Motorcycle Safety

Chat about any motorbike here.
Z750Jay
Current Ride: Vstrom 1000

Re: Motorcycle Safety

Post by Z750Jay »

Any bike that can not do 85 is way too dangerous these days. While I was running in the Burg, I could only do a max of 68mph downhill. I have never felt so vulnerable on a bike. Even my old AR125 could go faster. OK not much (80 with the wind behind it) but at least you could keep up with stuff on the A roads. I pass 50cc things crawling along at the side of the road and wonder when they will get hit as car drivers just do not see them as they are a) not moving fast enough to register on their brain and b) hard over by the curb being passed by all so are lost in the clutter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deleted User 4154

Post by Deleted User 4154 »

rtfm wrote:My suggestions are:

Harsher punishment for driving while texting/phoning. It's as bad as drink driving and should be an instant ban - even if it's a ban for only a month or two with an extended driving test at the end. It needs to be made socially unacceptable.

Stop endless retakes of the cbt unless the rider has actually been doing the mod 1 mod 2 bike tests, it's stupid.

Scrap direct access. All riders pass and are restricted to 30hp or whatever for the first two years and then automatically get licence for bigger bikes. Same for cars - restrict the power of car for the first 2 years.

Educate car drivers that filtering is legal. Educate motorcyclists that reckless overtaking is not filtering.
Agree with all this, especially:
rtfm wrote:All riders pass and are restricted to 30hp or whatever for the first two years and then automatically get licence for bigger bikes. Same for cars - restrict the power of car for the first 2 years.
The annoying thing is that we actually had this for bikes and it made sense, but then it got replaced by an unnecessarily complicated testing regime that didn't help anyone. 33BHP is plenty for a newly-qualified rider IMO, so how DAS helps anyone (apart from funeral directors) I have no idea. In reality, most new car drivers are limited in their choice of cars by the cost of insurance, but I would welcome legislation that keeps them in a Micra or some such for the first two years.

Deleted User 4154

docscooter2010 wrote:My point about the L plates was more about safety . whether riders are newbies or more mature riders I still think having the L plate on makes you stick out . New riders will be nervous enough heading out for the first time . Might cut down on needless deaths and injuries in young and old riders.
How do we discern between qualfied and unquaified riders without L-plates then? Because I think it's useful to know if the person I'm sharing the road with has reached even the basic standard of riding required to pass their test or not.

Deleted User 4154

Z750Jay wrote:Any bike that can not do 85 is way too dangerous these days.
Are you serious? I've never even seen 85mph and, last time I checked, I'm not dead.

Z750Jay

Post by Z750Jay »

Without the ability to hit 85 on a motorway, how on earth does anyone get out of trouble on a motorway or dual carriageway? The bike having been designed to reach that speed any stop from it will also not be as 'taxed' when avoiding trouble at 60 than a bike designed with a max speed of 60. Personally I wish they did a 1000cc maxi scooter as the 650 feels a bit gutless at times.
Just makes me feel unsafe being that slow on the motorways and dual carriageways.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ferret
Benefactor
Current Ride: Aprilia srv 850

Post by Ferret »

Z750jay ,you should have got an srv850 instead and if you then decided you need it to be a thou ,then a friend of mine in italy does a 1000cc conversion . He,s just perfecting a turbo kit to work with the standard motor as well . Maybe for you a NO,s injection kit would work well lol . However I do agree that having enough grunt to get out of trouble is a life saver and it's not about the speed .The wife's car has an eco mode ,I tried it my god it became gutless IMHO a dangerous thing to drive .

Steevw
Current Ride: Burgman 125

Post by Steevw »

Z750Jay wrote:Without the ability to hit 85 on a motorway, how on earth does anyone get out of trouble on a motorway or dual carriageway? The bike having been designed to reach that speed any stop from it will also not be as 'taxed' when avoiding trouble at 60 than a bike designed with a max speed of 60. Personally I wish they did a 1000cc maxi scooter as the 650 feels a bit gutless at times.
Just makes me feel unsafe being that slow on the motorways and dual carriageways.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Same as I do in the van (it can just touch 85)

<===== that way icon_majestygif2.gif
Gone for a counselling session with Prof Burgman. icon_maxi_scoot.gif

Z750Jay

Post by Z750Jay »

Ferret wrote:The wife's car has an eco mode ,I tried it my god it became gutless IMHO a dangerous thing to drive .
Lol whenever the wife lets me drive her car I always kill the eco mode plus the annoying 'kill the engine when you stop' mode.
Would have liked the bigger SV850 but as I had to trade in the old bike towards the new I had to find something new and the nearest dealer did both Yam and Suzuki so I had two options. The old XT1200, I loved that bike - saved for ages to get it but it had to go due to a back injury so for me it was a toss up between a custom or a maxi scooter. As the bike lives outside and is my daily transport customs got ruled out so it was the turbo hairdyers as the only option. Like the Burg just wish it was a bit quicker and had a larger front wheel. Still getting used to not throttling off when in manual gear change mode but I am getting there!

Deleted User 4154

Z750Jay wrote:Without the ability to hit 85 on a motorway, how on earth does anyone get out of trouble on a motorway or dual carriageway? T
I've ridden most of my motorway miles on a 19bhp 250 that's hard-pushed to exceed 75mph without getting dead, so maybe I'm just lucky.

Z750Jay

Post by Z750Jay »

Jaz wrote:
Z750Jay wrote:Without the ability to hit 85 on a motorway, how on earth does anyone get out of trouble on a motorway or dual carriageway? T
I've ridden most of my motorway miles on a 19bhp 250 that's hard-pushed to exceed 75mph without getting dead, so maybe I'm just lucky.
lucky probably ;)
It is when trucks and vans overtake you thats the worst. Riding daily for the last 20+ years I suppose I am just used to having more 'umph' on tap - the little 650 Burg is the slowest bike I have ridden since my MZ250 days.