Looking to move up in the scooter world

Make your first post here or feel the wrath of the Muppets.
OneFootInTheGravy
Benefactor
Current Ride: Vespa GTS 300

Looking to move up in the scooter world

Post by OneFootInTheGravy »

I've been riding motorbikes since I was 16, my first ever scooter was an Italjet Dragster 180 (2 stroke, orange with the blue frame). I'd taken my ZX6R in for a service and saw it sitting there in the corner of the showroom, got chatting to the salesman about it who let me borrow it while the Kawasaki was being looked at. It was fair to say that it was love at ride, after the test ride I came back the the showroom and bought it there and then. What a great little scoot it was, in its own way it was so much more fun than the ninja; it turned heads everywhere I went, and accelerated like a rocket! And it was so much more satisfying to race cars away from lights on. On a 600cc sportsbike car drivers knew they didn’t stand a chance, but when you pulled up next to someone on the Dragster and gave then the nod, they’d never take you seriously, until the lights turned green that is! MX5 drivers were usually the best, they’d always be game but would never win! The only car I ever lost to was an AMG Merc (I forget which model but it was a large estate), I kept up with him until about 55/60mph then he just disappeared!

Anyway, fast forward a few years, (I’d stopped riding, got married, had kids, and all that other boring stuff) I started a new job 2 years ago and soon discovered that the business park the office was on turned in one big car park come 5pm, and the 5 mile commute home was taking me over an hour some nights! Cue the purchase of a second hand Yamaha Vity 125 from gumtree! It’s not a patch on the old Italjet but its practical, cheap to run and great for filtering (and the scariest thing in the world to ride in the wet!). So after 2 years on the Vity, I think it’s about time to get something a little nicer now that I know I’m going to stick to commuting on 2 wheels. I like that look of the Xmax 300 but I don’t think the wife would let me spend that much. There are lots of J300’s second hand right now which I might consider. But that said, I had a go on the new Speedfighter 4 125 the other day while the Vity was in for a new back break and was really impressed, but are 40 year olds allowed to own a Speedfighter! (or are they solely for 17 year old chavs!?)

mottza
Admin
Current Ride: 2023 Honda ADV350

Re: Looking to move up in the scooter world

Post by mottza »

Look for a second hand Forza 300. Great scooter!
2023 Honda ADV350 & 2020 Honda Super Cub 125

OneFootInTheGravy
Benefactor

Hi Mottza, i thought about the Forza but I wanted to wait and see what the 2nd hand prices do when the new model comes out later this year

rayb
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300

Post by rayb »

SH300?

mottza
Admin
Current Ride: 2023 Honda ADV350

Post by mottza »

Good but ugly... Probably a better bet for a city commute for filtering and slightly quicker off the lights than the Forza.
2023 Honda ADV350 & 2020 Honda Super Cub 125

rjc1944
Current Ride: 2009 Burgman 400

Post by rjc1944 »

Why not get a REAL scooter - 300 GTS Vespa! Otherwise try a 400 Burgman - light enough for traffic, quick enough for fun and big enough for comfort. Sorted.
2009 Burgman 400 in sunny Perranporth :D
Always seek the happy medium - she's out there, riding her scooter.

rayb
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300

Post by rayb »

mottza wrote:Good but ugly... Probably a better bet for a city commute for filtering and slightly quicker off the lights than the Forza.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :)

OneFootInTheGravy
Benefactor

mottza wrote:
Good but ugly... Probably a better bet for a city commute for filtering and slightly quicker off the lights than the Forza.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :)
I'm with mottza in the ugly camp when it comes to the SH (not that my Vity is much of a looker!)

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

I had a J300SE-ABS for 3 years from new. It looks good and is very very good to ride - much more exciting than my current Xmax300. If you enjoyed the Dragster I'd suggest you would love a J300.
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

kayz1
Benefactor
Current Ride: Scott X-ADV75 + bmw r90s + c70

Post by kayz1 »

I bought J300 last November for winter use, very impressed with it...all apart from the
lac of foot room, i only have uro43 feet so not huge compared with some...plus the under
seat space looks massif until you try to put stuff in it, but it does go well..
Lyn.