Custom cruisers.

Chat about any motorbike here.
2wheelover51
Current Ride: 2012 Burgman 400 Limited

Re: Custom cruisers.

Post by 2wheelover51 »

It looks like a PITA compared to normal screw and locknut. Still, an opportunity to go to Machine Mart to get a dial gauge... :D

2wheelover51

Post by 2wheelover51 »

I've just found the US website for the Shadow, and in contrast to the UK Shadow site it's fully active with lots of members and new postings. But then I suppose the US is cruiserland.. :D

Z750Jay
Current Ride: Vstrom 1000

Post by Z750Jay »

Used a Drag Star 650 as daily transport for 4 1/2 years before it died. Not so good in the winter (wide rear tyre and snow are fun) but great fun to ride - I used to keep 600 sports bike honest on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ferret
Benefactor
Current Ride: Aprilia srv 850

Post by Ferret »

Good old dragstar lasted well with its plastic chrome ,we'll certainly lasted better than the Harley's I've owned .

Z750Jay

Post by Z750Jay »

think mine did about 140,000 miles in those 4 and 1/2 years. absolutly loved the bike once i had rejeted the carbs. Not so good during winter while riding in -7'c as the darn thing used to suffer badly from ice carbing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ferret
Benefactor

Post by Ferret »

Yes carb icing was an issue and the only way I cured it was to fit new carb heaters every year .There was a fuel additive I also tried but it really did nothing except cost a lot lol . I ran mine on a silver tail 2into 1 exhaust with a hypercharger induction unit and a fuel controller .

Z750Jay

Post by Z750Jay »

I did email Yamaha about the issue (-this was before they had released the workshop manual) asking what reading I should get and what temp they should kick in at. The reply was they should kick in at about 11'c and the bike is not designed to be ridden under 5'c so you ridding it in temps of -7'c in the snow is your issue!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ferret
Benefactor

Post by Ferret »

Yes that sounds like a typical Yamaha reply .Thats good mileage 140k .

2wheelover51

Post by 2wheelover51 »

I used to get carb. icing on my air-cooled Bandit 600, just one carb. heater was dud but it was enough to cause a misfire.

2wheelover51

Post by 2wheelover51 »

I've been going over the Shadow as you do with a new bike and noticed a misfiring on tickover and popping on the overrun, which I (and the salesman) thought were due to the previous immature owner having drilled holes in the end of the silencers to make it louder. I've had the plugs out and found it to be running weak on both cylinders but weaker on the front pot.
I took off the seats and tank etc. to check hoses for holes etc. and thought I'd balance the carbs at the same time with my new Carbtune balancer, which I did. I noticed though when blipping the throttle that only one slide is moving, indicating a perished diaphragm. I Thought I'd cracked the problem until I noticed it was the carb. for the rear cylinder! :?
The people I bought it from (Metric Cruisers) have said to take it in and they'll have a look and sort it, as they know the bike is basically sound having taken it in part-exchange and resold it a number of times.
I think it needs carbs cleaning out and new diaphragms fitting.
I've just got myself a compression tester from Machine Mart to make sure it's nothing more serious, like valves.