Returning to two wheels

Make your first post here or feel the wrath of the Muppets.
Frenchie
Current Ride: Piaggio MP3 500

Returning to two wheels

Post by Frenchie »

Introduce myself, it says. Happy New Year everyone. Looking to return to two wheels after 25 years. Now aged 60.
Living in central France but my office is near Cardiff. Go there for four days, every other week. Otherwise work from home. Almost three years of Ryanair and hire cars is expensive and is doing my head in. A weakened left hand points to a maxi scooter and the mileage involved suggests a Burgman 650. I make it 25,000 miles a year getting to and from home, with another 10,000 miles getting around the UK. Last week was Rochdale, next week it's Ipswich.
Question - would a second hand scooter be a false economy, in terms of reliability?

I have been staggered at the cost of helmets and clothing; goodness knows how young riders get started.

A concern - at 275kg, the Burgman is quite a bit heavier than my last bike, a Guzzi V1000 Convert. I appreciate that the Burgman has a low centre of gravity, but I also know that I don't have the strength I had 25 years ago.

Anyway, that's me. Happy to be here.

kayz1
Benefactor
Current Ride: Scott X-ADV75 + bmw r90s + c70

Re: Returning to two wheels

Post by kayz1 »

Hi Frenchie, Lyn ( male ) in North Wales.
I have had 5 650 Big Burgers and a cracking machine they are, BUT: doing those sort of miles wilcostalot:
I used to get 3 to 4000 from a rear tyre, the fuel consumption is not great at the sort of speeds you WILL
want to do to get to and from. Plus the service intervals are not the best. I think it would be about the most
comfortable and also have very good storage. have you looked at other machines yet? What about the Honda NC
range...scooter like is the Integra 750 any thing up to 90MPG but not a lot of storage room and a chain to oil.
On the other hand service intervals are 8000 miles.
Worth a look.
Lyn.

Scootypuff snr

Post by Scootypuff snr »

Welcome Frenchie,

The France part of your life sounds perfect, the England bit not so.

I used to commute 20K a year and yes the costs can be expensive especially if its done by a dealer sadly Tupperware removal adds to the service costs.

However I think you'll find you'll get a better deal here in the UK on a pre reg or out going model (as well as 0%) than in France.

With Suzuki you will also get a 3 year warranty on a "new" burgman in UK (sure not applicable in EU)

As Lyn says have you considered other models (I was toying with the same options as you) and looked at the mp3 500cc though service intervals are every 5K and cost £300 to £500 minor & major.(dealer figures)

If you don't want triple speed figures outgoing burgman 400 (for undersest storage,though valve check every 15K) or Honda forza 300 (8K service interval)

TBH for that sort of travel mileage I have to conclude you are probably better off with a car such as a dacia (£6K max but basic spec) Citroen C1 (cheapest of the PSA collaboration) or even a smart car.

Keep us posted on how your research and eventual decision.

Ferret
Benefactor
Current Ride: Aprilia srv 850

Post by Ferret »

Bonjour and welcome if you want new at a good price. The sym 600i is a great bit of kit .I however do think you would get a far better deal in France did to the fact that the quantities available .

VOZZA
Benefactor
Current Ride: Forza 125

Post by VOZZA »

Hi Frenchie and welcome. I don't know if you'll save much money doing the commute the way you suggest. As Lyn says the NC will work out cheaper than the Burgman for what you want. icon_wink-.gif Wales.gif
Pete

Vespa GTS300 Super for practical runabout, Triumph Tiger Explorer for conquering the planet. Car almost obsolete.

muddyfox
Benefactor
Current Ride: Yamaha 250r x max

Post by muddyfox »

However your commuting problem is resolved Welcome to MM.
Muddyfox (Nottingham)
Ride safe

Frenchie
Current Ride: Piaggio MP3 500

Post by Frenchie »

Amazing, guys. Thank you so much. More research, clearly. I'll be back, as the big man said.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

rjc1944
Current Ride: 2009 Burgman 400

Post by rjc1944 »

Welcome to the forum. Do have a look at other scoots. The comfiest I've had for long distances was a Honda Silver Wing. By far the most enjoyable was a Yamaha T-Max. Both were reliable.
2009 Burgman 400 in sunny Perranporth :D
Always seek the happy medium - she's out there, riding her scooter.

Liam
Benefactor
Current Ride: Tmax 560 Vespa Sei Giorni

Post by Liam »

Hi Frenchie,, welcome..
That's a lot of miles...
Nice idea,, scooting from France but it won't be cheap,, as others have pointed out. I don't think I could take the pain..
In the wallet or in the arse

kishan
Current Ride: gilera runner 125ST

Post by kishan »

welcome
PIAGGIOOWNERSCLUB.FREEFORUMS.ORG - THE HOME FOR GILERA , APRILIA , PIAGGIO AND VESPA OWNERS.