Pattern part prices Vs OE

Chat about any motorbike here.
Steve_D
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Pattern part prices Vs OE

Post by Steve_D »

Took the rear wheel off my SH this morning to do a puncture repair while I'm waiting for a new tyre to be delivered and noticed a bit of roughness in the rear wheel bearing. Thought I'd order the part and replace that when I fit the new tyre in a month or so. Looked on eBay - only pattern parts available ranging from £8.63 to £9.53. Thought I'd just check with the main dealer and.....£8.40 for a genuine part! Same thing a few years ago when I wanted a new belt and rollers - genuine parts were about £20 less than the pattern parts on eBay. I suppose they get away with it because people just don't bother checking prices and automatically assume it will be double at the dealers. Anyone else on here found that?
Paddle harder. I can hear banjo music!

Honda SH300i

SH125Paul
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH125 - NC750X DCT

Re: Pattern part prices Vs OE

Post by SH125Paul »

If a comparable cost i would go OE
Bearings and seals - especially for standard sizes, SKF, KOYO, TIMKEN and other top brands are fine and possbily cheaper as you are not paying the extra mark-up for Honda or who ever to part number allocate, package, store and distribute... especially comon items such as wheel bearings...
Belts- MITSUBOSHI, BANDO, DAYCO etc or whaterver the OE supplier was if you can cross ref the part number...
Rollers - different deal as quality may vary greatly - would go Dr Pulley of OE...
Air Filters HiFlo seem OK but i have found sometimes are a little tight fitting to the airbox, sometime a great saving can be had (3x OE Filters for the XMax is £60, Hi flo about £25 inc an oil filter) but for the SH125 OE is only a £1 more...
The fowlers parts site is great - has part numbers and prices...

Dave Weller
Benefactor
Current Ride: VespaGTS250 Wave110i

Post by Dave Weller »

Deauville clutch cable......OE £10, EBayers £14
Honda NC750 Manual
VESPA GTS250
Royal Enfield HNTR 350
Honda Wave 110i

Steve_D
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Post by Steve_D »

Turns out my 'genuine' one from the Honda dealer was a Toyo. :lol:
Paddle harder. I can hear banjo music!

Honda SH300i

Ferret
Benefactor
Current Ride: Aprilia srv 850

Post by Ferret »

I have found the same with many oe parts ,but bearings I tend to buy better ones as I have found some oe ones to be very poor .