New Burgman

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
Stephen
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

New Burgman

Post by Stephen »

Collected my new Burgman on Monday,px'd the old Burgman & the Kawasaki......the ride home i knew was going to be painfully slow,i did'nt really fancy the A605 & A45 at running in speeds,simply for the fact i am likely to have a 40 truck driver getting frustrated,so i took the Yaxley route and other country roads i know,but still painfully slow.I kept it under 4000 rpm and under 50mph,then it started to rain,that was not nice new bike on brand new tyres in the rain is not a good combination.It was raining hard by now,so I popped back on the A605 for a couple of miles,then i had no choice but to use the A45 back to Northampton.

Wont get a chance to get on it till Saturday,will meet for breakfast somewher as we normally do,got a few goodies to to put on as well,such as the riders backrest,my sat nav,got a top box as well.

It ran as it should do,used the manual mode for a while,yet to check the heated seat and grips,will get it booked in fo the first service i guess for mid October.

Steve
Honda Forza 350

Ride Safe Ride Upright
"Better to be late in this world,rather than early in the next world"

Z750Jay
Current Ride: Vstrom 1000

Re: New Burgman

Post by Z750Jay »

Just finished the run in on my big Burg. It was scary being limited to 4000 revs which was not fun on the odd dual carriageway and motorway - 68 mph max sucked/was dangerous. Mostly rode about the country lanes and around town. Soooooooo much nicer now I do not have to worry about that restriction :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stephen
Benefactor

Post by Stephen »

I have been really well behaved,whilst running the Burgman in,kept it under 4k rpm,not really gone over 55mph,even when i took the motorway yesterday for a couple of junctions,it goes in to Wheels Motorcycles Peterborough For its first service Sat 22 Oct,i'll be there first thing,while the scoot is being serviced i'll be upstairs in their cafe shoving a big greasy breakfast down me throat,so if any one is out and about on a bimble feel free to join me,always plenty of secondhand bikes to have a gander at as well......

Steve
Honda Forza 350

Ride Safe Ride Upright

Ferret
Benefactor
Current Ride: Aprilia srv 850

Post by Ferret »

Running in what's that all about , with today's machining tolerances and quality components I thought that was a thing of the past . I agree with being smoother and non aggressive with the controls to bed them in for a short while . You never get told to run in a Honda Jazz but you do on a nc750 strange that .

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

Yeah...I know what you mean Ferret. But there are good reasons for the differences between cars and bikes, and although the differences are not massive between them, bike manufacturers put more emphasis on these instructions being followed. Indeed, you will generally get a much better engine if you do follow them with a new bike, rather than just wanging it from new. Having said that, I've just bought a brand new petrol engined turbo charged car and the running in instructions are similar to a motorcycle in everyway. However, in the main bikes often use different materials in the key load bearing engine components to those used in cars making it more essential to run it in as per the book. And that doesn't necessarily mean riding it slowly. My Burgman for example uses a nikasil mineral coated cylinder barrel with a very different set of tolerances to that of a car. This enables the engine to produces it's power in a particular way without incurring high engine wear at high revs. It doesn't like being wanged wide open from new as that can have a very detrimental effect on the nikasil. The engine is also designed to have a low piston speed at high revs (very short stroke). None of these things are present to any degree in the new modern crop of cars. For example, my brand new car has a long stroke, high piston speed engine to enable it to cope with high, low engine speed torque created by the turbo charger. Maximum torque on my new car is produced at just 1400rpm whereas my bike produces max torque at 5800rpm. Of course my bike doesn't have a turbo charger but even if it did and it produced it's power lower down the rev scale, there are now better coatings for the cylinder than nikasil to give a better and longer life, and it would ideally need a longer stroke for the engine to cope with the higher low end torque loadings, and of course, to aid in producing that high torque without damaging the engine. So in short (not good at doing short!) it's these differences in car and bike design and materials used, that is the driving factor in how much emphasis is placed on the running in process. And I know you probably know this stuff but it's nice to says it sometimes for those that don't.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

Z750Jay

Post by Z750Jay »

Was talking to a Honda engineer a few years ago and he said the build quality these days was so good that you could get away with about 100 miles to bed things in. The main reason is to get riders used to their new bike and not kill themselves. I did take an unusually long time running in the Burg due to life getting in the way. I was sooooooo glad after in was run in as I am not used to going so slow!
All my other bikes I have had from new have been run in within 3 or 4 days of pick up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stephen
Benefactor

Post by Stephen »

I have been told that most engines nowadays(unsure if they mean both car and motorcycle engines)are bench tested before they install them :?: i am about 450 miles now,if i have no work tomorrow i'll use it to nip in to Milton Keynes,then with the ride to the dealers Saturday for the service,it'll be near on 600 miles.Weather permitting i am out on a ride Sunday,So i should'nt cause so many traffic jams :D on the to the meet point.

Steve
Honda Forza 350

Ride Safe Ride Upright

Z750Jay

Post by Z750Jay »

When I picked up my new MZ250 many moons ago I managed to get the 600 mile run in done in two very long slow days. It was not fun

Stephen
Benefactor

Post by Stephen »

No work today,so i headed for the Apple Store Milton Keynes,stopped at a lovely roadside burger van for a breakfast bagette,did what bussiness i needed to do in MK,then had a really nice bimble back through some lovely country lanes,weather was great,roads almost empty,used the jet wash just up the road from me to clean the Burger,let it dry and have just been out with the Mrsheen and back2black,it looks good at now has 548 miles on the clock,ot a course this Wednesday in the local,parking is pants,so i shall take the scoot in,the with the 40 mile trip on Saturday to the dealers,it'll proberly be a tad over 600 miles,so just right for the service :shock:

Steve
Honda Forza 350

Ride Safe Ride Upright

Z750Jay

Post by Z750Jay »

Glad you are enjoying it - done over 1000 so far and have not got around to cleaning it