Anyone up for an adventure

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
Peterp1per
Current Ride: Burgman 400

Re: Anyone up for an adventure

Post by Peterp1per »

A lot of folk don't comply with the six month rule but are effectively uninsured. A police road stop would be ok but any kind of bump or misshap brings in a whole new level of red tape that would reveal the overstay and give the uk insurer a get out. Very big fine and probable loss of scoot. Not to mention unlimied personal liability to third parties.
The system is rigged to ensure no one can profit from importing a foreign vehicle. The 2012 is just worth registering in portugal although once done would not need the first mot in 2015 so could
stay without the return trip.
I might be able to sell it and only lose 25% of what it owes me, it would still have mph clocks and so forth.
If staying here I would keep it.

The 2002 with a fresh mot would be good for six months but would then have to go to another eu country, then back to the uk for the next annual mot.
Yes I know it is possible to get a bent uk mot even now while abroad but I'm sure it's very expensive, illegal and I don't move in those circles.

The 2002 is thus just junk to me though I would pay the delivery cost, use it for six months then scrap it or try to sell it to someone returning to the uk, perhaps a motorhomer, though it's a bit heavy for most other than the very big ones.
It's all a bit silly but I just like it so much more than the newer one and would like to ride it again if only for a while.

pikey

Post by pikey »

Years ago I met a full time Mhomer in Narbonne they had been away for 5 years in UK reg van .This was before days of online checking he had got insurance but no tax and got a Spanish MOT every year just to prove it was road worthy if anything happened but still not legal .Im sure that now anyone can check online tax mot insurance status of uk vehicle that any euro cops can or at least thro there control centre.I got stopped and weighed in my van in Switzerland Im sure they checked me out while weighing it .I gave him V5 as that had weights on it not sure gave him insurance and passport .We never got out of the van just had to drive onto weighing pads .

pikey

Post by pikey »

I've planned a stop at Camping Quarteira if it works out renting Mobile homes each night along coast of Portugal .Not sure which way around we are doing round trip as yet

Peterp1per

Post by Peterp1per »

The Orbitur chain of campsites have little chalets of vaying quality, some are shut till spring. One night is not always an option. On the south coast we have Quateria, Praia de Luz and Sagres then on the west coat a whole bunch of them all the way up to spain.
Plenty of other options, most sites have chalets, the one at Armacao de Pera (nearest beach) is particularly easy going if run down somewhat.

pikey

Post by pikey »

If you book thro Holiday Cheque can have 1 night was a minimum of 3 at one time .Ive run them all thro booking system and were OK .Its better for 3 of us as cant always get room for 3 and at least we know it has parking and fairly secure .Not like parking in the street outside a hotel in a town .Plus can add a person if needed.

pikey

Post by pikey »

Is burger delivery on or off ? We will be on Algarve on 15th April going west down coast .Booking in new year after meet up .

pikey

Post by pikey »

Change of plan not going as far south now Sticking to Spain .Pm for details if interested .

poldark
Current Ride: X9 250Evo+B650[F]+NC750X [GB]

Post by poldark »

pikey wrote:Change of plan not going as far south now Sticking to Spain .Pm for details if interested .
Sorry but I'm not going to make the Burger delivery as a solo venture, it worked for me as part of a small (but perfectly formed) group with necessary support should anything go awry.

The timing was always a bit of an issue for me given recent personal circumstance changes, so I'll take a back seat now and hopefully someone else will be interested in the opportunity for a Portugese adventure.
Honda NC750X DCT (2017)

pikey

Post by pikey »

Hadn't heard anything and had chance of cheap accommodation as a base further north rather than a tour so booked that . In same position and trying to keep costs down . ;) ;)

Peterp1per

Post by Peterp1per »

Oh well thanks for trying guys, I guess it will just have to be shipped, or I could fly back and run it down, but that would be very expensive in kennel fee's.
With the euro as good as it is I could buy a single bike trailer for the shipping cost and collect it when I bring the car back for mot, unless anyone has a trailer they want to flog in the uk.
I'm being told my 2012 400 will cost 1100 euros to put on Portuguese plates, Suzuki want £90 and 50 days to deliver a c of c so that's just the start. Scooters over 125 aren't common here as below that size no mot is needed, or a licence either. Actually I think it might be 250cc mot exempt.