Hello all

Make your first post here or feel the wrath of the Muppets.
defscoot
Current Ride: Burgman 650

Hello all

Post by defscoot »

Hi all,

Nice to find a forum all about maxi scooters.

Only been on two wheels for 3 months having never ridden before (aged 43). I'm currently riding a CB125F and making my way towards a full bike licence. Just MOD 2 to do.

Once I have my licence, I thought I wanted to get a bigger bike such as a CB500X but I can't shake this feeling that I'd prefer a maxi scooter.

Whenever I'm at some biker cafe/stop I'm always drawn to maxi scooters rather than bikes. I'm not bothered about speed or horse power, I just want to ride nice roads in awesome scenery while being in comfort. I like the idea of weather protection and storage too.

One thing I have noticed is that there doesn't seem to be much respect for scooter owners from bikers. I've just been getting to know more and more people in the biker community and when I mention I'd rather have a scooter, they seem to look down on me and say I shouldn't get one.

It's very odd, I don't understand it.

Makes me want to get one even more!

Anyway, while I progress through MOD 2 I have my eye on a 125cc Yamaha XMAX. I might try that and if I love it (which I think I will), once I get the bike licence I'll look at the 400/650cc Maxis.

I'm in Harrogate (North Yorkshire), anyone else close that like to go on scooter trips out?

muddyfox
Benefactor
Current Ride: Yamaha 250r x max

Re: Hello all

Post by muddyfox »

Welcome defscoot. I'm a convert myself. 45 years on a motorbike of one sort or another. Medical problems meant scooters were a much more practical option. Wish I'd discovered them years ago. The Maxi Muppets are very informal and you often find a good mix of all engine sizes, makes of scooter and motorbikes on their runs out. Check out the Mini Muppets section but don't feel that's were you belong. If you think motorbikers look down on scooter riders wait until you bump into "trad" scooterist. Participate and enjoy this forum. Don't forget to check out the Maxi Muppets Facebook page.
Muddyfox (Nottingham)
Ride safe

defscoot

Post by defscoot »

Thanks muddyfox.

"If you think motorbikers look down on scooter riders wait until you bump into "trad" scooterist" - haha :-D

I'll have a look for the facebook page.

Scootypuff snr

Post by Scootypuff snr »

Welcome,

The reason bikers look down is because they lack imagination & who wants to walk like a thunderbird puppet in one piece race leathers

The Bern
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silverwing 600

Post by The Bern »

:) Hello & Welcome bud :)
Have wheels, will travel :D

Alanzzg
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silverwing

Post by Alanzzg »

Hi and welcome to the icon_maxi_scoot.gif icon_moped.gif icon_muppets.png
Member of The Ugly Bunch -2
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly,

defscoot

Post by defscoot »

Thanks all for the warm welcome.

mottza
Admin
Current Ride: 2023 Honda ADV350

Post by mottza »

Hello
2023 Honda ADV350 & 2020 Honda Super Cub 125

roadster
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silence S01

Post by roadster »

I'm one of those lucky so and sos that owns a scooter and a 'proper' bike. Its very sad when I get a bad attitude from other bikes while on the scooter but its just a few immature hooligans that give us all a bad name. The scooter gets used every other day so if you want to go shopping, go to work, pay a social call where leathers are not appropriate, avoid having to walk around in full biking gear on a hot day like today, etc. etc. the maxi scooter will do it all. Its also much easier to ride and far more comfortable in traffic where that is unavoidable.
I love riding the Triumph but its only for the joy of riding itself so it only gets used a few times a month and almost never in the winter.
I'm sure those are the considerations that will inform your decision, please do enjoy the process and the riding.
Located on UK South Coast
SYM Joymax 125 and Honda CB300R. Previously Silence S01, Kymco AK550, Triumph Tiger 850, Triumph Street Twin etc...

kermitoo

Post by kermitoo »

Welcome Defscoot...Like many here I have owned very powerful bikes for a number of years then and also for medical reason , had to choose a scooter...and I hesitated so many weeks before I got one...Now ...i am always on the thing ( xmax 300) and wiz through every bit of england/Scotland I can...visiting, riding, etc etc...I too see the other bikers but they all seem to wave at me when passing...some dont and overtake me in a "showing off" way...the good thing with these is that I always catch up with them and overtake them again on the twisties or filtering...( my master skills)..lol...I never regretted buying the scooter...it is fast when I need it to be, protects well against the elements etc etc...You could get both..scooter and bikes..it doesn't really matter as long as you ride anywhere, anytime, all the time..:) So welcome to this forum and see you soon on these gorgeous Yorkshire roads and beyond..:)