'00 Burgman 400 occasionally cutting out

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
primalcarl
Current Ride: S-Wing

'00 Burgman 400 occasionally cutting out

Post by primalcarl »

My Burgman 400 cut out on me the other day whilst I was stopped waiting for a gap at a roundabout. It restarted straight away but as soon as I applied some throttle it wanted to stall again. I had been riding for 5 minutes.

It happened again today 10 minutes into my commute, I was turning slowly left at a junction and it momentarily cut out before springing into life.

What things should I check?

Battery is good.

Fuel is low but still a decent amount left in tank.

Have ordered new plugs and air filter as a service wouldn't hurt.

In the mornings it takes 2-3 times to start, but when it does it revs high until the choke goes off

Scootypuff snr

Re: '00 Burgman 400 occasionally cutting out

Post by Scootypuff snr »

Is it the same issue as before

http://www.maxi-muppets.co.uk/forum/vie ... 49&t=19552

Are the throttle wires under the grip all good, side stand switch?

litl666
Benefactor
Current Ride: nil

Post by litl666 »

there was an issue with earlier 400s cutting out that was linked to regulator earthing and I think it was an early recall?(not the current regulator recall) Its recently been in a post and the solution was to add an extra earth wire. I think you have to remove the under seat storage to access. Might be worth looking at?

Richard400B
Current Ride: S400 Burgman

Post by Richard400B »

This occurs with my 64 plate 400 every now and again. I haven't thought much about it. It normally "stalls" when I've rushed to work without allowing the bike to warm up.

I stop at traffic lights or round abouts and the engine goes night night. Starts up perfectly though.

Hopefully it's nothing to serouis.

smeghead
Benefactor
Current Ride: GTS 300 Touring

Post by smeghead »

My Majesty did this, not often but annoyingly at traffic lights etc. I fitted a Brisk LGS plug and the problem went away. Never stalled again and the scooter ran smoother. I've never had the issue with my Vespa, I think it has a CR8EKB NGK as standard, twin electrode plug.

primalcarl

Post by primalcarl »

I changed the plug last week and it has been fine since until today, at junctions and roundabouts it was trying to cut out on me.

Takes several attempts to start first thing in the morning.

Reckon the carb and fuel system needs checking?

kayz1
Benefactor
Current Ride: Scott X-ADV75 + bmw r90s + c70

Post by kayz1 »

Have you checked the carb heater, early burgers had a carb heater that used to give trouble now and again.
If it only does when cold it could be the problem.

primalcarl

Post by primalcarl »

Thanks I will check that.

Regarding the regulator, I do remember seeing an extra wire going from the battery so it may be that the fix has already been carried out but I will check

primalcarl

Post by primalcarl »

I haven't done any investigation since my last post as the Burgman had largely been behaving itself and I was a bit busy.

Since the temperatures have dropped it's been misbehaving again. This week it wouldn't start so I've stripped all the panels off to give everything a thorough going over.

I'm going to check:
Compression
Valve clearances
Sparkplug and coil
Choke
Carburettor
Carb heater
Fuel pump and lines
All electrical connections

I removed the starter motor last night just for peace of mind and that's turning smoothly.

Just one thing, when I turn the ignition on the fuel gauge needle moves VERY very slowly. Is this normal for Burgmans or a sign of something (ie fuel pump) not working properly?

pikey

Post by pikey »

I came across a video on you tube of guy had starting probs on 99 burgman and it was the ignition pluse pick up was well below spec .It's on same wiring as the stator .