Custom cruisers.

Chat about any motorbike here.
BenR
Current Ride: Aprilia Atlantic sprint 500

Re: Custom cruisers.

Post by BenR »

2wheelover51 wrote:Has anyone on here gone from a normal naked or sports tourer to a midsize cruiser like a Dragstar or VN800 etc. :?:
They just look so comfortable and relaxing to ride.. :)

I wouldn't be seen dead on one. Heavy, slow, poor handling, based on antiquated technology & in victory's case poorly made. I've always thought to ride one you need to have tassles, leather chaps & visit the blue oyster bar regularly. I did once have a brief go on a virago 535 which was a surprise once you got used to the vibes but wasn't my kind of thing.

Ferret
Benefactor
Current Ride: Aprilia srv 850

Post by Ferret »

Ben R ,yes some are heavy but carry there weight very low like a lot of maxi scooters most weigh less than a burgman .Handleing is good it's the ground clearance that is generally not great .Slow they are not and I actually did a trackday on my dragster lol .Victory,s are very well made from my experience my m8s one sits outside all weathers ,has done for the last 11 years still looks great and sertainly better made than any of the HD,s I've owned .Antiquated tech ,not at all just look at the new HD,s and Indians ,they are made to look classic but are anything but .

2wheelover51
Current Ride: 2012 Burgman 400 Limited

Post by 2wheelover51 »

I have to say I still have the itch for a cruiser, in particular the XVS1100. (I think the Classic with the big 'guards)
I went out for a ride the other day with a mate through the New Forest on the XJ6, and it is a lovely bike to ride, light, nimble handling and enough power to have fun etc, but I'm still hankering after that V-Twin thump and looking (and listening) to the postings on youtube for the 1100 Dragstar. it seems to tick all the boxes and I think it's only a matter of time before I take the plunge. I can't say the tassle thing appeals to me, but some of the other aspects of cruiser ownership do, at least they do now until I've tried them out I wont be able to say for sure. Ferret, you've had Dragstars, are there any downsides or unreliability issues with them besides the corrosion issue? I read an owner review on MCN in which he said he'd had driveshaft failure. Is this common to these bikes?

horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Post by horobags »

I wonder if you will feel the same way about it next january?? :lol:
Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.

2wheelover51

Post by 2wheelover51 »

Oh no one thing's for sure, over winter It'll be dismantled and reassembled in my flat until April...There's just too much polishing. :lol: Anyway I ain't got one yet.. :D

Ferret
Benefactor
Current Ride: Aprilia srv 850

Post by Ferret »

Ok the only issues really was the carb heaters failed every year on the 650 and to honest the finish stood up really well and 60k . The odd drive shaft issue seamed to be caused by neglect of not greasing the splines ,I see this first hand on my sons drag star classic he purchased . We fitted a 2nd hand shaft and greased it every tire change ,he never had an issue . The only problem I found with the classic was the foot boards ground down easily by riding too fast .

2wheelover51

Post by 2wheelover51 »

Thanks Ferrett, that's good to know. It sounds like they're a pretty well-made bike and I'd not have any hesitation to buy one in the future. At the mo' I'm enjoying the XJ6, it's like a 600 sportsbike but without the extreme riding position and its lively free-revving engine is a delight, as is the road holding and steering.
One thing that's shocked me is the fuel consumption. I've just entered the second Fuelly fill up and got the first reading - 43.3 mpg! I think the revvy motor is just egging me on to be a bit naughty.. :)
The Dragstar is going to be a long - term purchase. I'll bide my time and get a well-looked after example of the 1100 Classic (the one with the big wide mudguards (fenders) but without the tassles... :lol:

BenR
Current Ride: Aprilia Atlantic sprint 500

Post by BenR »

2wheelover51 wrote: The Dragstar is going to be a long - term purchase. I'll bide my time and get a well-looked after example of the 1100 Classic (the one with the big wide mudguards (fenders) but without the tassles... :lol:

:lol: glad to hear it.

2wheelover51

Post by 2wheelover51 »

Has anyone any experience of the Honda Shadows? I've got a local dealer who has a 1988 Shadow with low mileage and brilliant looks with it's twin shocks and swept back exhausts. I tried a later 750 a couple of months back and it felt awful to ride but this one looks brilliant, and with good mpg for an 1100 to boot.. Thing is I wonder how well I'd be able to filter and doing any sort of mileage with that laid-back seating position.. I guess I'm going to have to try one for myself. :)

2wheelover51

Post by 2wheelover51 »

A friend called around today having changed from a 600 Bandit to an 883 Harley. I've always heard Harleys dismissed as agricultural overpriced posing machines, but having taken this one for a spin I have to say I was quite impressed. The amount of torque from that motor and the sound is pretty awesome. Moving off it needs hardly any revs above tickover and pulls like a train.
This being a later one with rubber-mounted motor it had hardly any vibration at all. The sound even drew a motorcycling neighbour over to see what he thought was my new bike..
I'm not sure if I'd want to ride it any great distance with that riding position and no screen, but for an around town and Sunday ride/shorter trips bike I'm definitely tempted. It was a good reminder to always keep an open mind. ;)