New here, Tmax brakes?

Make your first post here or feel the wrath of the Muppets.
Drew
Current Ride: Tmax500

New here, Tmax brakes?

Post by Drew »

Hi all

After many many years not commuting on a bike I have picked up a mint and very little used T max mk2 (6000 miles). My commute is 56 miles a day on a mixture of fast lanes and city traffic. I am finding the front twin discs a little lacking even with new quality pads and fresh fluid. I've spent too may years racing bikes that will stand on the front wheel with two finger pressure on the lever!

Question is will the later four pot calipers from a 530 swop for the twin pot sliding calipers without a mounting plate being made?

I don't really want to change the master cylinder but will probably pop breaded lines on.
Cheers

kishan
Current Ride: gilera runner 125ST

Re: New here, Tmax brakes?

Post by kishan »

welcome to MM
PIAGGIOOWNERSCLUB.FREEFORUMS.ORG - THE HOME FOR GILERA , APRILIA , PIAGGIO AND VESPA OWNERS.

The Bern
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silverwing 600

Post by The Bern »

Hello & welcome

When you say "quality pads" what exactly do you mean ?

Are you using just the front brake lever or both levers ?
Have wheels, will travel :D

Drew
Current Ride: Tmax500

Post by Drew »

I have used Brembo pads (ie not cheap Chinese stuf). I'm braking as you should, using correct front rear bias.

There is nothing actually wrong with the front brakes that the average Joe on a bike would notice I would just like some more feel and initial power. Two pot sliding calipers will never have the feel and bite of fixed four pots.

So, does anyone know if the later calipers will fit the Mk2 mount points?

Cheers

The Bern
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silverwing 600

Post by The Bern »

Sorry, my bad, what I meant was NOT what brand, what I meant was what material ??
I believe the genreal concensus is that on the Tmax organic pads will outbrake other more exotic materials (sintered, carbon, etc)
Have wheels, will travel :D

Pukmeister
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2011 Tmax + 2019 R1250GSA

Post by Pukmeister »

I guess the only way is to measure the mounting bolt centres for the calipers and compare with the later 4-pots from Mk3's onwards?

The gold-spot 4 pot calipers on my Mk 3 has 100mm mounting bolt centres. I dont know if the disk diameters are the same, or the master cylinder diameters, I guess you need to do some research.

The Mk3's brakes are like a mini version of my R1's blue spots and almost as effective, though I used a fast road/trackday compound pad in that (Bendix MRR which are amazing even from cold).

Oh yes I almost forgot my manners, welcome to the forum too.

2wheelover51
Current Ride: 2012 Burgman 400 Limited

Post by 2wheelover51 »

Welcome to the forum. The Mk 3 also has the 4 pots and I've just cleaned and replaced my pads with cheap "Kyoto" (Chinese?) organic pads which I use on all my bikes. My TMax will brake so hard that if I were to use all it's braking power I would be off the front. (no exaggeration)
In my experience sliding 2 pots can perform just as well as 4 pots, if they're well designed brakes and in good order. Ask anyone who'se ever ridden a 650 Deauville with the separate Brembo 2 pots, they're among some of the best brakes of any bike I've ever ridden.