a trip back in time...

Chat about any motorbike here.
Lars-uk
Current Ride: S wing 125

a trip back in time...

Post by Lars-uk »

A trip back in time!

Over the past weekend I was in Germany and did a trip back in time as i had to cross from Frankfurt to Leipzig and back . It’s almost exactly twenty years ago when I started my national service in a little northern Bavarian town called Mellrichstadt.

I was Panzergrenadier - which basically means tank supported infantry! Our base was just a few kilometres away from the former Iron curtain - the East / West German Borderline.
I was 18 years young when I first went through these gates.

The base has been de-commissioned since 1996 but most of the buildings are still there. I arrived after a two hour ride from Frankfurt and found the gate to be open but signs showing "no entry" - so I just took a few photos.

After 10 min a local showed up in his van and as he came towards the gate I ask what's the deal now with the base and if I could go in? He asked me why? I told about me being station here and he responded "No problem just ride in and take photos” etc. He explained that there are a few buildings knocked down and it’s closed there but everywhere else I can go! I leaped onto the bike and rode in...

My first stop was at the old service bay! This is where I serviced my truck weekly and here is picture of the truck and me! It was a MAN 10t GL so it was only a perfect match to park the half ton GL1800 there too and replicate the photo!

and twenty years later!

I than headed past the old tank garages and the workshop up towards my Company 1/352 building. I parked the Wing outside where every morning we stood and got our daily orders and saluted our flag! Weird feeling I can tell you.
I had to take a photo of me in perfect pose before heading towards our medial building!

I checked out the old kitchen too and gave a final solute before leaving the main base. The gate was still pretty much as I remembered it, only the flag pole is missing!

me at the tender age of 18 - saluting.

and me twenty years later - saluting.

Today on my return trip I went near the base again as I wanted to see if the old ammo depot is still here and it was! A nice chap running a restaurant and wildlife park there now opened up for me and I could go into our gate building one more time. I have seen the place where I did many 24h shifts as a guard!

here at the old North Gate:

and here the entrance to the ammo depot

The shooting range and our sporting ground are now solar panel installations!
Finally I also could ride the bike onto our former training area! The tank wash was somewhat fitting for another photos of my wing tank!

It was great to see the old base again and speaking to the guy from the ammo depot restaurant (who of course served there as well) I am glad I could do it now as most of the stuff will be demolished soon and disappear!

As the base was only a few kilometres from the former border I stopped at the old Henneberg crossing and to my delight they have an almost intact border post as part of a museum now. Also I had to take a photo of the old watch tower with the Goldwing in front!

As you can see it was a great trip back in time! I had not been in this area since I left. It’s amazing how much I had remembered and also at the tine how much things look different (including me!)

Anyway, I did about 1200km over 4 days and the Wing was superb!
I am really glad to have done this and it only now that I have photos of many of the places as back in the early 90's I did not have a camera phone or a digital camera so I only have a handful of printed photos.

I hope you enjoyed my little trip back in time....

Thanks,
Lars

Liam
Benefactor
Current Ride: Tmax 560 Vespa Sei Giorni

Re: a trip back in time...

Post by Liam »

Great photos!
I had a look at the border on the way back from the Oktoberfest in the early 80's. It was really strange.
I was in an old vw trekker and can remember looking at a watchtower with my binocs. A guard was looking back at me with his!

People go on about the Berlin wall but many don't realise there used to be a %@£$##& great fence all the way through Germany.

Bluebottle
Benefactor
Current Ride: Burgman 400 ZA L0

Post by Bluebottle »

Looks like a great trip Lars, and very emotional for you.

Was it a Uk Trekker Liam?
Shouldnt think there were many of those
WE ARE THE BURG resistance is futile
The Ugly Bunch-1

Liam
Benefactor
Current Ride: Tmax 560 Vespa Sei Giorni

Post by Liam »

Bluebottle wrote:

Was it a Uk Trekker Liam?
It was an imported Lhd, ex Dutch army. 181
I had to fit seat belts and register it as a Y reg. It only had some sort of petrol heater that I couldn't get to work so I fitted some beetle heat exchangers. It was great fun!
Sold it for a pittance :( Worth a fortune now!

VOZZA
Benefactor
Current Ride: Forza 125

Post by VOZZA »

Great photos of your trip Lars thanks for posting very interesting. icon_wink-.gif Wales.gif
Pete

Vespa GTS300 Super for practical runabout, Triumph Tiger Explorer for conquering the planet. Car almost obsolete.