Off for a road test today.

Chat about any motorbike here.
Steve_D
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Off for a road test today.

Post by Steve_D »

Currently have a SH300 for my daily commute and an FJR for my once a year trip. Trying to find one bike for both. Probably impossible but I'm off out in a minute to try out a Yamaha Tracer - both the 700 and 900 versions. No doubt will be okay for the trip but might be too much for the commute. Any Tracer owners on here?
Paddle harder. I can hear banjo music!

Honda SH300i

Scootypuff snr

Re: Off for a road test today.

Post by Scootypuff snr »

Steve
Think you'll prefer the 900. It's the model I wish I'd bought. Roadrunner has had the MT9.
MT9 has a wider tank for tank bag luggage fitment on full lock.

I think they are like the V Stroms in that they do a job but won't set your world alight.

I have an XSR 700 (If you want a gander let me know) I'm a bit hit & miss with it, I've only done 3000 miles on it (mostly France trips) luggage is laughable but it such a giggle hooning between traffic lights.

Keep putting it up for sale then decide I'll keep it as it is fun and has the potential of the old XS650 for customising.

Try a V Strom they do have a silent following or my current love the X-ADV (can't stop raving about it) and I've no doubt side panniers will soon be available.

Other brands Try a Versys Kwak can't give their bikes away at the moment especially Midlands area I'm told

Steve_D
Benefactor

Post by Steve_D »

Well, I went with a mate (1200 Trophy owner) who was also looking for a 'lighter' bike. We had the 700 and 900 out at the same time and swapped halfway through. We were out for about an hour and a half, did a mixture of A and B roads and motorways and stopped for a cuppa at Brands Hatch to watch some Mini's having a practice. We both liked neither! Sure, they were both nimble and a lot lighter than our bikes but the seats on both were uncomfortable and the suspension a little too hard but the main thing was the wind blast! I'm talking about blast from 50mph+. We may have been spoiled with the bikes we have and the excellent wind protection they afford. Yes, I know you can get different screens for the Tracers but you dont want to spend £9k + (with luggage) and start hoping to find a screen that may or may not work for you. I was looking for a bike that I could commute on for 50 weeks of the year and do a 2000+ mile trip, with luggage, on motorways at 80+ mph once a year and neither would suit me for commuting and touring. I suppose what I have learned today is that's there's no such thing as a perfect bike for all occasions - an all rounder - it's horses for courses so I'll stick with the SH for commuting and the FJR for trips.

Before I went I was expecting to ride the Tracer (which is sold as a touring bike) and realise what a monsterous, prehistoric bike the FJR was. I got back on to the FJR to come home and thought "Yes, This is the bike for me!" Comfortable, smooth, protection from the elements and power, lots of power, in abundance. My mate felt the same about his Trophy. Oh well......

Honda SH300i

poldark
Current Ride: X9 250Evo+B650[F]+NC750X [GB]

Post by poldark »

There's no law that says you have to rationalise, you seem to have two bikes ideally suited to your two riding requirements.

I could try to make a case for my new bike (NC750X DCT) but I'm pretty sure it'll fail against the FJR for long distance and weather protection, the only reason for changing would be 80mpg but you'll buy a lot of fuel with the money you'd have to spend to buy one!!
Honda NC750X DCT (2017)

Maxsymuppet
Current Ride: Maxsym 600i

Post by Maxsymuppet »

I say keep the SH300. I've had one and there's nothing better for commuting. So narrow and nimble. I only traded mine in as a part-ex for a new Burgman. If I could I would have had the Burgman and kept the SH.

Normsthename
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield Classic 350

Post by Normsthename »

I owned an MT-09 which has a very similar engine to the Tracer 900 and the engine is a peach
Too fierce in full power mode, I kept mine mostly in rain mode which made it much more enjoyable.
The Tracer 900 has been updated to tame the engine a little so much better IMO
A few months ago I had a test ride on the Tracer 700 and I really enjoyed it!
Can't say I found anything that I didn't like, it's still on my potential next bike list :)

Andy
2024 Royal Enfield Classic 350
1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing
2016 Microcar MGO3 - 4 wheeled Scooter with a roof :D

road runner
Benefactor
Current Ride: MaxSYM 600i + Vespa GTS

Post by road runner »

I recently sold my MT09 Tracer having done 12000 miles in just over a year and for me, it did everything well. I agree about the seat being a little on the firm side but a gel pad sorted that for me. I never found wind blast a problem with the standard screen set on its highest and I am 6'1". I agree with others that the engine is a peach and the engine modes were useful. My reason for selling was that having more time on my hands, I just wanted a bike that I could "tinker" with and I now have a FZS 1000 Faser sitting alongside the little Vespa.
Yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery but today is a gift!

Steve_D
Benefactor

Post by Steve_D »

Well, I don't know what I'm going to do now. Before I road tested the Tracer, I mentioned on a FJR site I was thinking of selling and forgot all about it. The Yamaha dealer said they would give me £3,000 px on mine if I bought a new Tracer (I dropped it reversing off my drive and damaged the n/s mirror, fairing, exhaust and top box etc). Last week out of the blue I had a text from someone asking me if I still had my FJR for sale. It just sits in my garage and is rarely used - I've done 12,000 miles in 4 years and that includes 4 European trips of around 2,500 miles per trip. Long story short, he came round and we settled on £4,200. It's gone! Don't know what I'm going to do next year.

Honda SH300i

kayz1
Benefactor
Current Ride: Scott X-ADV75 + bmw r90s + c70

Post by kayz1 »

Pad the Tracer seat and buy soft luggage :lol:
Lyn.