Motorway Riding

Chat about any motorbike here.
Flocktonflyer
Current Ride: burgman 650-2013

Motorway Riding

Post by Flocktonflyer »

I was wondering, if you are riding on the motorway should you pull over to the hard shoulder and wait if suddenly the weather turns that you can not see ahead due to rain or snow? icon_rain2.gif
Dave

TmaX9
Current Ride: 04 and 54 X9 500 Evos

Re: Motorway Riding

Post by TmaX9 »

No, surely visibility can never be that bad and if it was, I wouldn't want to be stopped in front of other traffic who may also not see clearly, and in the case of BMW's, still be doing 80mph.
Take the next exit would be a wiser move.

gn2

Post by gn2 »

Alternatively pull up underneath an over bridge and shelter on the far side of it up the embankment out the way of sleeping lorry drivers.

mightbesane
Benefactor
Current Ride: Burgman 400 K4

Post by mightbesane »

Feel safe. Some of us will ride through anything. Some aren't used to hard downpours. Never ride in fear. If you don't feel safe, stop.
Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. ~Frank ZappaImage

halfabusa
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda NC750X DCT

Post by halfabusa »

ImageImageImageImage

NC750X DCT
FJR1300
Burgman 400 gone
Tmax 500 Sold
Burgman 650 dead...

Dave Weller
Benefactor
Current Ride: VespaGTS250 Wave110i

Post by Dave Weller »

I don't know if anyone else does this, but I get into the outside lane, away from the spray and standing water you get in the lorry tracks and ride at a faster speed, probably faster than nearly anyone else because I have now got better vision, and want to stay in the outside lane, the tyres have better grip now, most traffic slows down to 50mph. I would probably stop at the services if it's a limited shower. You need to keep an eye on your mirrors, and give way to the faster drivers, unless they keep their distance.
Honda NC750 Manual
VESPA GTS250
Royal Enfield HNTR 350
Honda Wave 110i

SH125Paul
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH125 - NC750X DCT

Post by SH125Paul »

If in doupt - pull over...
Yep have stopped under a flyover / bridge when caught in a real downpour before - water was bouncing back up of the road and the road cover was almost to the point of flooding, you could feel the tyre aquaplaining and the bike being momentarily held back...

But, the most dangerous thing was the actions of car drivers, spray and poor visability...

Not sure of the legality of stopping? - but if you dont feel safe... and as said try to get as far away from the actual carriage way...

SpikeOne
Current Ride: Kymco Downtown 300i

Post by SpikeOne »

If neccessary, I would say, "Sod the law", and stay alive!
And if that means stopping on the hard shoulder, then do it, and argue your corner at a later date if neccessary.
You may need to suffer the consequences, but you can't get a life for the price of a fine and a couple of points.
Spike

Kymco Downtown 300i
Yamaha Vity
MZ ETZ251
Honda CD175
Honda CB250 G5
BSA Bantam D14/4
BSA Sunbeam
Honda C50

pikey

Post by pikey »

Its worth pushing on unless its dangerous as if your going 50/60 you may come thro it .Snow is a different matter tho

halfabusa
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda NC750X DCT

Post by halfabusa »

SpikeOne wrote:If neccessary, I would say, "Sod the law", and stay alive!
And if that means stopping on the hard shoulder, then do it, and argue your corner at a later date if neccessary.
You may need to suffer the consequences, but you can't get a life for the price of a fine and a couple of points.
anyway who's going to bother prosecuting you in a downpour. the cops won't even see your bike if it's raining that hard...
ImageImageImageImage

NC750X DCT
FJR1300
Burgman 400 gone
Tmax 500 Sold
Burgman 650 dead...