Back in the saddle again

Make your first post here or feel the wrath of the Muppets.
MattColchester

Back in the saddle again

Post by MattColchester »

Hello,

I last rode a moped (think it was a Suzuki, 50cc twist and go) back in the 90s when I was just 16 and loved it but as per the usual, as soon as I passed my car test a year later, I took to driving a car as that was what you did and were encouraged to do. Fast forward 20 years and I've been driving cars ever since. The thrill has long gone, I have a reasonably nice car albeit 10 years old and bit tatty around the edges now but driving doesn't give me 'that feeling' anymore that it once did. Its become monotonous and routine.

The idea of getting back on a bike has been swirling around in my mind more and more recently. For commuting (2-3 mile trips only)/trips to the gym/into town etc. No experience of geared bikes and I like the look of scooters more than traditional bikes.
I have spent an extraordinary amount of time on Ebay and Gumtree recently looking through scooter adverts and after some Google searches, discovered this place. I'm hoping to get some advice on most suitable scooter for me for which I'll post a question elsewhere here hopefully. Just wanted to say hello!

Matt

mottza
Admin
Current Ride: 2023 Honda ADV350

Re: Back in the saddle again

Post by mottza »

Hello from Wivenhoe.
2023 Honda ADV350 & 2020 Honda Super Cub 125

SH125Paul
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH125 - NC750X DCT

Post by SH125Paul »

Welcome...
Scooters are the future...
You have to look at the licencing aspect...
Back to a 50cc which you should be able to ride on your licence, or 125cc with L plates and 2 year CBT to make up ya mind...
Would recommend doing a CBT after 20 years of a scoot any way...
You could do the CBT with a hired scoot - just to make sure!
Enjoy
Just seen you other post... Enjoy your CBT...

Scootypuff snr

Post by Scootypuff snr »

Matt

Welcome from the Suffolk side of Colchester.

I use my scooters to get into town all the time (and parking is free)

muddyfox
Benefactor
Current Ride: Yamaha 250r x max

Post by muddyfox »

Welcome. You are definitely looking at the right mode of transport. You don't state what type of licence you hold regarding two wheels but whatever it is please take some form of training/retraining. Keep us all updated.
Muddyfox (Nottingham)
Ride safe

kishan
Current Ride: gilera runner 125ST

Post by kishan »

welcome
PIAGGIOOWNERSCLUB.FREEFORUMS.ORG - THE HOME FOR GILERA , APRILIA , PIAGGIO AND VESPA OWNERS.

MattColchester

Post by MattColchester »

mottza wrote:Hello from Wivenhoe.
Hello again and thanks. Ah, that’s how you know about MOT A Bike shop..I’ve actually signed up for the Winter Wobble Run round your way in December. Involves 10 miles run somewhere between Wivenhoe and Rowhedge, mulled wine at the start, whisky in the middle and a drink to finish. Should be interesting...

Scootypuff snr wrote:Matt

Welcome from the Suffolk side of Colchester.

I use my scooters to get into town all the time (and parking is free)
Hello again. Thanks for the offer once more. No doubt you’ve probably rode past mine on the way.
muddyfox wrote:Welcome. You are definitely looking at the right mode of transport. You don't state what type of licence you hold regarding two wheels but whatever it is please take some form of training/retraining. Keep us all updated.
Thanks muddyfox. I have a full car licence from 1997 and am doing a CBT on Saturday as refresher.

XMax400Paul wrote:Welcome...
Scooters are the future...
You have to look at the licencing aspect...
Back to a 50cc which you should be able to ride on your licence, or 125cc with L plates and 2 year CBT to make up ya mind...
Would recommend doing a CBT after 20 years of a scoot any way...
You could do the CBT with a hired scoot - just to make sure!
Enjoy
Just seen you other post... Enjoy your CBT...
Thanks Paul. Looking forward to CBT, but just a bit concerned how I’ll cope with the gears. Only ever tried a geared bike briefly riding off-road over 20 years ago and didn’t get on well. I do drive a manual car since so hopefully that will help. I’ll update here afterwards.

Thanks all.

road runner
Benefactor
Current Ride: MaxSYM 600i + Vespa GTS

Post by road runner »

Hello from Tiptree. I hope that winter wobble run is on two legs and not two wheels.
Yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery but today is a gift!

MattColchester

Post by MattColchester »

road runner wrote:Hello from Tiptree. I hope that winter wobble run is on two legs and not two wheels.
Hello and thanks RR. I go fishing out your way sometimes. Yes, on two legs, please. Going to be rather interesting running 10 miles with whisky and mulled wine in the belly.

Steve_D
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Post by Steve_D »

MattColchester wrote:
Looking forward to CBT, but just a bit concerned how I’ll cope with the gears. Only ever tried a geared bike briefly riding off-road over 20 years ago and didn’t get on well. I do drive a manual car since so hopefully that will help. I’ll update here afterwards.

Thanks all.
You won’t be using gears on a CBT - I’ve only ever seen them done on a 50cc scooter anyway.
Paddle harder. I can hear banjo music!

Honda SH300i