Lincolnshire Lad

Make your first post here or feel the wrath of the Muppets.
riders in the storm
Benefactor
Current Ride: HondaNC750X+HondaCRF300Rally

Re: Lincolnshire Lad

Post by riders in the storm »

"Hi Ray, in motor home payload calculations the manufacturers allow 75kg for the driver They consider this to be average".

Motorhome manufacturers happily (deliberately) underestimate adult male weight to downplay the inadequacies of the payload available.

In fact the average male weight is 84kg....

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/u ... e-10127526

But I'm 6'2" and slim (ok, slim-ish) and weigh 90+ kg.

I would consider anyone weighing 75kg to be a) a woman b) ill c) very slight.....
HondaCRF300Rally, Honda NC750X

Deleted User 7077

Post by Deleted User 7077 »

If you ever get stopped and weighed abroad in motorhome you stay in vehicle. I was by swiss police .

Snail
Current Ride: Burgman

Post by Snail »

Yes ok I was on the conservative side for weights then, so you can now see then how inadequate scooters are for two up touring, the much admired sh 300 at 160 kg is one of the better ones? Does it matter? That's up to the user, I only complained to my dealer about premature wear and was told you are two up all the time what do you expect! To me the dealer should make this known to potential buyers in our case we were both at the buying stage of negotiations and made our potential use known, add the fact that we were in the lakes for three weeks up and down the passes can you imagine how hard that cvt is working on the zigzag hairpin the clutch hardly let's go before you are breaking for next bend and then pulling hard again, I'm hoping maybe the burgman is more torquey so the cvt will cope better? Time will tell but if it dosent then scooters are not for us? I really hope it works out ok as we don't really want to go back to bmw and deauvilles they are too big and heavy now

PeterC
Current Ride: Burgman 400

Post by PeterC »

Just to conclude this thread. After much deliberation and many miles to view potential scoots I've bought a new Kawasaki J300, which I'll collect on 1st March. I wont bore you with the ins and outs, both myself and pillion agreed its comfortable and will cope with the demands we will place on it. In the end a 2nd hand bike was ruled out as I'm very fussy about little things like corroded fasteners, and every used scooter looked at, even those less than 3 years old, had clearly had a much harder time than most motorcycles ever get. My one regret is that I didn't get to try the Kymco 400i, but then maybe just as well as my supposed local dealer has zero interest in the brand, with the Kawasaki I'll have plenty of options for service/spares.

muddyfox
Benefactor
Current Ride: Yamaha 250r x max

Post by muddyfox »

Ironically the Kawasaki is just a rebadged Kymco. Sounds like your supposed local dealer has not got a clue.
That said the main thing is the Kawasaki ( Kymco) is a good scooter and as long as you are happy with it what does it really matter what badge it wears. What colour did you have ?
Muddyfox (Nottingham)
Ride safe

PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Anthracite Black, just happened to be my preference, (I'm not a fan of matt/satin paint), and the one on offer.

Scootypuff snr

Post by Scootypuff snr »

PeterC wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:27 pm My one regret is that I didn't get to try the Kymco 400i, but then maybe just as well as my supposed local dealer has zero interest in the brand
Kymco make a huge social media show of how they are expanding the range supporting dealers but contact them asking which dealers are interested in my business as they try to flog you other brands you won't get a reply

Buying Kwak certainly gives you more freedom of choice looking forward to your ride reports

PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Agreed Scootypuff, its a shame as both owners and independent reviews give very positive accounts of their Maxi range. What puzzles me is that Kymco had a re-set with the UK dealer network very recently, but don't seem to have any conviction in promoting them. The local guy's attitude was he already has established popular Jap brands so why take the risk of getting Kymco's in - but then why take it on.....

fullcirclemax
Current Ride: Integra

Post by fullcirclemax »

Re the sh300, I have had mine for coming up to 2 years, I never ride solo and though i don’t carry much luggage would do quite happily. Our combined weight is 30 stone with gear and the bike does 70 mpg these days, using most of its performance. The previous owner had done 20000 miles commuting in London and the clutch didn’t have much meat left on the shoes but after looking at some online pics, left them in as the comparison was favourable. Have since changed my mind and will replace soon, it will be interesting to see if much wear has occurred. I think the temptation with cvt scooters is to use the brake like a manual clutch for pulling away. Rear tyre is down to the wear bars at 3000 miles, the replacement is going to be run at a higher pressure. Am happy with the situation as the sh is so capable.

rayb
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300

Post by rayb »

riders in the storm wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:26 am "Hi Ray, in motor home payload calculations the manufacturers allow 75kg for the driver They consider this to be average".

Motorhome manufacturers happily (deliberately) underestimate adult male weight to downplay the inadequacies of the payload available.

In fact the average male weight is 84kg....

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/u ... e-10127526

But I'm 6'2" and slim (ok, slim-ish) and weigh 90+ kg.

I would consider anyone weighing 75kg to be a) a woman b) ill c) very slight.....
I'm 5'7" and 70Kg. I wouldn't want anything heavier than the SH300 unless it had reverse. :)