Hello from Sunny Thailand

Make your first post here or feel the wrath of the Muppets.
llotse

Hello from Sunny Thailand

Post by llotse »

Hi, just thought I had better follow the rules and introduce myself as I am going to buy a scoot, probably an XMax 300. I work in Australia, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore and Thailand, I am from Yorkshire but my wife and I decided to move to Asia to be nearer work and cut down on the flying. That's the crap bit out of the way. So in my deranged state of mind I have decided to buy a maxi scooter in Thailand as its quite safe and there are only 70 deaths a day on the roads (depending on which source of info you use). My wife already has a 125 Grand Filano, not sure if you can get them in the UK? An Xmax 300 costs 3911 sterling on the road (no pound sign on this keyboard) which I think is a bit cheaper than the UK? Not sure if the Xmax 400 or 400 Burgman will be released in Thailand in the near future or at all. The Kawasaki J(?)300 has not been released so far. I can find no reliable source for Kymco or Sym so its a small list to choose from.

I ride a 1991 R80GS pootling about Yorkshire, and have an R1200RT for our yearly European tours. In fact, two months ago, we rode to Monaco down the Route Napolean and French Alps. It was in Monaco that those 'little' scoots caught my interest, buggers were all over me, couldn't keep up, I was sweating in all the gear and they were in shorts and tshirts! The light came on and I thought when I get back to Thailand I will have one of those. So I will be hanging about a bit, searching posts and asking stupid newbie questions. I am not completely stupid though as I have bought a Shark Drak helmet and not a paper mache Thai one. I also bought a Spidi mesh jacket with armour.

It is illegal to ride a bike without a helmet in Thailand but non of the 3 or 4 passengers have to have one :shock:

Alanzzg
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silverwing

Re: Hello from Sunny Thailand

Post by Alanzzg »

Hi and welcome to the icon_muppets.png icon_maxi_scoot.gif icon_moped.gif
Member of The Ugly Bunch -2
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly,

muddyfox
Benefactor
Current Ride: Yamaha 250r x max

Post by muddyfox »

Welcome Ilotse. You are certainly making an X Max 250 owner very envious with your travelling life and motorcycle collection. Not sure how far you have delved into the forum but here is a link to Stephenc and his recently purchased X Max300
http://www.maxi-muppets.co.uk/forum/vie ... =6&t=20655
Don't forget to look Maxi Muppets up on Facebook and remember we all like to see photos so make full use of the Showroom section. Participate and enjoy.
Muddyfox (Nottingham)
Ride safe

Bobs

Post by Bobs »

"I work in Australia, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore and Thailand"... Heres me umming and arrghing about doing more than a 30 minute commute.

Scooters great, I've just made the transition from full size motorcycle to scoot and did indeed enjoy the summer bombing about in t-shirt and shorts... BUT if you come off your still going to do lots of damage and you'll wish you had sweated it out in your motorcycle kit.

Welcome to the forum, from another newbie.

The Bern
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silverwing 600

Post by The Bern »

:) Hello & Welcome :)
Have wheels, will travel :D

VOZZA
Benefactor
Current Ride: Forza 125

Post by VOZZA »

Hi llotse and welcome. icon_wink-.gif Wales.gif
Pete

Vespa GTS300 Super for practical runabout, Triumph Tiger Explorer for conquering the planet. Car almost obsolete.

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

£1100 cheaper :cry: I guess a Yorkshireman will always beat an Essex Boy for getting a good deal. :lol:

Welcome anyway.

I wouldn't worry about Xmax 400 (although others may disagree) as it only has 3hp more and is heavier. Is the spec the same over where you are compared to the UK version? We get ABS, traction control and keyless. I hope you have more colour choice than we do, which is black, white or brown.
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

llotse

Post by llotse »

Many thanks for the welcomes, seems like a friendly place. Don't get too excited about my commute, it is truly awful, airport queue after airport queue after airport queue. Checked the link to Stephenc's post and I think it has made my mind up, I shall order it when I get back, one month for delivery from order. We have five colour options as we have a matt grey and a dayglo yellow, I might go with the grey (same as my R1200). As far as I can tell the bikes are the same as the UK with Keyless, ABS, traction etc. Interesting that the 400 only has 3bhp more? Seems like the 300 is a better option all round? The seat is big enough for me and the Mrs plus we can take our two nieces to school in the morning :shock: when in Rome etc.....

I shall buy some more protective gear for the longer rides and we are approaching the cooler seasons now, it can get down to 24 during the day and 13 at night. Might even try one of those shirts you fill with water and it evaporates on your skin leaving you nice and cool. Lots to look forward too and pics to follow, I will put the bike into the back of our pick up and make the long drive up to Chiang Mai where we can ride the Mae Son Hong Loop https://www.google.com.au/search?q=mae+ ... 0&bih=1094

Scootypuff snr

Post by Scootypuff snr »

llotse
Belated welcome. Looking forward to your pictures

I know what you mean about the scooters in Monaco I was riding a V-Strom & as we rode the tunnels I had scooters hanging off my bar ends

kishan
Current Ride: gilera runner 125ST

Post by kishan »

welcome to MM
PIAGGIOOWNERSCLUB.FREEFORUMS.ORG - THE HOME FOR GILERA , APRILIA , PIAGGIO AND VESPA OWNERS.