Never scooted before!

Make your first post here or feel the wrath of the Muppets.
riders in the storm
Benefactor
Current Ride: HondaNC750X+HondaCRF300Rally

Never scooted before!

Post by riders in the storm »

Greetings folks....

I'm new to the scooter world, having ridden bikes since I was 12, and thats 40+ years ago........!

I've just traded my Suzuki Vstrom 650 for a new Kawasaki J300.....

I wanted something a bit lighter as my bike/scoot is mainly used as a support vehicle towed behind the motorhome and I was finding it a struggle to get the 650 up onto a trailer. I'm figuring the lighter weight and lower centre of gravity of the scooter should make this easier... I also wanted the slightly better weather protection a scooter seems to offer, and the vastly more storage for when I go out for the day exploring.

Bought it from my local dealer and rode it home 30 miles. It felt very strange and fidgety at first, sort of sat in it rather than on it, and the smaller wheels seemed to follow lines in the road more..?

But by the time I got home I was loving it, running it in obviously but I noticed how easy it was to pull away from lights quickly, no clutch or gears just all go at the flick of a wrist....!

Specced it with the optional tall screen & sat nav bracket, and have fitted R & G mirror risers, Optimate connection and got a Givi topbox on order, and am going to make some sort of additional radiator guard & extended front mudguard as the rad looks quite vulnerable...?

Finally, I've noticed there dont seem to be many J300 owners on here, have I made a big mistake.....? :o
HondaCRF300Rally, Honda NC750X

SH125Paul
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH125 - NC750X DCT

Re: Never scooted before!

Post by SH125Paul »

How do...
No mistake... Horses for courses... Was a few J300 owners on here... I think some have gone XMax300...
Other option is the SH300, Forza 300...
Enjoy ya ride!

bustupbiker
Current Ride: X-ADV

Post by bustupbiker »

Just sold mine, was a great scoot but i need a little more leg room with a duff leg. I could not find heated grips for it thou, the right grip is the tube also so if you pull off the grip ( but you can not ) then you would not have a throttle tube !!!! stopped looking when Kawasaki told me that.

muddyfox
Benefactor
Current Ride: Yamaha 250r x max

Post by muddyfox »

Welcome. Nothing wrong with the J300. Some don't like the fact you cannot get true feet forward position on it but personally, as an ex motorcyclist, it is not a position I find desirable.
Muddyfox (Nottingham)
Ride safe

Bern

Post by Bern »

:) Hello & Welcome bud :)

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

Hi. I had one for 3 years and loved it. Would of had another but the Xmax 300 seemed a better bet overall as Kawasaki have never really updated the J300 since launch.
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

SH125Paul
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH125 - NC750X DCT

Post by SH125Paul »

bustupbiker wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:38 pm Just sold mine, was a great scoot but i need a little more leg room with a duff leg. I could not find heated grips for it thou, the right grip is the tube also so if you pull off the grip ( but you can not ) then you would not have a throttle tube !!!! stopped looking when Kawasaki told me that.
Option would be the Oxford heated grip wraps - not ideal, but when needs must...

bustupbiker
Current Ride: X-ADV

Post by bustupbiker »

I have a pair of the Oxford wraps, i bought them for Pat.
I wrap them around the pillion grab rails and power them from under the seat..
Always keep the boss happy.
Lyn.

mottza
Admin
Current Ride: 2023 Honda ADV350

Post by mottza »

Hello
2023 Honda ADV350 & 2020 Honda Super Cub 125

Snail
Current Ride: Burgman