08/11/14 - Hartside ride out

pikey

Re: 08/11/14 - Hartside ride out

Post by pikey »

I thought it was strange came thro on Facebook as event cancelled but no mention on here till after the event .

Fishtown Phil
Benefactor
Current Ride: Xevo 125 Suzuki gs250t

Post by Fishtown Phil »

It started to rain just after Fleet services, and was coming down heavy and hard on the M25, but I'd checked the weather forecast before setting out from Brixham and had my full waterproofs to pull on, so I was very warm and dry when I arrived at the meeting point on the A12. There was some serious amount of water on the roads and the order of the day was most definitely "drive with caution ", but by the time we moved off the rain had stopped and the sun came out!
But having said all that, I have ridden across the Pennines many times, and in different seasons, and you're right, it can be a tad bleak at times!

pikey

Post by pikey »

We are not really comparing like with like
1 Pie meet was not in November .I don't think there's been a November one and doubt many would go
2 Southern Muppets are large percentage commuters so have to get to work in all weathers.
3 There's a difference between weathers bad I have to get to work and I want to ride for pleasure to highest cafe in England .

SOLO
Current Ride: Piaggio X8 125

Post by SOLO »

Not logged on for days as working 50 hr per week at mo so tiny bit busy.

Unfountly the back tyer needed doing, and so i fitted a new tyer ( Micherlin winter grip ) covered 55miles on it, and as my plan was to scrub it in by time the ride out came, but started raining heavy here in leeds, and with it been heavy rain and big puddles and loads of wet leaves and crap down the countryside roads, i decided to cancel the ride, i texted gerard C to let him know it was cancled and also texted 7 others who was up for it who gave me there numbers.

Sorry for anyone who didnt see the facebook notification, i left the notification up most of the day then clicked the cancel button, the day after and all week i been doing 50hrs week shift so not really had time to log on here.

like Meldrew said the roads up there would be crap with steep hills and heavy rain water flowing down them, would been been slippy with crap and wet leaves, i dont think it would have been a safe or Fun ride as it would all would been back roads as i cant use motorways.

It was safer to cancle than to do the ride out, sorry for anyone that wanted to come.
Solo West Yorkshire Leeds! Wacht out for killer taxi drivers!

Gerard C
Benefactor
Current Ride: Suzuki Burgman 650

Post by Gerard C »

Richard and I turned up at Squires. We knew the ride was off but with the Mrs sleeping after a night shift and Rich with a pass out we wanted a run somewhere. We were at Squires for 10 stayed for a brew then went off for a decent breakfast in Harrogate. What a traffic jam that place is - never ending queues! Didn't see many others on two wheels at all.

Ferrit
Current Ride: MP3 400ie

Post by Ferrit »

Meldrew wrote:If you got soaked from torrential rain on your pie and mash run, it's plain enough that your choice of rain gear needs improving. Also you do realise that a lot of that route over to Hartside from North Yorkshire is over the Pennines and above the treeline, where it's barren, windswept, and exposed. No probably you don't.
1. I got soaked because I trusted the weatherman. I have good wet weather gear but do not ride it for days they say will be sunny with showers.....I now contest their meaning of shower!

2. I know exactly where it is. I spent a lot of time through work riding up and down to Pennistone and surrounding areas. I did this all year except in winter when they closed some of the roads so used other methods.
2013 Mp3 500sport
2007 MP3 400ie

A less than Civil Servant
Herts & Beds SERV

curzon
Benefactor
Current Ride: Burgman 400 - K9

Post by curzon »

Meldrew wrote:
Ferrit wrote:I know exactly where it is. I spent a lot of time through work riding up and down to Pennistone and surrounding areas. I did this all year except in winter when they closed some of the roads so used other methods.
Then you ought to know it's spelled Penistone. :)
Or spelt even ... as we are being pedantic :lol:
Never look down on anyone ........ unless it is to help them up

Steve_D
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Post by Steve_D »

Depends whether you are using the word as an American noun or an English verb.

http://www.grammar-monster.com/mobile/e ... _spelt.htm

As it says, easily confused. :lol:
Paddle harder. I can hear banjo music!

Honda SH300i

SOLO
Current Ride: Piaggio X8 125

Post by SOLO »

Glad you had a ride out Gerard C, i spent the day inside on the sofa, 50 hrs killing me and i was still knackered even tho was my day off,
Solo West Yorkshire Leeds! Wacht out for killer taxi drivers!

frankiej1949
Benefactor
Current Ride: Suzuki Burgman 650

Post by frankiej1949 »

These youngsters don't know they are born. Many is the day we used to get up two hours before we went to bed :lol: