Close call

Chat about any motorbike here.
rtfm
Current Ride: Integra 700

Re: Close call

Post by rtfm »

The second rider shouldn't have ditched his bike, he probably could have stopped quicker with brakes than sliding on his arse!!

Noggin the Nog
Benefactor
Current Ride: Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive

Post by Noggin the Nog »

In the second vid the guy in the hi viz jacket had already stopped the car so the lorry could make its turn and I presume was attempting to stop the biker who never saw him until too late.
I think this might add value to someone else's argument on another thread, unless that biker doesn't like hi viz either and ignores anyone wearing them.
G.

Mr Angry

Post by Mr Angry »

rtfm wrote:The second rider shouldn't have ditched his bike, he probably could have stopped quicker with brakes than sliding on his arse!!
I ditched mine else it would have been head on and me flying though the air the length of the car and landing who knows how or where, choosing to throw myself off I landed on my shoulder breaking my collar bone but the bike slid on destroying the VW Polo. In my case it was an instant decision, and a damn good one I believe, as there was no time for prevaricating.

Ferrit
Current Ride: MP3 400ie

Post by Ferrit »

johnp wrote:The second clip the rider was way to fast and not very observant in what was happening ahead. The first clip we don't know how fast the bike was doing, if the bike was doing the national the car is at fault.
Just being within the speed limit does not mean you are safe, you ride to the speed of the road which may be much less than the posted speed.

In this case you can just see the top of his speedo, I am assuming it is in Kph which means it appears he was just over 120Kph. He is coming up to the crest of a hill where he can only just see the sign on top of the post warning of a junction. There is no way a he can see a car, or a car can see him, therefore I would not have approached that crest on the speed limit, national or not.

I am sure others have different views. But I always adapt my speed to the road. My son just recently had a lad done for dangerous driving having had a crash on a country lane. The lads defence was that he was driving at 55mph and therefore within the speed limit (confirmed by skid marks), however it was a single track lane and a blind bend. Courts agreed it was dangerous as the speed was clearly to high for him to stop safely in the visible road.
2013 Mp3 500sport
2007 MP3 400ie

A less than Civil Servant
Herts & Beds SERV

gn2

Post by gn2 »

I always thought a single track road (as opposed to a single carriageway) had a speed limit of 50mph?

Ferrit
Current Ride: MP3 400ie

Post by Ferrit »

gn2 wrote:I always thought a single track road (as opposed to a single carriageway) had a speed limit of 50mph?
A single track road is a single carriage way. It is only 50 for towing vehicles.
2013 Mp3 500sport
2007 MP3 400ie

A less than Civil Servant
Herts & Beds SERV

Normsthename
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield Classic 350

Post by Normsthename »

1st Video - Way too fast but great braking!
2nd Video - Idiot - Could easily have stopped in time if he had been awake.

Andy
2024 Royal Enfield Classic 350
1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing
2016 Microcar MGO3 - 4 wheeled Scooter with a roof :D

mightbesane
Benefactor
Current Ride: Burgman 400 K4

Post by mightbesane »

I agree that in both cases, the rider would have been considered at fault. (It sure didn't sound and look as though the first one was doing the legal limit.) What the GoFast nobbins don't seem to get is that the way they ride makes it worse for us, giving cage riders a free pass. It's easy for them to say that the bike/scooter rider was going too fast or racing or not paying attention. And they get away with it darn near all the time.
Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. ~Frank ZappaImage

Funkycowie
Admin
Current Ride: Honda NC750x

Post by Funkycowie »

re the 2nd video, I meant that it looked like the lorry pulled out of a side road and then turned back into the side road... which is what I thought was weird, not that it moved left and pulled in... can't really tell what happened... still the idiot bikers fault.
ImageImageImageImage
Past Bikes: Piaggio B125, Gilera Nexus 500, TMax MK3 in White, TMax MK3 in Yellow, TMax MK3 in Yellow, Honda NC750x in Blue...

Dave Weller
Benefactor
Current Ride: VespaGTS250 Wave110i

Post by Dave Weller »

Both riders were going too fast, I suppose loads of these clips will be posted as the trend is to ride round with camera's.
So riding for the ride, will now become riding for the you tube clip, ''I can have a closer shave than you competition''.
Trust me, one day you will need not to be distracted by something you have attached to your bike or clothing. When s*** happens it happens quick.
Honda NC750 Manual
VESPA GTS250
Royal Enfield HNTR 350
Honda Wave 110i