First ride on my new Burg 650

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
Z750Jay
Current Ride: Vstrom 1000

First ride on my new Burg 650

Post by Z750Jay »

Finally picked up the big Burg today and I have to say I am impressed. Did try out one before I committed but when it's your own ride you can fully experience it. Road down some dual carriageway to hook up with my mate on his HD and sidecar. After that it was A and B roads to Loomies biker cafe along roads I do not have to think to ride so I can get used to the Burg.
Having ridden bikes with gears and big wheels for the last 20 odd years the Burg feels, different. After reading all the reviewers comments on the weight of it I thought it would be heavy and ill handling. I found it way, way lighter at low speeds than the XT1200 though it's only 20kg lighter. Fairly nimble for a long wheelbase bike though I can see where the reviewers are coming from if you are used to smaller bikes it would seem a bit wallowy. Nice and stable on the joy that is UK country lanes (pot holes, gravel and odd surfaces)
Not explored its performance as I am running it in though I did see north of 90 while doing a big over take (oops).
The only two minor niggles I can find are the build quality of some of the plastics is a bit cheap and the petrol cap - not having driven cars much over the last 20 years I found the car like cap a bit fiddly to get in plus where do you put it while filling?
The thing I am most impressed with is that smooooooooth acceleration. That alone is worth the two minor gripes :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dave Weller
Benefactor
Current Ride: VespaGTS250 Wave110i

Re: First ride on my new Burg 650

Post by Dave Weller »

Note on the petrol cap flap, many owners have walked into it at petrol stations and broke it off.
I really enjoyed my one in 2009, and from all reports the future revisions made it much better.
Honda NC750 Manual
VESPA GTS250
Royal Enfield HNTR 350
Honda Wave 110i

Z750Jay

Post by Z750Jay »

Should take about 2 1/2 weeks to run it in and get the first service out of the way then I can have some fun. Definitely need a taller screen, possibly a top box or rack

victor
Benefactor
Current Ride: Suzuki Burgman Exec 650 K9

Post by victor »

Givi do good screens. I always put filler cap on seat just back rest where I can see it.
How did you find engine breaking.

Z750Jay

Post by Z750Jay »

The engine breaking was there, not much but there. Not as good as changing down two and dumping the clutch as I used to do on previous bikes but I did find that if I hit the power button while throttling off I achieved something similar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

Glad you like it. They go very well indeed. Just remember not to over stress the metal drive belt during break in. They get very hot when new and it can lead to long term fatigue problems. Just follow the break in instructions in the manual, Suzuki stress it's important on that model. Have fun...and post often!
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

victor
Benefactor
Current Ride: Suzuki Burgman Exec 650 K9

Post by victor »

You got to remember you are no longer on a sports bike, but you can still have fun and fat burger vans can still get a shift on, after you have ran it.

Z750Jay

Post by Z750Jay »

Lucky I never had a sports bike though I have had all sorts of engine types over the past 20+ years. Do miss the engine breaking of the Vstrom(1000cc V twin that did 148mph). Getting getting used to the throttle now. It's the run on when you shut the throttle off while the engine is cold that could catch big bike riders out. I found that OK after the first time - my Fazer 600 used to do weird throttle things when I was riding in sub zero temps

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

michaelphillips
Benefactor
Current Ride: Daelim S250 Advance

Post by michaelphillips »

If you drive an auto car its the same throttle kind of shut off the brakes on scoots need aplying to stop ya. You get used to it
I cant seem to remember.. I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way.

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

michaelphillips wrote:If you drive an auto car its the same throttle kind of shut off the brakes on scoots need aplying to stop ya. You get used to it
Michael, you have brakes???... Do I also have them?... If so where are they? :lol: Jay, you should try riding the older model of the 650 Burgman. Engine braking on that is massive...in fact a bit too much for most folks. It also contributed, we think, to stressing the belt, leading to early failure for some folks. Your new one should be much better. Haven't heard of one belt failure on one in the 3 years it's been out. Our first company 650 (2008 model) at just two years old broke it's belt at 38,000 miles. I replaced the belt and bearings on another that had done just 45,000 miles. But it was thrashed from new and was probably the reason it failed. As I say, things have moved on since then and I don't think it's a worry now. Just enjoy the bike. You'll get used to her fairly quickly I'm guessing.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...