way, do you still think that a lack of comfort should be a big concern?

I completely accept that there are no cheap options here. Also, that some scooters would come with increased costs for servicing and tyres. That said, total costs only have to come in under the £8,000 I am currently paying for flights and car hire. That figure doesn't include the fuel I am paying for now, for the 10,000 UK miles, and I would hope to get more mpg on two wheels than I get from the cars that I can afford to hire.

Have a good day, all.

Scootypuff snr

Post by Scootypuff snr »

Frenchie

I think with the mileage in mind something old school shaft drive would be ideal (if you can find a prized loved gem amongst the scrap) Yamaha 900 Diversion, honda Deauville BMW (not the new crap)

Though the words retro,rare & barn find now seem to be eBay by words for look I'm selling a shed at top money.

Otherwise something with a service record "chain", Bandit 1200, Fazer,V strom, FJR (there are still a fair few mint 1200s kicking around France) but all have a weight premium.

Otherwise look to what the bike couriers use and it appears the NC Honda range fair well with a set of slim givi panniers.

Something like this

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272486992312

Also there is a company that manufacture the " courier top boxes" for the range cost i recall about £800

Found link cheaper than I remember

http://keithgold.co.uk/price-list.html

Maybe the 500X though I believe the saving of engine weight does not reflect over the 750

Otherwise chat with a dealer if they are getting your custom and profit from service I'd expect a deal.

In which case try a Tmax or a heavy discount on a BMW scooter.
Again for those miles I'd advertise the supplying dealer bodywork graphics) for money off.

Frenchie

Post by Frenchie »

Well, the Burgman 650 is off the list now. The storage would be great, and I had see the tyre costs coming, but the fuel economy and reduced servicing costs cannot be ignored. To say nothing of the likely better handling. On the face of it, all I have to do is figure out how best to carry everything.

Shaft drive would make a lot of sense, but I am not aware of any that are twist and go?

Frenchie

Post by Frenchie »

None of the 3 Sym dealers in this part of Wales have so much as a 600i demonstrator.
A dealer in the North West has one with less than a thousand miles on the clock, and at half the interest rate that would apply on a new machine here.
Since my riding in the last 25 years consists of 30 minutes on a 400 Burgman, would it be total lunacy to consider buying a bike I have not seen, never mind ridden?

muddyfox
Benefactor
Current Ride: Yamaha 250r x max

Post by muddyfox »

Morning Frenchie, several YouTube videos worth viewing. Found this as well although 2014 model
http://www.motoservices.com/essai-scoot ... s-2014.htm.
One video shows a French lads 4 continent road trip and the carrying capacity of the scooter.
Try and find member Symcity threads on here for more information on the 600i.
Muddyfox (Nottingham)
Ride safe

Frenchie

Post by Frenchie »

All being well, I will have a look at a second hand Integra 750 at a dealer on Monday. It comes with Honda luggage, and the machine needs some, for my purposes.

I want to check seat height, that I can manoeuvre it, that the panniers will take my files, whether I will need a device to help keep the throttle open, etc.
I won't be able to ride it as I don't yet have any gear. Unless I fail these tests on Monday, I think that the act of faith required to invest money in a helmet, boots, waterproofs, etc will be warranted. Current thinking is to buy pretty much everything through the MCN shop, based on customer reviews. Comments?
To my surprise, Mrs Frenchie is encouraging the move to two wheels. Motives can only be guessed at, but it does help. Perhaps it's the prospect of being able to bring tins of beans back, prohibited on a flight.
Guys, my impression is that the average speed on two wheels is going to be at least as high as for cars, even for a long ride (say 5 hours) and even where a large amount of dual carriageway and motorways is involved, but is that your experience?
Have a good weekend, all, and stay warm

Dave Weller
Benefactor
Current Ride: VespaGTS250 Wave110i

Post by Dave Weller »

Of all all the bikes I've owned, the Deauville would be ideal for your task. The latest Burgman 650's are a bit better on fuel than a Deauville from experience with riding with them. They needed a little less fuel than my NT700 to top up after a ride.
An Integra would do it, if you can store all the luggage, there's one in 21st Moto in Kent.
Honda NC750 Manual
VESPA GTS250
Royal Enfield HNTR 350
Honda Wave 110i