SH300 rider from London

Make your first post here or feel the wrath of the Muppets.
jezza1
Current Ride: SH300

SH300 rider from London

Post by jezza1 »

Hola all!

Thought I would sign up having found this site online....

I've got an SH300 for commuting around 12,000 miles around London annually, but as much as I like the SH, I'm fighting the urge of a 530 TMax of Xmax 300/400....

A quick question if anyone reads this.... My mileage is about to go up so the weather protection of a bigger scoot is a real plus... BUT would an Xmax 300 or 400 be much quicker than my 300? (its not all about the rain :D )

Cheers

Jezza

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Re: SH300 rider from London

Post by StephenC »

Welcome.

No 300 will be quicker than your SH but generally speaking at 400cc scooters change into heavier, much less economical beasts.

For your mileage you also need to think about service intervals. For example, the Xmax 300 I had as my last scooter needed an oil change at 3000 miles and a service at 6k. This isn't unusual. The 2019 Forza 300 I have now goes 8k miles without an intermediate oil change. The electric screen is also surprisingly useful for when you switch from a high speed cruise to urban crawl.

Granted, the Xmax 400, Tmax and the Burgers are all quicker but check out the running costs before you jump. Example: the Xmax 300 averages over 90mpg but the 400 (with only 5hp more) barely achieves 70mpg. The Tmax and Burgers will be worse.

I hate to just be another person to say my own choice is best, but right now the Forza300 is really the best commuter machine going.
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

rayb
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300

Post by rayb »

If you're riding around London, I'd have thought the SH300 would have been the ideal beast. It's going to be as quick, if not quicker and more agile, in traffic and capable of reaching speed limits as fast as is needed. With a decent screen, the weather protection is good. I went 30 miles in heavy rain yesterday and apart from a few drops, my waterproofs were still dry. Storage is not so good but apart from that.

I've been considering a Honda Rebel but I know it is a daft idea for my type of riding.

jezza1
Current Ride: SH300

Post by jezza1 »

Thanks for the response chaps!
I know Stephen - I've been weighing up all of the options in my head for some while now... While I'm in London now (and the SH is superb) I'm about to move out towards Reading that will mean a commute of about 28miles each way the along the motorway (plus travel around M25 with work)so the ability to keep dryish and cruise at 80-90 would be perfect, moreso than the narrow width of the SH....
I did see one of the new SH's that was matt black with an LED headlight the other day though and thought it looked great (mine is an old '07 model)... decisions decisions!!!!!!!

rayb
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300

Post by rayb »

80-90 on the M25? That's some fast filtering :)

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

jezza1 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:11 am Thanks for the response chaps!
I know Stephen - I've been weighing up all of the options in my head for some while now... While I'm in London now (and the SH is superb) I'm about to move out towards Reading that will mean a commute of about 28miles each way the along the motorway (plus travel around M25 with work)so the ability to keep dryish and cruise at 80-90 would be perfect, moreso than the narrow width of the SH....
I did see one of the new SH's that was matt black with an LED headlight the other day though and thought it looked great (mine is an old '07 model)... decisions decisions!!!!!!!
Ah, quite similar journeys. My commute from Essex into London Victoria is around 32 miles and takes in the A12 or M11 (depending on my mood) both 70mph roads, 40 and 50mph limit duals, and then either the Mile End Road and Embankment or across the river at Tower Bridge or Rotherhithe and then round the Elephant & Castle and over Vauxhall Bridge.

The Forza, like your SH runs well at, ahem, "motorway speeds" 8-)

Although the Forza and Xmax both have big boots I have a top box too so that I can carry wet weather gear all the time as well as pack the gear away if I need to go straight to a meeting looking all business-like. I went for a cheap Amazon sourced box at £40 inc adaptor plate.

Negative points for winter commuting:
- Forza switch gear is complicated and so handlebar mitts are best avoided.
- Xmax main beam is pathetic, not fit for purpose and frankly dangerous so do not buy if you will ride on unlit roads.

I can't speak for the Tmax or Burgers, or Syms as I do not have personal experience.
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

SH125Paul
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH125 - NC750X DCT

Post by SH125Paul »

Hi...
Had a XMax400 - the fat arse of the zorst and twin air box drove me mad in that there London Traffic after a few years...
so I bought a SH125 for the commute - Keeping the 400 for the weekend, which lasted a couple of years until Sept when I PX'd it for a NC750X
An XMax 300 or 400 would be maybe more comfortable, and with a little more room and weather protection (but that's what over jacket and over trousers are for - plus the riot shield of an SH screen...) on the M Way and Main Roads...
As for faster - 'prolly not... and you will be 'carrying' all that extra on the filtering and city bits...
Big Wheels n Thin Body win out in the city...
Grass is greener? - Get a test ride...
Heart - New and Shiney (or Matt...)
Head - Keep the SH...

Just re-read ya latest post... Yeah the XMax makes sense... Another option would be to avoid going near Reading ;) ...

So
I have been no help at all :oops: - best you get a demo ride...
Welcome!

kishan
Current Ride: gilera runner 125ST

Post by kishan »

welcome
PIAGGIOOWNERSCLUB.FREEFORUMS.ORG - THE HOME FOR GILERA , APRILIA , PIAGGIO AND VESPA OWNERS.

Symcity
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Post by Symcity »

12 thousand miles annually around London on an 07 plate sh300 is good going - I wonder if the Yamaha would be as resilient - welcome aboard