Test riding a 650 because I can't find a 400 - advice

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
michaelphillips
Benefactor
Current Ride: Daelim S250 Advance

Re: Test riding a 650 because I can't find a 400 - advice

Post by michaelphillips »

there are three very good choices rather than the burg, not far out of your reach, presumingly its a cash buy after the insurance pay off, all with abs and not far from you, 2 are private sales so room to haggle, buying new is fun but getting a ride with first two services done by dealer is a good cost effective bet, and also for getting your dosh back when selling on...
this one is a steal if still available
http://www.themotorbikemanlondon.co.uk/ ... don-612730

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... &logcode=p

http://www.bowenmoto.co.uk/locator/5404 ... ZZexxtViko
I cant seem to remember.. I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way.

frankiej1949
Benefactor
Current Ride: Suzuki Burgman 650

Post by frankiej1949 »

If you test ride a 650 you will never look at a 400 again!

Deleted User 4154

Post by Deleted User 4154 »

Meldrew wrote:'5 hours round trip' complaint.
<4 yorkshiremen> LUXURY! It was six hours each way to get my Honda Elite from South Wales. </4 yorkshiremen>

Seriously though, you can't count on what you want turning up on the doorstep, especially not if you're looking for a bargain.

The Bern
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silverwing 600

Post by The Bern »

Jaz wrote:
Meldrew wrote:'5 hours round trip' complaint.
<4 yorkshiremen> LUXURY! It was six hours each way to get my Honda Elite from South Wales. </4 yorkshiremen>
<4 yorkshiremen> That's nowt !!!!! I walked 23 miles to collect my first ever brand new bike </4 yorkshiremen>
Have wheels, will travel :D

Hammy
Current Ride: Vespa GTS 300

Post by Hammy »

Thanks for the responses! Much to think about. I will try out some different brands, and probably will end up making a day out of going further afield to find a 400 Burgman. I have been considering the X10, not least because I quite liked the Piaggio dealer I got the old Vespa from, but the fuse box issue I've read bout is a little off putting.

By the way, I don't want to give the impression that I'm some spoilt Londoner who expects everything on his doorstep! Remember that due to the theft of my previous ride, I'm doing this on public transport and in London that invariably means cramming onto some swealtering, overcrowded tube train for 40 minutes before you even get to the main line station, where you then fork over a small fortune for a train ticket.

I'm originally from Dundee, and believe me, it's often easier to get from there to Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Glasgow and especially Perth than it is to get from one side of London to the other!

Even though the consensus seems to be that it's a very different beast to the 400, I think I'll do the 650 test ride anyway. It'll be an interesting experience at least.

Here's the link to the page with the info on Suzuki's test ride tour, in case anyone else is interested:

https://www.suzuki-gb.co.uk/motorcycles ... -roadshow/

-Hammy

gn2

Post by gn2 »

so true 28 mile round trip to the gruel and turnip emporium.

rascaltrousers
Current Ride: Burgman 650

Post by rascaltrousers »

Test riding is difficult since the new tax laws. Dealers don't have to tax bikes and the previous owner's tax expires as soon as the biuke is sold so it can't be taken on the public roads. When I bought my s/h 650 I rode it around the industrial estate where the dealer was located and thta was enough for me to know it was ok as I've had bog scoots before. BTW don't test ride a 650 if you want a 400 because you WILL end up wanting the 650. It is fantastic!
Its not the trousers but the rascal inside them that counts. :twisted:

bornagainbiker
Current Ride: Honda Forza 300

Post by bornagainbiker »

rascaltrousers wrote:Test riding is difficult since the new tax laws. Dealers don't have to tax bikes and the previous owner's tax expires as soon as the biuke is sold so it can't be taken on the public roads.
Dealers have and use a Motor Trade plate for that exact reason, so really not difficult.
2018 Honda Forza 300 Daelim S3 Advance 250 Piaggio Fly 125 3v Burgman 650 L1 Burgman 400 K8

spaceprobe
Benefactor
Current Ride: Maxsym 600i ABS

Post by spaceprobe »

Its nice to know (considering all the flack) thats its not just SYM to are hard to find test rides for.
Maximum respect

SOOTYGULL
Current Ride: Honda Forza 125

Post by SOOTYGULL »

Hammy,

Been there, done that ... see my post A TALE OF TWO TEST RIDES.
Hammy wrote:Hi Muppets! This is my second post after my introduction to the forum.

I have been thinking about buying a new Burgman 400

I went back on the Suzuki website and the next nearest one is St. Neots up near Cambridge - a 5 hour round trip for me! I didn't even bother to call that dealer so I don't even know if they have one in reality.

-Hammy
Having written to Suzuki, I actually got a personal phone call from Suzuki to say THE ST NEOTS dealer had got a demo machine for me.

After a test ride, I bought the demo bike.

No I didn't buy a scooter from them BUT think I saw a 400 Burgman in their showroom.

I digress ... years ago I had one of the first 250 Burgman in the country and then Paul Blezard a scooter journalist brought over his AN 400 Burgman and we swapped machines for a comparative test ride ... I ended up on the front cover of Twist and Go magazine.

Anyway I thought the AN400 back then was GREAT, a bit extra oomph and improved handling.

Can't say what the 650 is like but the impression I get from seeing it is it is heavier and bulkier.
Still Scooterin'