XMax 300 headlight

Make your first post here or feel the wrath of the Muppets.
bluecore_68

Re: XMax 300 headlight

Post by bluecore_68 »

StephenC it's ok sir I worded it wrong cant just find the words to describe it 😊.

Normsthename
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield Classic 350

Post by Normsthename »

I suppose the weight of the rider may have some effect I know I eat to many pies so maybe some bearing on it
I am definitely no lightweight!
Being heavier would make the beam alignment worse (Better) and raise the beam, same as if carrying a pillion.
I have a garage door with horizontal slats fitted.
When I pull up to my house in my little electric car at night the cars beam cuts off at 9 slats high, so that will be a good check to do with the scoot to see how high it is currently set :)

Andy
2024 Royal Enfield Classic 350
1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing
2016 Microcar MGO3 - 4 wheeled Scooter with a roof :D

Greyerbeard
Current Ride: Any of the below

Post by Greyerbeard »

Slightly associated...just how do you get that front panel off to get at the battery, lights etc.??
I've undone the screws and pulled it so hard downwards and forwards that it's felt like it'll snap in two, and the damn thing still won't shift...
1981 Triumph T140ES
1989 Honda C90
2019 Triumph Street Scrambler 900
2021 Honda Forza 350

muddyfox
Benefactor
Current Ride: Yamaha 250r x max

Post by muddyfox »

Greybeard on my 2014 X Max there is also a "poppet" stud at the bottom that requires releasing by pushing a thin screw driver into its centre. Took me ages to find it as it's colour matched and sit very flush.
Muddyfox (Nottingham)
Ride safe

Ralph
Current Ride: Yamaha X-max 300 300

Post by Ralph »

Next to were you took out the 2 screws the front panel needs to be pulled out as in sideways you don,t need to go mad once it
pops out sideways you can pull it downwards.
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

Yes, it feels like it might snap but it does need a firm pull to come off.
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

Deleted User 7142

Post by Deleted User 7142 »

When i was fitting my optimate leads to the battery i also took the screen off as its just gives more room to work in and around the battery.
i actually found the front panel easy compared to what i had to take apart to fit the rear tail tidy and back seat rest,even the aluminium foot rests require quite a bit of messing about.
If anyone ever does this make sure you have some magnetic trays to keep from losing anything,and give yourself plenty of time.

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

Just had an interesting chat with a copper who has been issued with an Xmax 300. The MP3 he described as a not very nice word, the BMW C-Evolution was good but they were given the short range one. Apparently the long range ones are giving them 120 miles and they are well pleased.

But to the Xmax. We agreed that it was overall a superb bike with good storage and excellent economy. We also agreed that the main beam was useless, to the point where they don't bother to use it. He told me that official complaints about it have been laid. Not sure if that is just to the transport team in his force so far or whether it has gone to Yamaha UK yet, but either way - if the plod think it's bad enough to be worth officially grousing about, then there is hope that Yamaha might see the light and give the next Xmax iteration a better main. Fingers crossed.
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

Greyerbeard
Current Ride: Any of the below

Post by Greyerbeard »

It's an odd one, isn't it - effectively a vehicle without a main headlight beam - wonder how they'll get on at MoT time?
I'm lucky enough never to need to ride in the dark these days; but I couldn't tolerate it if I did, despite the rest of the bike being excellent...
1981 Triumph T140ES
1989 Honda C90
2019 Triumph Street Scrambler 900
2021 Honda Forza 350

Spoogle
Current Ride: X-Max 400 ABS

Post by Spoogle »

The Xmax is a fantastic machine indeed but the full beam headlight is awful, so much so that my dealer upon seeing it has agreed to fit auxiliary lights free of charge. There have been numerous conversations with Yamaha UK and although they are aware of a "possible" issue with them they have not come right out and said it. Although I expect the next batch of bikes will have been fixed....