Anyone up for an adventure

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
Peterp1per
Current Ride: Burgman 400

Anyone up for an adventure

Post by Peterp1per »

Hello,
I am temporarily domiciled on the Portuguese Algarve.
I have a 2012 400 Burgman which I shipped out for £350, but now it has been here too long so I must spend 1100 euro putting it on Portuguese plates. Having done this I could sell it here and maybe break even on it, or more likely just carry on using it.

NOW, In a lock-up garage in Marlow Buckinghamshire I have another 400 Burgman 2002 with current MOT and tax. Mechanically good, though would need regular oil checks over a long distance. I last used it on a visit in June this year and had to put in a new battery after which it was fine.
Does anyone fancy delivering it to me? It's 1500 miles on non toll roads and would maybe use £150 in fuel which I would pay for, you could then get a cheap flight back from Faro for 50 quid or so. I might even pay for that too. The ferry from Dover can be cheap if you pick your sailing but that's down to you
Of course you would have to camp or pay your own hotel bills, but if you do it in the Spring it could be fun and you could have the use of it here until you decided to go home. Ultimately I would probably sell it for parts when the six month foreign use is up.

All in all I won't save much doing it this way, but it appeals to my sense of fun, also I have no way to get it from the Marlow address to the shipper in Essex without flying back myself. I can however get a uk friend to get it out for you or send you the keys etc.

If it breaks down on the way, and according to Data this is impossible we would have to scrap it most likely. A mechanically savvy board member could make a judgement on that probability as I would not pay large repair bills. The scrap value could help you get home.

pikey

Re: Anyone up for an adventure

Post by pikey »

If I hadn't just booked for next year would have been just up my street .Great idea

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

Hello Peter, what a nice idea! I've missed my Italian trip twice this year due to hospitalisation and this would have suited me. I'd do it myself for you if it were not for the fact that I've just had a heart issue and been hospitalised yet again. I am still recuperating and will be for some while. After which I don't think Mrs data will be keen on me going places on my own or doing such long trips again (something I've always relished). I'm sure there will be those on here who will jump at the adventure. Just get whoever takes the bike over to you to check the fluids and especially the coolant hoses and brake hoses. Plus of course the usual stuff like tyres, nuts and bolts, electrics etc. Maybe an idea not to push it too hard.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

pikey

Post by pikey »

Steady 60 on non toll roads be fine .

pikey

Post by pikey »

Whens it tax motd until I could do in September

poldark
Current Ride: X9 250Evo+B650[F]+NC750X [GB]

Post by poldark »

I could be interested, finish work on 31st Dec and no plans to work until later next year.

I'm not that far from Marlow being a Southern Muppet, perhaps sometime in March would be feasible. Though I'd be interested to know if any other Muppet would be up to accompany me, as travelling solo has more risks, especially if anything mechanical goes awry.

I started out on a '99 AN400, but being realistic my roadside mechanical skills are "modest".

So anyone else interested in a road-trip? Oh just thought, anyone who rode down with me would have to ride back alone, maybe not doable then.

P.S. How long would Portugese accommodation be available once delivered, it may take me a few days to recover!!
Honda NC750X DCT (2017)

pikey

Post by pikey »

Just told the wife shes told me to do it :shock: :shock:. So put me on the list think Id prefer April early May .Is there a top box on it or givi plate on it.Ive had 2 early 385 cc Burgmans so know a bit but no expert.I would run it up to Lyn in North Wales for a check over and try and talk him in to coming as well .We had been planning a breakfast meet at Morrisons in Gibraltar so this may work out well ;) ;) Id take ferry to Santander

Im 60 next year wife says will part fund trip as pressie.

A few on here that "really" know me will vouch for me but leave judgement to yourself wont loose sleep over it :)

pikey

Post by pikey »

I thought I was a "has been" but could be my come back tour .It worked for Take That :lol: :lol: :lol:

poldark
Current Ride: X9 250Evo+B650[F]+NC750X [GB]

Post by poldark »

pikey wrote:Just told the wife shes told me to do it :shock: :shock:. So put me on the list think Id prefer April early May .Is there a top box on it or givi plate on it.Ive had 2 early 385 cc Burgmans so know a bit but no expert.I would run it up to Lyn in North Wales for a check over and try and talk him in to coming as well .We had been planning a breakfast meet at Morrisons in Gibraltar so this may work out well ;) ;) Id take ferry to Santander

Im 60 next year wife says will part fund trip as pressie.

A few on here that "really" know me will vouch for me but leave judgement to yourself wont loose sleep over it :)
Happy to withdraw interest in favour of the Pikey Reunion Tour :kiss:
Honda NC750X DCT (2017)

pikey

Post by pikey »

poldark wrote:I could be interested, finish work on 31st Dec and no plans to work until later next year.

I'm not that far from Marlow being a Southern Muppet, perhaps sometime in March would be feasible. Though I'd be interested to know if any other Muppet would be up to accompany me, as travelling solo has more risks, especially if anything mechanical goes awry.

I started out on a '99 AN400, but being realistic my roadside mechanical skills are "modest".

So anyone else interested in a road-trip? Oh just thought, anyone who rode down with me would have to ride back alone, maybe not doable then.

P.S. How long would Portugese accommodation be available once delivered, it may take me a few days to recover!!
your best placed really
If could get 3/4 to share cabin to Santander £130 in April for outside one. Scoot and rider from £89 single .Id be interested and think Lyn would .My costs in collecting getting it checked would pay return cost on ferry so could take my own .