Oldie newbie with seasickness ...

Make your first post here or feel the wrath of the Muppets.
lingfieldjim

Oldie newbie with seasickness ...

Post by lingfieldjim »

Hi muppets.

Just to avoid the wrath of muppets, a quick intro.

Been lurking on the boards for a few months and have been impressed with the quality of posts along with the general sense of good humour. Did a cbt last year and got a little 125cc Vity to start with. I like the idea of scooters and their practicality in certain urban situation but 60mph and tiny wheels/basic suspension which delivers a kick up the backside over any kind of bump wasn't doing my already aging back any good so i looked to upgrade and recently passed a direct access course.

Great, the choice of any bike to ride. Have you seen the new Honda Gold Wing? Anyway, being half-sensible and realising it's my first big bike I began looking at a range of traditional 500cc bikes but the simple basic appeal of 2-wheel riding to me (comfort/practical/traffic-busting) drew me back to scooters so i'd thought i'd give the much heralded sh300i a test ride.

Nice big wheels and better suspension was a good start. The 31in seat is a little high for my 29in legs but I can get half a foot on the ground so not unbearable. Speed seemed adequate though I wouldn't feel comfortable over 80mph on it, but the whole experience fell apart around town. Any twitch of the throttle caused enough sudden boost or deceleration as to make me feel physically sick after 10 minutes, an experience i've never felt in over 25 years of driving. I realise the engine is more powerful so the acceleration/engine braking feel will be amplified compared to my little Vity but it really put me off.

I don't really fancy a bulky maxi-scoot at this stage (Tmax/Burgman etc - I think they're poor value) so i'm kind of buggered for choice . I would possibly try a Sym if there was a dealer/support network nearby. Piaggio sounds Italian and I don't trust Italian quality (in a nice way). So i'm going to test the new NC700S when it comes out and if it's as comfortable as the CB500 I did my course on I may go for that, so this may be a quick Hello and Goodbye. Anyway thanks for reading - I hope i'm now spared your wrath.

Regards
Jim

johnp
Benefactor
Current Ride: The Wife

Re: Oldie newbie with seasickness ...

Post by johnp »

Hi and welcome aboard.
Barnfields Plumbing & Property Services

Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

Hello & Welcome to the icon_muppets.png

mottza
Admin
Current Ride: 2023 Honda ADV350

Post by mottza »

Hello
2023 Honda ADV350 & 2020 Honda Super Cub 125

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

Very big hello lingfieldjim, NC700 eh....very nice. But don't go, stay! :lol:
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

Funkycowie
Admin
Current Ride: Honda NC750x

Post by Funkycowie »

Theres a nice silver Gilera Nexus 500 on Ebay right now currently at £600ish with 9600 miles on the clocks... seat height is adjustable and its very chuckable.

Re the sudden burst, hold the brake lever slightly on as you accelrate to ease on the power, as for the drop off just ease off the accelerator just using lots of anticipation it shouldn't be so much of a bumpy ride on any bike.

Several ppl on here have motorbikes so feel free to stay :D
ImageImageImageImage
Past Bikes: Piaggio B125, Gilera Nexus 500, TMax MK3 in White, TMax MK3 in Yellow, TMax MK3 in Yellow, Honda NC750x in Blue...