Top Box LED kit ...

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
PhilD
Current Ride: 2020 Burgman 400Z

Top Box LED kit ...

Post by PhilD »

I have bought the Suzuki top box for my 400Z, (990D0-K4902-000), and have realised it's basically a GIVI box rebadged (and slightly restyled). There is also the blanking plug in the base for the LED connector plate.
So, can I fit an LED brake light kit to the box?

When I put the box together, the top reflector looked as though a light kit might be possible, and the nearest box in design to mine is the GIVI E470 Simply III ..... The light kit for that is an E94 ....

The Suzuki base plate doesn't have the mounts for the wiring kit, but I'm not opposed to a little fettling and re-painting of the plate if necessary.

Any advice would be appreciated, if someone has already modded theirs ....

PhilD

Re: Top Box LED kit ...

Post by PhilD »

Update ....

I bought an E94 kit and it fits perfectly. The only difficult part was fitting the electrical connection to the rack plate.
I drilled the hole in the base of the box, took the plate off the bike and covered the area where the cable hole needed to be with masking tape.
Fitting the plate to the box and looking through the hole gave me the position to mount the connector. Mark the position with a pencil, remove the plate and drill a 20mm hole with a cone cutter.
A little reshaping with a half round file to get a good tight fit for the connector and job done.
Wired up following the instructions and I now have a working brake light on a Suzuki box.

Edit: Added pics of brake lights working .....

http://s1378.photobucket.com/user/PhilD ... sort=3&o=0

PhilD

Post by PhilD »

Update ...... I have now added extra LED brake lights within the large reflectors.
They are a strip of silicon encapsulated, sticky back, red 12v LEDS off EBay, really cheap and easy to cut to length.
A quick soldering job to link two strips together, peel off the backing tape, stick in place and run UHU clear glue over all the solder joints to weatherproof.
I replaced the original white plastic reflector inserts with sticky vinyl to maintain visibility.

They are wired to the same harness as the original Givi brake light.

Pics in original album listing at:

Jimo
Benefactor
Current Ride: 92 Helix

Post by Jimo »

I like your mod Phil... I want to add a similar box and electrics to my 400 K8, did they whack you for the Suzi Box? And you say it fits the Givi mount plate?

Jim
‘82 Honda Lead 80, '84 Lead 125, ‘94 Honda Helix, ‘79 Honda ST70

PhilD

Post by PhilD »

Hi Jim,
Where possible I buy OEM accessories for my bikes cos' it saves having to modify bits .... so the rack and box on mine is original. However, after buying the Suzuki box, I realised it was made by Givi with a slightly different top cover. (The Givi V46 is very similar), and I then wanted to add extra lights to the box, so needed to modify the plate after all!
As it's made by Givi, I would think it would fit a Givi rack, but I didn't know that at the time!
The original Suzuki kit - rack, top box, top box colour coded cover and backrest pad cost around £325. The brake light kit was an extra £20 off EBay.
A Givi V46N top box and brake light kit is around £200 + a Givi rack is around £55, and has the punch out for brake light wiring.
However, from what I can make out, a Givi rack is mostly plastic? with metal bits, whereas the Suzuki one is solid hard aluminium.
As you can see from my previous posts in this topic, it is possible to fit the wiring kit to the aluminium rack plate with a little work.
On my box, the colour coded top cover unscrews and the reflectors lift off, with loads of space behind for extra LED strip lights. The Givi V46N looks as though there would be space as well.

Hope this helps ..... :-)

victor
Benefactor
Current Ride: Suzuki Burgman Exec 650 K9

Post by victor »

How did you wire up your brake lights , i have done my top box with tail lights and extra leds with the extra reflective tape behind so that it is also a reflector even behind Give Badge.

PhilD

Post by PhilD »

Sorry Victor, been busy this week .....
The top box I bought was a Suzuki / Givi, and I added an LED brake light kit. If you look at the uploaded pics in Photobucket, you will see I reworked the Suzuki box mount to take the interconnect in the Givi kit.
The wiring was then connected directly into the rear light wiring.
Adding more LED lights behind the reflectors, I then parallel wired them into the wiring for the Givi brake light so all came on together.

victor
Benefactor

Post by victor »

sounds like your are wired into brake lights, somehow, my problem is i have two sets of LEDS one with 2 wires already wired in and another the (brake light one with 4 wires) not wired in or even near bike yet

victor
Benefactor

Post by victor »

just reading up on other forums googled wiring top box. i will get at some point.

PhilD

Post by PhilD »

Hi Victor,

I have drawn out the wiring diagram for my LED brake lights ..... diagram at:

It assumes a Givi LED brake kit and the associated wiring harness, but it could be adapted for any box with a little thought.
The LED strip lights are available all over EBay in strips, from a metre upwards in length. You need 12V red, preferably the waterproof type. They cut at intervals in 3 LED sections of about 3".
A little work with a small soldering iron will give you the loop connections for the double height strip. Make sure you get the polarity right!
The rest of the wiring is self explanatory (hopefully).