2nd 1200 DCT Crosstourer review

Chat about any motorbike here.
R1K SU
Current Ride: Burgman 650

2nd 1200 DCT Crosstourer review

Post by R1K SU »

Me n Su took the DCT out this morning from Blackpool Honda, And I was very impressed, I set off in D mode and within a cpl of hundred metres it was in 6th and I didnt feel a single gear change, trouble with D mode its very ECO friendly, you can be in 6th at 35 mph and if you accelerate at a medium pace, it will stay in 6th, hoverer if you go into S mode, it will hang onto the lower gears longer, if your in a 50mph limit area the bike will still be in 4th gear, which is great for quick acceleration and lane changes, but makes the engine slightly more noisey. One thing about bikes with bigger wheels than scooters is they soak up bumps so much better, We went on some back country roads and hardly felt the bumps, but I know on the 650 Burg, Su would have been thumping me in the back as the bike crashed over the pot holes in the road.
On the last stretch we went from Kirkham to Blackpool on the M55 and even at 100 mph in D mode it does kick down to 5th if you open it up. This bike had the screen in the raised position, but didnt seem to keep any more wind blast than if the screen was in the lowest position.
The best fuel economy showed 13.6 Mp litre which I presume you x by 5 to get mpg ? 68mpg.
I tried the manual mode which acts like a normal manual gearchange this is done by the floppy paddles on the left handlebar, but i kept hitting the + button as I thought it was the headlight flash , even in D or S you can hit the - or + at anytime and it will change gear, if you then drive normaly for the next few seconds it will go straight back to auto for you, so for quick overtakes a cpl of press on the down (-) and down to 4th then when you have finished the overtake, it goes back upto 6th for you.
Like I said in the opening line I was impressed, however Su wasnt :cry: She didnt like the cramped position that ALL bikes seem to have, even though Blackpool Honda's salesman Kevin had put the extra large topbox on with padded back rest, it wasnt enough to please Su, she said there wasnt enough room to rest her hands in front of her, like there is on the Burg, and she kept slipping forwards under braking, which I didnt need to do often as S mode offers some engine braking.
I didnt mind Su not liking it as I think I have decided now that if I had followed the Crosstourer on my Burg 650 I could have kept up, under most circumstances and still have more comfort.
So Im gonna stick to Maxis for a while, I may go to the Rocket center this week and try the SRV 850 just in case she says we can upgrade in the near future.
Yam RD350 YPVS
Honda VFR750
Yam RD 350 air
Kawa GT550
Kawa ZZR600
Yam FZ1s
Burgman 650
Honda VFR 1200 DCT....ecu Flashed
Suzuki GSXS1000
Suzuki GSXR1000 K7 ๐Ÿ˜œ๐Ÿ˜œ
Zero FXS

Normsthename
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield Classic 350

Re: 2nd 1200 DCT Crosstourer review

Post by Normsthename »

Nice Review :)
The DCT Crosstourer is one bike I want to have a Test ride on.
Can't afford one mind so it might not be that good an idea............ :D

Andy
2024 Royal Enfield Classic 350
1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing
2016 Microcar MGO3 - 4 wheeled Scooter with a roof :D

rtfm
Current Ride: Integra 700

Post by rtfm »

Thanks for the review, I too like the look of the crosstourer. Was the top box any better looking in real life? The zips on it make it look like a giant makeup box in photos I've seen on the web!!

newscooter
Benefactor
Current Ride: Grinnall BMW trike

Post by newscooter »

4.5 litres to the gallon so your fuel consumption is a tad optimistic !

R1K SU
Current Ride: Burgman 650

Post by R1K SU »

The top box was from the trials honda transalp, so standard 2 helmet top box. , thought it was 5 ltrs to gallon ? oops
i CANT AFFORD ONE, BUT STILL TOOK 2 OUT :)
Yam RD350 YPVS
Honda VFR750
Yam RD 350 air
Kawa GT550
Kawa ZZR600
Yam FZ1s
Burgman 650
Honda VFR 1200 DCT....ecu Flashed
Suzuki GSXS1000
Suzuki GSXR1000 K7 ๐Ÿ˜œ๐Ÿ˜œ
Zero FXS

Normsthename
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield Classic 350

Post by Normsthename »

CANT AFFORD ONE, BUT STILL TOOK 2 OUT
Neither can I, but I have a nasty habit of reaching for my Credit Card in Mad Moments! :D

Andy
2024 Royal Enfield Classic 350
1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing
2016 Microcar MGO3 - 4 wheeled Scooter with a roof :D

Wolf
Benefactor

Post by Wolf »

Oh my next bike if I get the money :lol:

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

R1K SU wrote: One thing about bikes with bigger wheels than scooters is they soak up bumps so much better, We went on some back country roads and hardly felt the bumps, but I know on the 650 Burg, Su would have been thumping me in the back as the bike crashed over the pot holes in the road.
Well, not sure...the thing that I found really disappointing about the Big Burger was that its ride quality on bumpy back roads was downright awful. The 'sporty' Tmax is SO much better on the same roads. And if you take the Burger onto cobbles, you think its going to fall apart! On the other hand, I had the Honda SH300 with 16" wheels, and the ride was rather harsh on that. So I think its more down to suspension than wheel size.