Custom cruisers.

Chat about any motorbike here.
2wheelover51
Current Ride: 2012 Burgman 400 Limited

Re: Custom cruisers.

Post by 2wheelover51 »

Well now that the colder weather's arrived, I'm finding a problem with the foot-forward cruiser configuration which no one warned me about.. The icy draft which blows straight up your trouser legs when you ride in jeans! :D 8-) :twisted:

Z750Jay
Current Ride: Vstrom 1000

Post by Z750Jay »

When I had a custom and the temps dropped under 12’c I used to dig out the welly boots. Jeans got tucked inside, cheapy workman’s over trousers over the top. Warm and dry (ish - any thing over 85 would track water up the boot)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2wheelover51

Post by 2wheelover51 »

I was thinking of using my bright yellow bicycle clips to close up the gap.. :) But I've started using my textile trousers instead, which have the velcro ankle fastening.

2wheelover51

Post by 2wheelover51 »

Well the cost of my "jet-up" on the Shadow, and the curing of the weak running symptoms is that the fuel consumption has dropped from 55 to about 42 mpg. Worth it? Not sure really, except that I have peace of mind from not running the motor too hot with the possible associated problems that can entail. You pays your money, as they say. ;)

2wheelover51

Post by 2wheelover51 »

Riding the Shadow the last few weeks on wet roads I've had quite a few "moments" with the back end stepping out quite badly. Twice on acceleration and a few times just banking into wet and greasy corners. There's plenty of meat left on both tyres (front Avon Venom, rear Metzeller Marathon). Both seem ok compound-wise eg. not hardened up, but the rear is very squared off (although plenty of tread left). I'm wondering if cornering on a reduced radius due to the squareing off is the cause of the problem together with the cold wet roads . I think I need new tyres. 8-)

Scootypuff snr

Post by Scootypuff snr »

Squaring off IMO feels like your falling off a kerb.

I think the roads are just greasy from wet/dry tons of road salt.

Cruisers always keep me aware over enthusiasm in corners especially.

If you can I'd leave new boots till better weather

2wheelover51

Post by 2wheelover51 »

Yes I think I'll be using my TMax a bit more. I was riding with the squared off tyres in summer and banking as far as I could without any handling problems at all, in fact I was "well impressed" with the handling.
I think the torque of the motor is also catching me out and I need to take things a bit more easily, while the roads are wet and greasy, until I get some new rubber, maybe when spring arrives. :|

2wheelover51

Post by 2wheelover51 »

Well you could have knocked me down with a feather :D
Went for a ride today on the Shadow and going very gingerly around bends, taking it easy in the greasy conditions. I got home and gave it a wash to get rid of the mud which sprays all over the headstock and radiator etc. I decided to check the tyre pressures.
20 psi in the rear (Manual says should be 33) and 25 in the front (manual says 33, manufacturers writing on tyre says 42!)
so put 35 in rear and 36 in front. Will ride tomorrow to see how things have improved.. :oops:
There's a lot to be said for weekly checks :| Now I know I have slow punctures.

2wheelover51

Post by 2wheelover51 »

Well the Shadow is back to it's fine handling (for a cruiser) with the right tyre pressures. What a duffer! :)
I think I'll get a can of that punctureseal or whatever it's called.

2wheelover51

Post by 2wheelover51 »

I'm still wondering whither I should take my TMax on my trip up to Scotland (450 miles one way) or go on my 1100 Shadow.
Can any of our previous cruiser riders offer any advice as to which would be the best bike for such a trip? I've used the TMax 3 times for this trip already.
I really want to take the Shadow to try it out as it would be my first long trip on the bike but the practicalities of the TMax say "take me!" I've previously done a maximum of about 100 miles on the Shadow and quite enjoyed the ride, but that was in the middle of summer and didn't include any motorway miles.. :?
Cheers.