Custom cruisers.

Chat about any motorbike here.
2wheelover51
Current Ride: 2012 Burgman 400 Limited

Custom cruisers.

Post by 2wheelover51 »

Has anyone on here gone from a normal naked or sports tourer to a midsize cruiser like a Dragstar or VN800 etc. :?:
They just look so comfortable and relaxing to ride.. :)

horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Re: Custom cruisers.

Post by horobags »

yep they are, but try and keep them clean in the summer, and stop them from turning brown in the winter. Been there, got that t-shirt!! :cry:
Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.

newscooter
Benefactor
Current Ride: Grinnall BMW trike

Post by newscooter »

Have done so but gave them up ! The cruiser riding position with your feet forward is very uncomfortable if you have a bad back like me .

Scootypuff snr

Post by Scootypuff snr »

Yes. Nice low bikes easily balanced like s scooter but total pigs for overenthusiastic cornering and the chrome flakes faster than snow melt in winter road salt.

Long side stands make the parking ng angle look alarming but IMO its a ride you have to own

2wheelover51

Post by 2wheelover51 »

That new Harley 750 "Street" looks quite good. Cruiser styling and good handling with enough power. Quite modern for a Harley and I think would appeal more than the 883 or 1200 Sportsters. The things that put me off are lack of ground clearance and being unable to see over the tops of cars when filtering. :?

Ferret
Benefactor
Current Ride: Aprilia srv 850

Post by Ferret »

Well I have owned all those mentioned and a hell of a lot more .I have also tried the Harley street which has a great motor but the finish and cramped size is appalling,that said the new version is a lots better but does cost more . If you ride all year the only 2 I would consider are the yams and the vn900 kwack and I must say that the kwacks finish stands up better than the rest . I have 4 mates who also purchased the vn900 in 2010 and 2011 all of which still have them now and all still look like new ,while ridden all year all weathers . That said any cruiser is a labour of love to keep tip top .

Scootypuff snr

Post by Scootypuff snr »

Ferret wrote:I have also tried the Harley street which has a great motor but the finish and cramped size is appalling,
If you ride all year the only 2 I would consider are the yams and the vn900 kwack and I must say that the kwacks finish stands up better than the rest . I have 4 mates who also purchased the vn900 in 2010 and 2011 all of which still have them now and all still look like new
Have to agree with Ferret. Test rode the HD 750 street when it first came out with V&H pipes. Very cramped & built to a budget shows.
There was a 17 plate on my ride out Tuesday & it kept up well with larger bikes but its still built for hobbits to ride.

Had a VN900 in Kirkcaldy and yes it stood up well to weather and storage. I believe there's a newer version and they seem popular.

I'm reliably informed that certain northern Kawasaki dealers are struggling to make sales and bikes can be bought on cash deals pretty much at cost

Unfortunately I think cruiser ownership is as "clicky" if not more so than "scooter"

2wheelover51

Post by 2wheelover51 »

Mmm thanks guys, since my bikes stand outside under a cover all year (except when i ride them :D ) they do need to be able to keep their finish, even with my tender ministrations..
I'll have to have a look at the Kawa VN900 and see if they float my boat.
Of course I've also been thinking of a classic and they'd also take quite a bit of fettling (which I also enjoy) :)
I'll probably just end up buying a new screen for my CBF600... :?

bikerdezzie
Current Ride: skyteam dax

Post by bikerdezzie »

Try a new honda rebel 500, think you will see a lot of these soon, very customiseable, mid controls etc just a bit of a squeeze if ya over 6ft, i am after a scrambler myself, nice custom build.
Dezzie

Ferret
Benefactor
Current Ride: Aprilia srv 850

Post by Ferret »

I forgot 1 it's the kwack 650 twin custom ,it's all down to taste but you can pick them up very cheap as there is some NOS about .It is also very adjustable to suit the prospective rider .Kawasaki offered when new control options in the price ,this included bars ,reach, and foot control positioning kits . This again handled sweetly ,but appeared a bit revy for the standard custom cruiser brigade . You would also need to buy ACF 50 in bulk if they are going to live outside .