NC750s or x vs Keeping my TMax 500

Chat about any motorbike here.
Funkycowie
Admin
Current Ride: Honda NC750x

NC750s or x vs Keeping my TMax 500

Post by Funkycowie »

I'm torn...I like my TMax and sure with its brand new clutch she goes great, but I've had MK3 Tmax's for 8 years and whilst I could keep the TMax until it dies I looks at the NC750's and get the hankering for something different.

NC750 vs TMax MK3 500
50mpg vs 75mpg - I'd save £260 a year over 7000 miles
The NC has ABS where the TMax does not but the TMax has dual discs up front
NC has easier access to do maintenance but the TMax has better weather protection for the rider.
Sale value of the TMax will almost get me a low mileage second hand NC
NC has less storage space but not by much so not a deal breaker
NC has handle bar mirrors vs fairing mounted, I kinda prefer fairing because I know where they are all the time.
NC has more open crevices to clean, the TMax is in theory easier as the fairing protects it.
NC's chain is open to the elements but the TMax chain is sealed in an oil bath.

And if I really decided to go for an NC I have to convince the missus some how, decisions decisions... I think I need a test ride on an s and an x.
ImageImageImageImage
Past Bikes: Piaggio B125, Gilera Nexus 500, TMax MK3 in White, TMax MK3 in Yellow, TMax MK3 in Yellow, Honda NC750x in Blue...

rtfm
Current Ride: Integra 700

Re: NC750s or x vs Keeping my TMax 500

Post by rtfm »

Screw everything else, only a test ride will tell. Don't forget the nc's longer service intervals too at 8000 miles

kayz1
Benefactor
Current Ride: Scott X-ADV75 + bmw r90s + c70

Post by kayz1 »

Make sure you can get a good long test ride Funky, 40 mins is not enough...the bikes are so different being so low revving you do have to get used to the engine and use the torq as it does not have a high revving motor...manual or DCT?
Lyn.

Funkycowie
Admin

Post by Funkycowie »

DCT, the TMax is low revving so I am anticipating it'll be similar.

I didn't think of the service intervals... something more to add to the pro side.
ImageImageImageImage
Past Bikes: Piaggio B125, Gilera Nexus 500, TMax MK3 in White, TMax MK3 in Yellow, TMax MK3 in Yellow, Honda NC750x in Blue...

mottza
Admin
Current Ride: 2023 Honda ADV350

Post by mottza »

You're much more in the open compared to a scooter. An integra might be a better option.

I have had them for courtesy bikes and although they take some getting used to I liked the raw power of them. If I was Commuting every day I think I'd keep a scoot.
2023 Honda ADV350 & 2020 Honda Super Cub 125

2wheelover51
Current Ride: 2012 Burgman 400 Limited

Post by 2wheelover51 »

I've also thought about an NC750 or 700 this year. If I get one it would be purely for the fantastic fuel economy really.
When you compare them side by side as a daily rider the TMax is really hard to beat, and I'm sure you'd miss a lot of the convenient features, Funky (like the enclosed chain, glove boxes etc). As you said though, 8 years is a long time to have the one model. :|

kayz1
Benefactor

Post by kayz1 »

Funkycowie wrote:DCT, the TMax is low revving so I am anticipating it'll be similar.

I didn't think of the service intervals... something more to add to the pro side.
Plus side again, large wheels make the tyres last longer too.

kayz1
Benefactor

Post by kayz1 »

Alice has had two Integra stollen from that Londenium place with-in a couple of months..S or X may be better.

horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Post by horobags »

On our French trip 2 years ago me (integra) and chippie (t-max) had a swap, the t-max is a more sportier machine, revvy,buzzier with great handling. The integra's NC engine is totally different and Chippie didn't like it. The thing about the NC DCT is that it does take a long time to get used to it but when you do its very enjoyful, very torquey low down and very reliable.For me an aftermarket can makes all the difference and a must.
Funky just tell the missus how much you will save annually on running costs , that will sort it. :D
Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.

Funkycowie
Admin

Post by Funkycowie »

Horobags, I have tried that with the missus... I thought I would save more than £260 annually on fuel!
Thinking about it further though... there is one less service a year so also saves about £60 on average for a self service but I could get a mechanic to do it and likely still save over the max.

Mottza, loss of weather protection is a downside but the Integra doesn't really do it for me, and seeing what Lyn said makes me shy away even more.

2wheels, I don't really use the cubby holes and the underseat storage only gets used for my helmet... the enclosed chain is also a downside but motorcyclists seem to manage.
ImageImageImageImage