Not sure I belong...

Make your first post here or feel the wrath of the Muppets.
soapywalrus

Not sure I belong...

Post by soapywalrus »

Hola.

Just stumbled across your site being cross-referenced in the TwistnGo forums, so thought I'd come and have a nosy.

I've been riding bikes since I was 16 (now 31) and have had a variety of roadsters, sportsbikes etc etc. Problem is I don't use the bike often enough to justify having it. I'd love to use it to commute but I do a "suits" job in central Manchester which requires me to carry quite a lot of stuff with me. Kitting up to ride the bike, and finding places to store the stuff, is such a pain in the bum that I just don't bother and use the car all the time.

I am coming to think that a big scoot might be the perfect solution.

So the Yamaha YZF750R is going on the market, and at the moment I am thinking it will be replaced with one from the following list...

Silverwing (tested a couple)
T-Max
Burgman
X9
Peugeot Satelis 500

Idea being that I can commute the 15 or so miles in and out of Manchester on it, and it will be big enough for me to use to do more regional visits (I quite regularly have to work in Stoke, Lancaster, Preston, Liverpool etc) on the motorways without feeling weak.

Any advice from you rather more clued up chaps and chapesses would be most welcome!

Looking forward to getting a feel for the site.
Cheers

Soapy

halfabusa
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda NC750X DCT

Re: Not sure I belong...

Post by halfabusa »

First off, welcome! I had a burgman 650 and now have a yamaha tmax and i commuted with both of them into london for the last 5 yrs. I also covered motorway miles in both and i can speak for those two maxis only. They are very well made and very good in satisfying your needs for: -weather protection -storage space -commuting

Although the burgman's proportions were larger, i felt more at ease with it's folding mirrors placed neatly lower than most cars' mirrors whereas on the tmax i need to watch where they are constantly and even end up hitting other mirrors some of the time.

Another downside of tmax is the storage space which is much lower than the burgman, but it's more than enough coming from a standard bike. I do a suit job as well and i stuff my boots and waterproof trousers as well as some other junk into it but need the top box for it, wheras on most cases burgman's storage was enough to stuff everything under the seat.

Disadvantage of the burgman was that it was far too heavy, not when moving or filtering but when pushing it around in parking spaces. Also its build quality was not as good as the yamaha's. My 2003 burgman had flaked alloys but the 2003 tmax right now still has spotless ones. Although it's not a representation of the whole bike's quality, i just wanted to give an example of what i experienced.

There's always a talk about tmax being more sporty and that it's much more faster on the twisties but to be honest, having ridden both with the same skill level that i have, i felt no difference, and i can lean a lot, to the level that center stand scrapes the ground.

Best thing would be for you to have a test ride on as many as you can from your shortlist and come to a decision because like many other things, bike decisions are personal at the end of the day.
ImageImageImageImage

NC750X DCT
FJR1300
Burgman 400 gone
Tmax 500 Sold
Burgman 650 dead...

mightbesane
Benefactor
Current Ride: Burgman 400 K4

Post by mightbesane »

Welcome from the Colonies!

I would just add that I commute about 25 miles round-trip daily on a Burgman 400 from the country to a center city. There's room for my laptop and lots of other stuff under the seat (I've yet to fit the top box), it's lighter than the 650, gets better MPG than the 650, and it cruises quite comfortably at 70 MPH with plenty of throttle left. So if top-end speed isn't a worry but overall weight is a factor, consider the 400.
Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. ~Frank ZappaImage

mottza
Admin
Current Ride: 2023 Honda ADV350

Post by mottza »

Hello

The X9 top box can eat anything!
2023 Honda ADV350 & 2020 Honda Super Cub 125

Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

Hello & Welcome. to the icon_muppets.png

Only scoots i have ever ridden is a 250 Majesty, and the Tmax.
So i would say as others will/may do..................try and get a test ride on some of them.

Bluebottle
Benefactor
Current Ride: Burgman 400 ZA L0

Post by Bluebottle »

Welcome

I'm about the same distance from Manc. (north)
Don't forget that the 2 big Burgmans (400 - 650) are completely different to each other so consider them seperately
WE ARE THE BURG resistance is futile
The Ugly Bunch-1

SH125Paul
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH125 - NC750X DCT

Post by SH125Paul »

Scoots are great...

Use the scoot as a bargaining tool to at least get a couple of test rides on from a dealer. - ya never know may well be able to broker a good px deal for ya YZR...

The thing i found odd going to a scoot from a bike (1000 exup), was that you take most /all your weight thru your arse on a scoot, rather than taking some thru the pegs, especially when cornering... spose a scoot is more like a custom type bike in that respect, but without the real lazy steering... soon get used to it though, just a little more counter steering at the bars needed really...

Enjoy

oh and i'd try and get a go on a T-Max ;-)

Waldorf
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Waldorf »

Hello!
I have a Silverwing and love it - it suits me and does what I want very well indeed.....but I don't have to commute on it every day so I can't comment on that side of it.
I've had 250 and 500 X9s and enjoyed them immensely BUT I'd be wary of buying one now as they are out of production and spares are becoming not so readily available - dealers who can handle them even less so, it seems.

Just my thoughts. ;)
Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
"Ignorant people will always be afraid of what's different and will always mock what they don't understand."
Capitano

Proud to be a member of the Ugly Bunch

johnp
Benefactor
Current Ride: The Wife

Post by johnp »

Hi and welcome aboard.
Test ride them all and buy the one that feels the best to you.
Barnfields Plumbing & Property Services

nexusmaximus
Benefactor
Current Ride: nexus 500-fuoco-burger 650

Post by nexusmaximus »

mottza wrote:Hello

The X9 top box can eat anything!

Even three shredded wheat? :mrgreen:
Image Image Image