Bank Holiday Burgman DIY Weekend

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Re: Bank Holiday Burgman DIY Weekend

Post by Data »

Poldark, I think that's fine. You won't get problems due to car oil especially with the Active8. Using car oil in a scooter with a dry clutch is not wrong. But it can be likened a bit to using a mineral oil instead of semi or fully syn in a bike I guess. The results can be similar. The semi or fully syn oil is better, just as a motorcycle oil is better than a car oil for most bike/scooter engines. 10-12 years ago car oil was quite a bit different in it's make up. And, a bit more suited to motorcycle/scooter use because it had loads of anti wear stuff in it including phosphor and other metal elements that acted as friction modifiers. Now, due to Euro 4 & 5 regs for cars, those things have had to be removed or reduced so car oil is not now quite so suitable for high revving bike/scooter engines. Bikes only have to comply with Euro3 so can use bike oils with these friction modifiers in them still, plus they have other stuff in them too to reduce wear. Then of course, if the bike has a wet clutch, there can be problems on some engines with car oil. But my experience is that few bikes with a wet clutch actually suffer a clutch problem due to car oil use. Basically, motorcycle oil gets a bad press because everyone thinks the oil company's are ripping us off. It's more expensive per litre than car oil. But there are good reasons for that and it's not the same oil as car oil. There are differences to allow it to withstand the high revs, high torque loads, and high temperatures of a bike engine.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

halfabusa wrote:Hmm, strange stuff about motul. I found a good price on opie oils for shell, so i ordered a couple of 1L bottles from there. They have a 20% discount code on their main page so it comes to just under £20 inc shipping which is good price i guess...

Here's the one i ordered: http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-69341-shell ... e-oil.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

While on the topic, do you guys change the oil filter with every oil change? I tend to do that on the bikes as they don't cost much and the cleaner the better right?

(Btw, i unashamedly used castrol car oil on the tmax with wet clutch and had no issues either even after two oil changes - asda had a tempting discount on the oil )
Hi mate, yes...like you I tend to change the oil filter every time as they are so so cheap and it's easy to do as you know. That sounds a good price on your oil too.

Jimo
Benefactor
Current Ride: 92 Helix

Post by Jimo »

Halfabusa & Data ~ A very well laid out and descriptive account of normal 'servicing work' made more difficult by having to remove the Tupperware - that undoubtedly would put people off doing such work.

My 'new' Burgy is a 400k8 (in Black) bought in August '14 and having just over 10,000 miles on it, I have only ridden it for 4 miles - on test ride before buying, then damn it I had a heart attack so it's been in the garage ever since just waiting for fine dry weather... Yes, I'm one of those! Many years ago I rode to work daily on my bikes come wind, rain, fog or whatever, but now on the outbound side of 77 I ride just for the pure enjoyment of doing so. On every machine I've ever owned, both car and bikes, I've always done my own servicing and repairs that at the various times were enjoyable and satisfying - especially knowing that jobs had been done properly.

Much as I look forward to riding my new Burgy, at 77 and with a back problem I don't relish (in fact cannot) work at floor level anymore and the worry of breaking the Tupperware parts during attempted removal worries me sick, an M/c lift would be an advantage but finding such at a reasonable price AND transporting it could be a problem. I've had my Sunbeam S8 for 48 years and short of removing the engine have managed to do all necessary work and upgrades to it - latterly from a sitting position but Burgy methinks is a different proposition...!

Jim
‘82 Honda Lead 80, '84 Lead 125, ‘94 Honda Helix, ‘79 Honda ST70

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

Hello Jimo, and congrats on getting the Burgman. Sorry to hear you have had a heart attack. I do hope you are doing ok now. It sounds as if you are! It sure doesn't matter that you only ride in the 'dry'. The main thing is that you ride! Over time I too have been no stranger to illness and there is nothing like taking to two wheels to make you feel better. Riding is a great tonic!

Yes, the fear of taking off the Burgman body panels is considerable amongst newer owners of the breed. But in actual fact, it's not difficult once you know what to do to get them to unclip. No strength needed, just the right technique, as with most things. There are many many video's on YouTube about maintaining your Burgman 400 made by a wonderful chap called Micbergsma (Mitch is his name). He covers every bit of servicing you need to do. He is quite concise about the 'how to' side of it. He also shows the easy way to remove any panels that are necessary. Fortunately, the 2007+ machines don't really require much in the way of panelwork to be removed for routine servicing. So again don't worry about that. Oil and filter changes, spark plug, transmission work can all be carried out with little access needed. I recommend getting a Haynes manual though. That's a good backup for anything you may want to do and it does give all the torque wrench settings too which are important as you will know, for the scooter. It's also worth noting that you can maintain and repair almost every part of the engine and transmission with the engine is situ. It's only if you need to go inside the crankcase that it has to come out. And that too is pretty easy...but you'd definitely need a bike lift if you have a back issue.

I hope you get on ok with your bike. Post often with any exploits you live through. We all want to hear about them. Stay well! Bye for now.

Jimo
Benefactor
Current Ride: 92 Helix

Post by Jimo »

Hi Data, I'm pleased to read your reply, you give me confidence to do most things as I have done on all my machinery for the last 60 years, if I get into trouble I'm not too far from Chelmsford....Am I ?
Seriously though I really look forward to riding this lovely bike, call it scoot or what you like, then again I always have my Sunbeam S8 to ride if the weather is really nice!

It is unfortunate that I've found the Burgman so late in life, my dear lady wife is 3 years my senior and smaller and not a great motorcyclist or pillionist so that will kind of limit my rides to day jobs rather than Tours.

Jim
‘82 Honda Lead 80, '84 Lead 125, ‘94 Honda Helix, ‘79 Honda ST70