Africa Twin dct

Chat about any motorbike here.
rtfm
Current Ride: Integra 700

Africa Twin dct

Post by rtfm »

So after a week with the Africa twin I thought I'd give it a quick write up.

The Good:
Lots of power but easily manageable, very relaxed motorway cruising, even running it in and riding gently those private road speeds come up quickly
My first tank of fuel got me 203 miles (with 30 miles showing til empty, 150ish miles of motorway/fast roads and the rest on my commute on 30-50mph roads and slow filtering).
So blooming comfortable on legs, shoulders and back, great suspension and good weather protection (for a bike).
Nice clear dash showing temp, trip metres, fuel consumption (current/average), time riding on current trip and big idiot lights for the indicators.
Quiet but sounds lovely when opened up a bit.
Great road presence, traffic moves out my way more than on my previous scoots which compensates for it being bigger.
Honda panniers require no extra bracketry - it's all already on there.
Ride height is great.
Headlights seem really powerful - although I've yet to get the chance to use them in the dead of night.
Good fuel gauge which shows distance til empty when the final bar starts flashing.

The indifferent:
Mirrors are ok, not amazing but not bad.
Maybe a bit vibey for some at higher speed through the pegs. Doesn't bother me though.
Spoked wheels are going to be a bastard to keep clean.
DCT in drive mode can be a bit lumpy at very slow speed where it likes to sit in 2nd but easy enough to adjust riding style or change it down (or put in manual/Sports mode).
Rear brake on the handlebar would be better.

The not so good:
A bit nervous about tubed tyres, I was happy doing a repair on tubeless but the same repairs not possible with tubes. Conversion to tubeless not really an option (I'm not one for doing a bodge conversation like sealing tape on such a safety critical part). You can buy tubed wheels but I won't be doing that as they're over a grand each.

Not sure I'm a fan of the always on indicators, I'm sure some old biddy is going to glance at them one day and think I'm indicating to turn. Apparently and EU requirement.

Storage = 0.

The battery seems like a pig to get to (luckily my dealer has fitted my battery charging and Gerbings gloves cables).

Overall:
Extremely happy! It is so relaxing, comfortable and fun to ride and pleased with the tank range.

Scootypuff snr

Re: Africa Twin dct

Post by Scootypuff snr »

Thanks for the feedback.

The bike is on my shortlist and my mates just ordered his. Sadly for me I just couldn't get on with the DCT

rtfm
Current Ride: Integra 700

Re: Africa Twin dct

Post by rtfm »

The dct does take some adjusting to get used to so not for everyone.

Took the wifey out on Saturday, very comfy with her on the back, there was no appreciable difference for me when pulling away (still using in drive rather than sport) and handling was still very good (I'm 115kg and wifey about 60kg).

I put the rear suspension a bit harder - another plus point, it is so easy to adjust the rear suspension, just turn the wheel a few clicks.