Honda NC700X DCT is a manual bike

Chat about any motorbike here.
Deleted User 407

Honda NC700X DCT is a manual bike

Post by Deleted User 407 »

Well according to Honda it is.A bit stupid as i was seriously considering purchasing one of these when they become available in April.So they have no clutch lever, tiptronic gearing, auto drive modes.

Aprilia Mana- no clutch lever, tiptronic gearing, foot gear changer even, auto drive modes -classed as an automatic.
Whats the difference?

Contacted the DVLA, their stance is , if it is semi automatic( ie. no clutch) then you can drive this on a automatic licence.Honda disagree.So if i get the insurers to agree and get stopped by the police i should have no worries when they contact the DVLA asking if i am able to ride the bike.

OR i could hire or loan a NC700X DCT and take my manual test on this semi automatic bike so that i can then drive any bike with a manual gear box.Anyone want to loan me one when they come out or i can buy one and risk passing the test when i get it.I have been riding a Tmax for the last four years and scooters for the last ten years so a few bad habits may have crept in.

szymon
Current Ride: None

Re: Honda NC700X DCT is a manual bike

Post by szymon »

Ignore Honda. What matters is what the DVLA say. The stance of the DVLA has not changed. It has been covered multiple times on this forum.

rtfm
Current Ride: Integra 700

Post by rtfm »

szymon wrote:Ignore Honda. What matters is what the DVLA say. The stance of the DVLA has not changed. It has been covered multiple times on this forum.
Yes you are right. This topic has been done to death now really.

Deleted User 407

If I were to ignore Honda, would the insurance companies not refuse me insurance?

gn2

Post by gn2 »

The insurer will only ask you if you have a licence, they won't be asking Honda.
You will say yes because you do.

Deleted User 407

After emailing Hondas head of motorcycling i got a swift response.Apparently they have now spoken to someone in the product planning department who have contacted the MCIA.They have now confirmed that the 700x is able to be ridden on an auto licence.They have said they will contact all their dealers to make sure that this is made clear to the customers.
Anyone think it is worth contacting Honda to ask for a discount on one considering all the extra sales I might have made them now they can confirm you can ride on an auto licence. :D

Zed
Current Ride: Trek 7300

Post by Zed »

gardener wrote:After emailing Hondas head of motorcycling i got a swift response.Apparently they have now spoken to someone in the product planning department who have contacted the MCIA.They have now confirmed that the 700x is able to be ridden on an auto licence.They have said they will contact all their dealers to make sure that this is made clear to the customers.
Taking one for the team: Nice one matey :kiss:

Next step is making insurers know it exists... "sorry sir, i dont see that motorcycle on our system" :?

Wolf
Benefactor

Post by Wolf »

Get DVLA to Email you what they told you, I did just incase, insurance will be fine I just say I have full UK licence which it is well Auto :lol: some insurance company's don't have my Mana on the systems :lol: & someone will always say you can't ride it but no manual clutch = you can on a Auto licence, a bike instructor told me I can't ride the Mana :lol: but I showed him my Email from DVLA and he looked a bit shocked :lol:

VOZZA
Benefactor
Current Ride: Forza 125

Post by VOZZA »

I have fancied giving one of these a test ride, but the nearest dealer hasn't got a demo yet or any prospect of one soon.
Pete

Vespa GTS300 Super for practical runabout, Triumph Tiger Explorer for conquering the planet. Car almost obsolete.

Flanker37
Current Ride: none it crashed

Post by Flanker37 »

I am saving/aiming to have one of these DCT versions by next may. I really like the idea behind this bike, and it is getting great reviews in all the mags.

The only thing i have to gripe about is Honda UK. Look at the extras for this bike & there is only protective film. You look at this page http://powersports.honda.com/2012/nc700 ... llery.aspx and there are loads of them.

And i want them all, except the side panniers. I would rather have givi ones, as the Honda ones look tiny