From a bruiser to a tiddler

Make your first post here or feel the wrath of the Muppets.
BigFatDonkey
Benefactor

From a bruiser to a tiddler

Post by BigFatDonkey »

Hello folks,

New job in central London means picking the right tool to get me there and my 150bhp tourer with massively wide mirrors is definitely not the right tool.

I'm looking at maybe switching to a Yam XMAX 400 for a 70 mile round trip that has some motorway ending with central London and the tight traffic that ensures.

Will the 400 be a good choice and stand up to 70 miles a day?

Cheers and nice forum you have here

Scootypuff snr

Re: From a bruiser to a tiddler

Post by Scootypuff snr »

welcome BFD

Having commuted to London for years on every type of bike I can confirm a scooter is the best tool for the job.

70 miles per day no issue for a 400 (I used a burgman 400 for longer miles) but remember in winter usage the bodywork can hide trapped salt/crud.

If it's long termer although I'm not an advocate of high mile services Honda offer 8k miles between believe Yamaha are 5k? but sure somebody will confirm

SH125Paul
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH125 - NC750X DCT

Post by SH125Paul »

70 miles for an XMax400 would be fine...
I have the early '13 version - Expect about 65mpg - 140ish tank range...
Commuted 35 miles round trip in stop start traffic from SE London / Kent to Central London for 2 years on mine
Then got an SH125 in '15 - Tool for the Job for my commute - The Xmax 400 has a bit of a Fat Arse with the twin air boxes and 'Zorst... so went slimmer to assist with filtering etc. Wasn't bad at all but the 'lil SH125 @ 110 mpg etc made sense...
All depends on ya road.
XMax currently at 24,000 miles and being on Weekend duties since - 1000 a year...
SH at 20,000 miles - 'bout 8000 a year on the commute...

SH300? - 'spose the XMax will give greater weather protection on the MWay...

mottza
Admin
Current Ride: 2023 Honda ADV350

Post by mottza »

SH300 is the filtering and speed king.
2023 Honda ADV350 & 2020 Honda Super Cub 125

BigFatDonkey
Benefactor

Post by BigFatDonkey »

Thanks for the welcome and info guys.

I tested a 400 today, a 2015 model. It felt nippy off the line, didn't manage to find an open road to get it up to motorway speeds but managed nearly 60 and it felt OK. The engine is a bit agricultural but can live with that easily. I didn't feel as protected from the elements as I expected to but it was comfortable enough.

Obviously coming from a big bike it felt odd but I'd soon get used to it - I just can't shake the thought that it's not up to the task - in my head it's a diddy scooter but in reality I'm sure it will cope fine.

SH125Paul
Benefactor

Post by SH125Paul »

Is it the M Way bit that's of concern? what's the split MWay/A Road/City Center mileage... realistically you are looking at 60-70/40s/20s mph
Scoots are great and I'd never look back for my use... as for agricultural - it is a single cylinder...
took a while getting used to - like riding perpetual clutch slip!... corner under load rather than a neutral throttle etc...
Oil every 3000, belt/rollers every 12,000 - Home service or dealer?
but would one of those DCT Honda things be more ya weapon of choice...
you were lucky-ish to get a test ride on a scoot... howz about trying a DCT thingy...

Take a look at some recent posts from the new bloke on Visordown... sings the praises of a 400 Burgman scooter... might help make ya mind up...

BigFatDonkey
Benefactor

Post by BigFatDonkey »

Hi Paul,

The thing is I'm basing my thoughts on my current commute which is A3, M25, M3 but that is changing to a bit of 70mph A3 then down to 50mph and into central London - I'm looking at about 10 miles each way of 70mph which the max will be fine with.

I'm on the verge of picking up the phone and putting down a deposit.

BigFatDonkey
Benefactor

Post by BigFatDonkey »

Well it looks like I'm collecting the bike tomorrow.

SH125Paul
Benefactor

Post by SH125Paul »

You've done it now... :D
I've sent you a pm that may help...

muddyfox
Benefactor
Current Ride: Yamaha 250r x max

Post by muddyfox »

Great choice of scooter. Keep us updated.
Muddyfox (Nottingham)
Ride safe