Returning to two wheels

Make your first post here or feel the wrath of the Muppets.
Symcity
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Re: Returning to two wheels

Post by Symcity »

Frenchie - I've just read this thread from start to finish - you are now 60 years of age and intend returning to motorcycling after 25 years - apparently health / fitness not 100 percent - and you propose commuting from France to Cardiff four days a week in unpredictable British weather on a scooter/ motorcycle - have you factored in the increased risk of accident whilst riding a motorcycle - whilst I don't wish to influence your decision - personally I would seriously think twice before committing to this arduous and strenuous commute

Frenchie
Current Ride: Piaggio MP3 500

Re: RE: Re: Returning to two wheels

Post by Frenchie »

Symcity wrote:Frenchie - I've just read this thread from start to finish - you are now 60 years of age and intend returning to motorcycling after 25 years - apparently health / fitness not 100 percent - and you propose commuting from France to Cardiff four days a week in unpredictable British weather on a scooter/ motorcycle - have you factored in the increased risk of accident whilst riding a motorcycle - whilst I don't wish to influence your decision - personally I would seriously think twice before committing to this arduous and strenuous commute
I greatly appreciate your input.
You are right in almost every detail, except for the frequency of the proposed riding. I get 10 days in France, then 4 in the UK, then the cycle repeats. So it would be a case of leaving home in France in the early hours of Monday morning and getting to the office at tea time. Say 8 hours riding, broken by a 5 hour ferry. Then the reverse on Friday, followed by a week working in the home office in France. Oh, and most UK weeks, there would be hearings on 2-3 of the days. I currently do this in a hire car.
Today, found out that Honda Finance won't play. Nor will my UK bank. Not meant to be, at least for now.
Health is currently pretty good, no medication or anything. Left-hand won't cope with a clutch, that's about all. There would certainly be weeks in the winter when I would've fallen back on Ryanair and Enterprise car hire, when I didn't feel that I could trust the road surface on two wheels.

I'll keep thinking, and dreaming, and saving.
Ride safe.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Symcity
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Post by Symcity »

Ok dude - think carefully

Steevw
Current Ride: Burgman 125

Post by Steevw »

If it's what you want to do, get on, do it and enjoy it. If you don't, you'll just wonder what it'd have been like icon_thumbs_up.gif

Even if you just do it a couple of times, and sell the bike at a bit of a loss after, it's part of the experience of life. Only thing I'd say is, keep your expectations for the first few rides real, enjoy a bit of day off time riding about getting used to it and lengthening the journies until you and the bike have gelled enough.

There's so many bikes about that are available as an auto (even up to the FJR) that you don't need to restrict your viewing to a scooter. There's no right answer, just have a nose about and see what works for you.
Gone for a counselling session with Prof Burgman. icon_maxi_scoot.gif

Frenchie

Re: RE: Re: Returning to two wheels

Post by Frenchie »

Steevw wrote:If it's what you want to do, get on, do it and enjoy it. If you don't, you'll just wonder what it'd have been like icon_thumbs_up.gif

Even if you just do it a couple of times, and sell the bike at a bit of a loss after, it's part of the experience of life. Only thing I'd say is, keep your expectations for the first few rides real, enjoy a bit of day off time riding about getting used to it and lengthening the journies until you and the bike have gelled enough.

There's so many bikes about that are available as an auto (even up to the FJR) that you don't need to restrict your viewing to a scooter. There's no right answer, just have a nose about and see what works for you.
I agree with your outlook, Steevw.
Am increasingly likely to take the plunge. Rode a Piaggio MP3 500 last week in Bristol. Huge fun and harder to fall off. Downend Scooters impressed me as dependable people for the servicing too. No dealers at all in Wales.

Apart from two MZs, I only had Italian bikes. A couple of sources say that Piaggio have sold 70,000 MP3s in France, so how unreliable can they be?

Our car is on its last legs, so we are due to collect a used Opel Astra next week. Funny thing, my credit rating in the UK is through the floor, not even a phone contract, but here in France, we got a mortgage two years ago and just got a bank loan at 3% for the car. It may slow down getting a scooter but I intend to begin getting riding gear together in the coming days.

Am tempted by a PCP option. Has anyone any experience of these, good or bad?

Thanks

The Bern
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silverwing 600

Post by The Bern »

Buy your bike in France, Honda SW-T 400 should do all you want
Have wheels, will travel :D

Steevw
Current Ride: Burgman 125

Post by Steevw »

Probably works out cheaper there anyway, given the exchange rate.
Gone for a counselling session with Prof Burgman. icon_maxi_scoot.gif

stevew
Benefactor
Current Ride: Maxsym 400i

Post by stevew »

The Bern wrote:Buy your bike in France, Honda SW-T 400 should do all you want
Not sure if it will do all the OP wants. Similar spec to my Maxsym. Fine on long motorway stuff, except that 80mph is sustainable but a little frantic. OK for a couple of holidays but not for twice a week.
My choice would be a DCT NC750X, or an Integra, with panniers and learn to live with the chain.
Bit like this;-
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/bikes-for ... 0/3435692/
Orpington, UK
2014-Honda Wave 110i
2013-Sym Maxsym 400i

RuffStuff

Post by RuffStuff »

Bit off topic but I smashed my left wrist and hand plus nerve damage in a crash and was left pretty useless but was pointed towards a powerball by a mx rider, it's a gyro you fight to increase grip, I also use just a cheap gel egg from decathalon. It's still weak but a million times better than it was, I'd recommend something like that to help against fatigue but also give braking power.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Frenchie

Post by Frenchie »

Things have moved on, sort of.
Pretty much decided on a Piaggio MP3 500, 2 test rides at an impressive dealership in North Bristol were hugely enjoyable. Had got as far as buying a pair of motorcycle boots!
But, no credit available to me in the UK, despite my best efforts.
The finance on the replacement car in France also fell through. So the car has to come first. I see that being sorted in the next three months, and the focus can then swing back to my transport needs.
Till then, it's good old Ryanair.
Bonne journée !