Lincolnshire Lad

Make your first post here or feel the wrath of the Muppets.
PeterC
Current Ride: Burgman 400

Lincolnshire Lad

Post by PeterC »

Hi all. Looking to find an alternative to the heavy touring bikes owned up to now for 2 up riding, usual reasons of age and don't need/want the excess power anymore. I'm on a pretty limited budget so considering some of the less expensive options first. Anyone have an opinion on the XEvo 400? I like the looks and lower weight compared to some, but is it roomy enough (I'm tall, wife is short!)?
Cheers.

poldark
Current Ride: X9 250Evo+B650[F]+NC750X [GB]

Re: Lincolnshire Lad

Post by poldark »

Can you give us a bit more info about your planned use, will it be primarily 2-up riding? What daily distance do you expect, UK or overseas?

What sort of roads and ave speeds do you want, do you carry camping gear or overnight in Hotel or B&B?

My personal wisdom is that 300/400cc is fine for solo use, but 2-up possibly requires a bit more, unless you're two lightweights or carry little gear.

I had an X8 400, v similar to XEvo, was excellent engine and pretty frugal, but I struggled with front forks bouncing at speed (bigger screen maybe didn't help). I had forks replaced under warranty but still struggled with it, even appreciating limited maxiscoot dynamics.

Silverwing & Burgman 650 were normal choice, now added to with MaxSym 600. & Kymco AK550. A TMax would be most sporty and if your SWMBO is slight then maybe doable for 2-up touring.

Critical will be a test ride, before committing.
Honda NC750X DCT (2017)

Ralph
Current Ride: Yamaha X-max 300 300

Post by Ralph »

Never ridden a Xevo so no help there, I would not worry to much about the weight of a scooter as that weight is carried so low you dont
notice it as much as a bike, but If the wife is going to do many miles on the back I would get her to try the seat as some are rely wide
and can be a it uncomfortable for smaller people.
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Ralph, thanks, good point - will get the 'expert' seat tester along on any viewing.

PeterC

Post by PeterC »

poldark wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:51 pm Can you give us a bit more info about your planned use, will it be primarily 2-up riding? What daily distance do you expect, UK or overseas?

What sort of roads and ave speeds do you want, do you carry camping gear or overnight in Hotel or B&B?

My personal wisdom is that 300/400cc is fine for solo use, but 2-up possibly requires a bit more, unless you're two lightweights or carry little gear.

I had an X8 400, v similar to XEvo, was excellent engine and pretty frugal, but I struggled with front forks bouncing at speed (bigger screen maybe didn't help). I had forks replaced under warranty but still struggled with it, even appreciating limited maxiscoot dynamics.

Silverwing & Burgman 650 were normal choice, now added to with MaxSym 600. & Kymco AK550. A TMax would be most sporty and if your SWMBO is slight then maybe doable for 2-up touring.

Critical will be a test ride, before committing.
Thanks, Poldark. Use will be short solo trips town and country as and when I don't take the VanVan out. Longer 2 up trips will be mainly with minimal luggage and include motorways, but at moderate speeds. We have not been touring for a while as I find the Pacific Coast too heavy now, but it would be great to do some touring again. The Pacific Coast trunk is about the same as storage capacity on most mid sized maxi scooters so we should be fine without over loading. I borrowed a 400 Burgman for a day recently and found the ride choppy as you describe on the Piaggio. I'm assuming its a trade off I'll have to accept as I've looked at the 650 Burgman and 600 Maxsym and felt they were both too heavy for me. The Silverwing might be ok, but I sat on one last week and it seems cramped on leg room.

Ferret
Benefactor
Current Ride: Aprilia srv 850

Post by Ferret »

Welcome you'll find the big ones are a lot heavier but the max has the best power to weight ratio and has more sporty handling.Two up motor way travel however is far better as my Aprilia srv850 vtwin has proved over the last 6 plus years .

poldark
Current Ride: X9 250Evo+B650[F]+NC750X [GB]

Post by poldark »

I moved from the 400 Piaggio to the 650 Burger and found it easier to filter and more stable at slow speed.

The only time it feels it's weight is pushing it out the garage, underway it disappears. I would strongly suggest a test ride.
Honda NC750X DCT (2017)

Ralph

Post by Ralph »

Smaller wheels do drop into pot holes more than big ones so they are never as smooth as a bike,
but scooters are good a long runs I have often covered 3/400 miles in a day on a Burgerman 400
and a X-max 300, the seats at least for the pilot are usually very comfy, they are easy to ride
with enough performance, protection and range, you get off feeling a lot fresher than you would
on a normal bike, only you can tell but I dont often miss the 70 odd bhp from my last bike.
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

Deleted User 7077

Post by Deleted User 7077 »

I'd go for k7 + Burgman 400 over piaggio 400 evo, engine looks better engineered to me.

Ralph

Post by Ralph »

My 400 Burger was still running like a watch even after 19000 miles 3 or 4 round Britain rally's
and keeping up with bigger bikes,

Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif