Regulator issues fix

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
victor
Benefactor
Current Ride: Suzuki Burgman Exec 650 K9

Regulator issues fix

Post by victor »

whilst out the other week end i had a regulator issues yet agin, to cut along story short i got relayed home,

i stripped down bike to find burnt out wires but not as bad as last time, i went to local bike electricians and they were shut, so i found a supplier to them and found some very interesting fix:-

this nice chap told that Suzuki regulators are all overheating with not many recalls,

he told me to do what Honda have done to resolve this problem.

Take earth wire from regulator straight to the battery stop all stress on wires , job done. 8-)

The Bern
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silverwing 600

Re: Regulator issues fix

Post by The Bern »

Top tip there bud 8-)
Have wheels, will travel :D

curzon
Benefactor
Current Ride: Burgman 400 - K9

Post by curzon »

Had mine fixed via the recall
Never look down on anyone ........ unless it is to help them up

victor
Benefactor
Current Ride: Suzuki Burgman Exec 650 K9

Post by victor »

400 are on recall, but i bet they did not wire it to the battery

MT606
Current Ride: burgman 400 c90

Post by MT606 »

I've been having issues with my an400 Y cutting out, back firing (thought it was just new exhaust being badly made?)and then the last time I was out on her she lost all power then I had to crawl it home the last 3 miles with it popping n stuttering/kangarooing down the road.
thought it may have been ignition coil as I had a similar issue on a 2cv I had, so changed that and everything was good, went for a bimble down to moffat and back to mine on back roads but I had smelt an odd burning sort of smell but as I'd just had some mechanical work done n then it MOT'd I thought it may have been oils/greases burning off on the engine/exhaust? anyways turns out the regulator was fooked! smoking away, dripping little solder shits under it.......
I've just changed the regulator, it's not smoking but the wiring junction box got very warm, very quickly (the connectors didn't look corroded etc) and the engine doesn't sound overly good and doesn't rev freely (feels like it will stall if I tried to pull away due to rich cut)....
Am I going to need to replace the wiring from the junction box back to where ever it starts? HELP!

Ralph
Current Ride: Yamaha X-max 300 300

Post by Ralph »

If the reg/rec bolts to a flat plate put some of the heat sink compound that they use on the back of computer chips on the face before bolting it on it will help the heat conduct and hopefully keep the reg/rec cool.
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

Deleted User 7077

Post by Deleted User 7077 »

I've just brought a used regulator for burger 400 as part of my get me home kit .Also have a combined volt meter with 2 USB ports so can keep eye on things. Overcharging can fry the battery .

Snail
Current Ride: Burgman

Post by Snail »

Hi Jules, is this reg thing something I should be concerned about? We are fully run in now with just over the thousand miles up, my only concern at the moment is poor fuel economy struggling to get 65mpg according to instrument info? Maybe it will improve when able to do longer runs in better weather?

Deleted User 7077

Post by Deleted User 7077 »

Not on a new one but mine has 35k miles and an 07 so you never know .I don't think 400 suffers as much as the 650 probably due to postion on regulator and battery being close . I seem to remember 650 issues started with exec model and they moved it's postion.I've had regulator go on a 1999 mk1 400 at 30 k miles while in Scotland just got home next morning battery was dead wouldn't start battery fried .I was very low on fuel I think if had stopped to refuel it wouldn't have started .I need power for sat nav so just brought one with voltmeter and usb.Prevention better than cure as they say .

Snail
Current Ride: Burgman

Post by Snail »

Ok thanks, mentioning sat nav, my TomTom has poor battery life so needs to be plugged in all the time, my only power outlet is cigar type in RHS glove box, do you think an adaptor to two usb outlets would be ok for the wiring, so can charge phone as well, they always seem to be different amps one low one high? Now that maplins have gone where is a reputable supplier, used one off eBay on sh kept failing to work!