Triumph Tiger 1050

Chat about any motorbike here.
poldark
Current Ride: X9 250Evo+B650[F]+NC750X [GB]

Re: Triumph Tiger 1050

Post by poldark »

wisart wrote:I went and took a look at the Tiger 1050 at a local dealer today. I liked everything about it except the price. Would probably get a used one if I decide it is the right bike for me. I sat on three tall bikes at the dealer, the Versys, Tiger 800 and the Tiger 1050. Funnily enough the Versys had the tallest seat followed by the 1050 and then the 800.

The 800 really got my attention again. The bike is very light, I can flat foot it and ABS is standard. I can't flat foot the 1050 but I can get both feet down somewhat. The Versys is either one foot or the other.

I'm a bit torn as many reviewers have stated that the Tiger 800 motor is sedate compared to the 1050 and that it doesn't handle as well. Not that it handles poorly, just a comparative statement. A brand new Tiger 800 is just past the top of my budget but close enough that I would take the plunge. I like the looks of the 800 but love the looks of the 1050.

Test rides will happen as I get closer to buying time.

The Ninja 650 and Versys are still in the running.
I'm sure your test ride will confirm if that's true, but rather coincidentally I've been trawling through some of this long post on ADVRider about off-roading the 800 XC in Aus, not exactly road-riding but very complimentary on handling.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=704559

I've only had a brief try on the standard 800, when my STR 675 had a service last year, certainly comfy and effortless but having just stepped off the STriple it had a hard time trying to excite. If you have touring pretentions then it & the Versys must be high on the list.

I will admit that if I'd not tried the STriple I'd have bought a Versys, which does lots of things well and is very planted whilst having a flexible & surprisingly gutsy engine. (The Tiger 800 wasn't launched when I bought).
Honda NC750X DCT (2017)

VOZZA
Benefactor
Current Ride: Forza 125

Post by VOZZA »

I have heard stories of Tiger 800's getting written off because of subframe damage if it's been put on it's side. Apparently the pillion footpegs stick out far enough to take the initial impact in an off. I do like them though and think their fast enough for riding in the real world, although I also like the single sided swinging arm of the 1050. :lol:
Pete

Vespa GTS300 Super for practical runabout, Triumph Tiger Explorer for conquering the planet. Car almost obsolete.

richie the 1st
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda sh125 Suzuki Address FL1

Post by richie the 1st »

VOZZA wrote:I have heard stories of Tiger 800's getting written off because of subframe damage if it's been put on it's side. Apparently the pillion footpegs stick out far enough to take the initial impact in an off. I do like them though and think their fast enough for riding in the real world, although I also like the single sided swinging arm of the 1050. :lol:
Yeah stupid design,just like the oid Suzuki 600 Bandit,[changed now]
Old honda sh125.
New Honda sh125.
Ride free,ride safe.

wisart
Current Ride: Honda Nighthawk 650

Post by wisart »

Well, half the summer has gone by and I still haven't purchased a new bike. Still riding around on my old Nighthawk. I did spy a barely used Sprint ST with ABS at a local dealer. I kind of like it except for the ginormous luggage and tiny numbered clocks.
VOZZA wrote:although I also like the single sided swinging arm of the 1050. :lol:
Me too, I'm a sucker for that look.
===============================
Dan

1984 Honda cb650sc Nighthawk (manual scootin')
2007 KYMCO Grand Vista (Sold)
2003 Honda Reflex (Sold)

R1K SU
Current Ride: Burgman 650

Post by R1K SU »

Then why on earth choose a big overweight lump like the 650 Burgman. :|
Cos I wanted to get something quick after my FZ1 died, and its the biggest I could find at the time, I like big / power = fun.
Yam RD350 YPVS
Honda VFR750
Yam RD 350 air
Kawa GT550
Kawa ZZR600
Yam FZ1s
Burgman 650
Honda VFR 1200 DCT....ecu Flashed
Suzuki GSXS1000
Suzuki GSXR1000 K7 ๐Ÿ˜œ๐Ÿ˜œ
Zero FXS

VOZZA
Benefactor
Current Ride: Forza 125

Post by VOZZA »

R1K SU wrote:
Then why on earth choose a big overweight lump like the 650 Burgman. :|
Cos I wanted to get something quick after my FZ1 died, and its the biggest I could find at the time, I like big / power = fun.
I agree I had a demo ride on a Suzuki Open Day in Swansea. Man! that thing couldn't half go, it handled far better than I thought it would too. That big Burger is some machine.
Pete

Vespa GTS300 Super for practical runabout, Triumph Tiger Explorer for conquering the planet. Car almost obsolete.

poldark

Post by poldark »

Meldrew wrote:
VOZZA wrote:
R1K SU wrote:Cos I wanted to get something quick after my FZ1 died, and its the biggest I could find at the time, I like big / power = fun.
I agree I had a demo ride on a Suzuki Open Day in Swansea. Man! that thing couldn't half go, it handled far better than I thought it would too. That big Burger is some machine.
The novelty soon wears off, I stuck with mine for two years then bought a Silver Wing, but others like Noggin the Nog and lloydpb sold theirs after a few months of ownership.
It may do for some, but there are also many others who've owned them for many happy years and continue to do so, you're perfectly entitled to have and voice your opinion but please don't make sweeping categoric statements.
Honda NC750X DCT (2017)

R1K SU
Current Ride: Burgman 650

Post by R1K SU »

I like mid range pull, and it has more than the FJ600 and presume the Tmax so im happy ,It also handles very well and I havnt touched anything down yet, unlike my FIRST ride on the Burg400, that touched down on the first roundabout !!
You just keep on moaning and driving down long straight roads, Mr Meldrew, its what your good at ;)
Now if I can just find out if my Burg is about to blow up from a silly drive shaft fault like lots of other 04 plates I'll be happy.
Yam RD350 YPVS
Honda VFR750
Yam RD 350 air
Kawa GT550
Kawa ZZR600
Yam FZ1s
Burgman 650
Honda VFR 1200 DCT....ecu Flashed
Suzuki GSXS1000
Suzuki GSXR1000 K7 ๐Ÿ˜œ๐Ÿ˜œ
Zero FXS

poldark

Post by poldark »

Meldrew wrote:It's hardly a sweeping statement, there's quite a few Muppets who like me have moved on from the big Burgman to the Silver Wing and been far happier with it. Others complained about the finish and corrosion on cast wheels, transmission faults, stopper bolt, and some electrical bit under the rear wheel arch than can fail before getting rid of theirs. The average length of ownership seems two years.
Yet I know many Burger 650 owners who've considered both and been more than satisfied to choose the Suzuki and often continued to have a Burger when they replaced.

We're not going to descend into another pissing match between the two machines, as that happens time and again, my point is you post your views by all means but allow others to have and post theirs without making what seem to be conclusive statements - please :kiss:
Honda NC750X DCT (2017)