Ow Doo !

Make your first post here or feel the wrath of the Muppets.
Noggin the Nog
Benefactor
Current Ride: Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive

Ow Doo !

Post by Noggin the Nog »

EX Biker from Dudley, West Mids. I have been off two wheels for 10 yrs cos of arthritis in me neck, back and knees. Really miss riding, rallies etc. so going to give a big scoot a try and see whether its more easier on the skeleton than me last bike: BMW GS1150.
I have been told I am going to be made redundant in the next couple of months, so Im planning on spending me payout money on a second hand silverwing and tour around Europe.
Ive been told the s'wing is a comfortable ride, but as Im 6' 2" will I need one of them Givi screens or is it just a matter of personal preference ?
Will have a lot more questions as Ive been away for so long, so Thanks in advance :D
Noggin.

Bluebottle
Benefactor
Current Ride: Burgman 400 ZA L0

Re: Ow Doo !

Post by Bluebottle »

Welcome aboard

Don't know about Silverwings but somebody will - The Givi AF was definately a good addition to my Burger
WE ARE THE BURG resistance is futile
The Ugly Bunch-1

Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

Hello & Welcome to the icon_muppets.png

geoff
Benefactor
Current Ride: sh300

Post by geoff »

Hello there,& a warm welcome on here,someone with silverwing knowledge will pop up soon I'm sure.

poldark
Current Ride: X9 250Evo+B650[F]+NC750X [GB]

Post by poldark »

Welcome Noggin ;)

Not sure whether to commiserate about your redundancy (been there) or if it's actually a damn good excuse for your road trip. I'm not a huge Silverwing expert but fairly sure with your height you'll need the Givi.

Don't know if you've already considered other scoots and picked your ideal, if not the other option would be a Burgman 650. Most people have a clear preference having ridden both, so if you haven't I'd say ride each before making your final choice.
Honda NC750X DCT (2017)

R1K SU
Current Ride: Burgman 650

Post by R1K SU »

Im 6"1 and the Silverwing seat is a little short for me, feel like Im almost perched on the end, the Burgman 650 is about 1-2" longer and feels a lot better, thats the one I went for :) try both bikes, but the burgman is harder to push backwards out of the garage if you have the engine running :( as it tries to roll forward.
Welcome :) I got my 10K, 1 elderly lady owner 04 plate from MCN classified for £2400
Yam RD350 YPVS
Honda VFR750
Yam RD 350 air
Kawa GT550
Kawa ZZR600
Yam FZ1s
Burgman 650
Honda VFR 1200 DCT....ecu Flashed
Suzuki GSXS1000
Suzuki GSXR1000 K7 😜😜
Zero FXS

VOZZA
Benefactor
Current Ride: Forza 125

Post by VOZZA »

Hi Noggin and welcome icon_wink-.gif Wales.gif
Pete

Vespa GTS300 Super for practical runabout, Triumph Tiger Explorer for conquering the planet. Car almost obsolete.

johnp
Benefactor
Current Ride: The Wife

Post by johnp »

Hi and welcome aboard.
Barnfields Plumbing & Property Services

Noggin the Nog
Benefactor
Current Ride: Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive

Post by Noggin the Nog »

Thanks for the warm welcome guys :D
Will take your advice and try both the s'wing and the burgman, I must admit Ive always liked the look of the burgman 8-)
but one deciding factor will be the width as Ive got to get whatever machine I buy down a narrow passageway with a sharp bend at the bottom, and the burgmans mirrors will probably catch and I will need to drag the back end round to get it through :roll: however, I used to get my 1200 trophy through so I should be able to definitely get a swing through.
And YES redundancy is the ideal excuse to take a road trip, I'm going to take a bit of a holiday :D till the money runs out :roll:
R1K SU, you said that the seat was a little short for you, do you mean that you cant sit back fully in the seat or that you are forced forward by the contour of it ?

Noggin.

Dave Weller
Benefactor
Current Ride: VespaGTS250 Wave110i

Post by Dave Weller »

Noggin, welcome
If you are going for the Burgman, go for a model newer than a K5, as the transmission was strengthened after a few failures, the mirrors can be turned in easy. It is a heavy beast but does carry the weight down low, I've had a couple of Pan-European in the past and think for touring you can't beat a big Maxi-Scoot, somehow the bike is not dictating what speed you should be going, you can concentrate much more on the view. The only other feature worth having on the newer models is an overdrive mode, found by going into manual mode and shifting up, ideal for long motorways and saving fuel.
If you are doing a European ride also include Scotland, you just have to pick the right 'weather window', hopefully I will be up there soon.
Honda NC750 Manual
VESPA GTS250
Royal Enfield HNTR 350
Honda Wave 110i