Honda VFR1200FD DCT Testride

Chat about any motorbike here.
Normsthename
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield Classic 350

Honda VFR1200FD DCT Testride

Post by Normsthename »

Went to Marshalls in Peterborough yesterday and had a testride on a Honda VFR1200 DCT (Dual Clutch Transmission) :D
There are three drive modes available, Drive, Sports and Manual.
To ride the bike you start the bike up, and once started it is in neutral.
Pressing the drive button on the right handlebar puts the bike into first gear.
It is then a 173bhp Rev and Go :)
Driving out of the dealers in Drive mode was very easy, it very quickly changes gear and it is in 6th gear as low as 40mph
I found the drive mode to be a little too sedate, the bike changes up way too early so I switched to Sports mode.
In Sports mode the bike is a whole different beast, if you give the bike a lot of throttle it hangs onto the gear almost upto the Redline :shock:
In Sports Mode and with 173bhp available it certainly gets down the road!
The final mode is manual where you can change gears with two buttons on the left handle bar.
Being bone idle I preferred to leave the bike in full auto mode.
The engine is very nice, because of the uneven firing order it sounds more like a twin than a 4 cylinder bike.
The engine was pretty smooth though, much smoother than my BMW K1200GT
The brakes were superb some of the best I have ever used, and I had just got off of a BMW K1200GT with Servo Brakes :shock:
The fit and finish on the bike is excellent.
So, what did I think........
I loved the DCT but I think Honda shot themselves in the foot putting it into a sports tourer, they should have put it into a tourer where I think it would be more appreciated.
Would I buy one?..... The answer is no.
The sports tourer riding position was far too sporty for my old bones, the screen was next to useless as well :(
Honda seem to have a surplus of DCT VFR1200 and there are some fantastic deals on Pre Reg bikes.
Marshalls had two Pre Reg DCT VFR1200 available, a white one and a red one.
List price is £12975, Marshalls are selling Pre reg bikes for £7999 or £8999 with the full Luggage :shock:
So there is a real bargain there for somebody
I enjoyed the ride and would love the DCT on a more touring oriented machine.
Honda are bringing out the Crosstourer which uses a detuned (127 bhp) VFR1200 engine, it is a dead ringer for the BMW R1200GS, DCT will be an option.
I think that will make a really nice bike, need to wait for a dealer to get a demo bike in :D

Andy
2024 Royal Enfield Classic 350
1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing
2016 Microcar MGO3 - 4 wheeled Scooter with a roof :D

rtfm
Current Ride: Integra 700

Re: Honda VFR1200FD DCT Testride

Post by rtfm »

The crosstourer looks like a lovely machine imho. I wish they'd put the DCT in the Pan Euro though for those of us that don't want (or didn't do the test on :oops: ) a manual bike

kayz1
Benefactor
Current Ride: Scott X-ADV75 + bmw r90s + c70

Post by kayz1 »

Whats the seat height on the crossdresser does any body no please?
I loved my two 1200gs's but SWMBO does not like the ride on the arse end seat...so i had to get another big burger :lol:
Lyn.

Wolf
Benefactor

Post by Wolf »

Crosstourer DCT Seat Height 850mm

bornagainbiker
Current Ride: Honda Forza 300

Post by bornagainbiker »

The Integra and the NC700X\S DCT models have (and will have) the latest improved DCT v2 so if they put the v2 onto the VFR it may be a different bike to ride in full D auto mode? I read one report from a tester on the VFR DCT v1 that he would class the transmission at times as 'dangerous' on overtaking manoeuvres?
2018 Honda Forza 300 Daelim S3 Advance 250 Piaggio Fly 125 3v Burgman 650 L1 Burgman 400 K8

Mr Angry

Post by Mr Angry »

For those who have no idea what a dual clutch is there's an interesting article Here