Language

Read the rules & latest site announcements or suggest an idea for the forums

Should we have an automatic swear word moderator?

Poll ended at Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:22 pm

Yes
18%
No
59%
Not bothered.
24%

Total votes: 17

rjc1944
Current Ride: 2009 Burgman 400

Language

Post by rjc1944 »

Could we please have some moderation on the use of foul language on here, particularly in topic headings? Although I fully agree with the sentiments expressed within the posting, to have "F^&*(^g Scum" screaming out from the page every time I look at New Posts is offensive and unnecessary.

Admin Edit: Added a poll to the beginning of this thread. It will run for 30 days. At the end of this time if the answer is clear then I will add it in. I have made it so you can change your cote if you change your mind.
2009 Burgman 400 in sunny Perranporth :D
Always seek the happy medium - she's out there, riding her scooter.

JohnR93
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda NT700 Deauville

Re: Language

Post by JohnR93 »

+1 to that.
I'm broad minded and there aren't many swear words that I have not heard before (and understand what they mean), however I would not like my granddaughter to see them while I'm reading the posts...
Regards,
(100% Ugly Bunch Member)

rtfm
Current Ride: Integra 700

Post by rtfm »

Bad language on here doesn't offend me but it's a fair point, especially in the titles of threads.

Funky - maybe we could have a bad language filter setting for people who need/want to filter out all the
fun words? We could start a new thread with suggestions on which words should be banned! :shock: :twisted:

Steve_D
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Post by Steve_D »

Sorry about that, point taken and modified, but I was posting where you are encouraged to talk 'complete bollocks' - that sort of sets the tone of allowed language but I agree, definitely not for the heading title. I've calmed down a bit since that first post! Again, my apologies.
Paddle harder. I can hear banjo music!

Honda SH300i

JohnR93
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda NT700 Deauville

Post by JohnR93 »

Steve_D wrote:Sorry about that, point taken and modified, but I was posting where you are encouraged to talk 'complete bollocks' - that sort of sets the tone of allowed language but I agree, definitely not for the heading title. I've calmed down a bit since that first post! Again, my apologies.
Accepted... :kiss: KC&CO
Regards,
(100% Ugly Bunch Member)

pikey

Post by pikey »

Is Meldrew a swear word

pikey

Post by pikey »

:lol: :lol:

Funkycowie
Admin
Current Ride: Honda NC750x

Post by Funkycowie »

As far as I am aware this is the first time this has ever been brought up. The only word that is auto moderated is c**t.

I think as we are all adults here we should not rely on such tools but self moderate instead. However if the majority want it then it would be easy to put in.

EDIT: Added a poll to the beginning of this thread. It will run for 30 days. At the end of this time if the answer is clear then I will add it in. I have made it so you can change your cote if you change your mind.
ImageImageImageImage
Past Bikes: Piaggio B125, Gilera Nexus 500, TMax MK3 in White, TMax MK3 in Yellow, TMax MK3 in Yellow, Honda NC750x in Blue...

Waldorf
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Waldorf »

I find the use of 'foul' language generally offensive if it's used gratuitously.

However, much as I don't care for it, in the case which has brought up the subject just now, I sympathise completely with the poster so turned a blind eye. After all, I suspect many of us would have at least said out loud what was written here.

If I recall correctly, one of the primary reasons for the establishment of the Maxi-Muppets Forum was that the founders were fed up with the restrictions placed on members of other forums, in terms of language especially.

At first, anything 'went' here but things have evolved and calmed down somewhat.

I think that self-regulation is the key here rather than imposed 'rules'; the matter in hand appears to have been resolved satisfactorily and in a friendly manner.

Just my thoughts.
Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
"Ignorant people will always be afraid of what's different and will always mock what they don't understand."
Capitano

Proud to be a member of the Ugly Bunch

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

I'd prefer a generally work safe site, with a specific area for anything goes.
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should