Heated grips

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
Z750Jay
Current Ride: Vstrom 1000

Re: Heated grips

Post by Z750Jay »

Only used them a few times since getting the Burg. Find the heat starts coming through after about 5 minutes or less. Mind you I am still on summer gloves (I use cycle mitts in the summer - I do not feel the cold that much!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PhilD
Current Ride: 2020 Burgman 400Z

Post by PhilD »

My 15 plate 400 has Suzuki heated grips and they take a time to seep through my winter gloves (Richa Cold Protect GTX), but once warm they work OK. I had to take the handlebar knuckle guards off to fit my Givi screen as they hit it at full lock, so there is some wind chill coming into play, but if I take my gloves off at the end of a run and the grips are still on, they are almost too hot to touch.

Luckydave
Current Ride: Burgman 650 and others

Post by Luckydave »

Suzuki have agreed to replace my heated grips,at last.I vowed I'd never buy another new Suzuki back in 2004 due to their piss poor warranty on a SV1000 I bought then.I love the scooter but Suzuki

Stephen
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Stephen »

Thats a nice result Dave.......did you have to pester Suzuki GB yourself or did the dealer do all the donkey work,

Steve
Honda Forza 350

Ride Safe Ride Upright
"Better to be late in this world,rather than early in the next world"

Luckydave
Current Ride: Burgman 650 and others

Post by Luckydave »

Dealer reluctantly contacted Suzuki area Rep

Dac
Current Ride: Suzuki Burgman 650

Post by Dac »

If you want to try with cheaper ones, I just installed one set that was about 13€. Sounds like a joke, I know. My original non-heating grips were in a really bad shape, like that rubber started to melt or something. Tried to glue left one couple of times but it just didn't hold and was turning, and right one was slippery, without gloves sometimes it was really uncomfortable to accelerate because I had to squeeze it all the time. Had to buy something, heating seems like a nice bonus and price is about the same as for regular ProGrips for my previous bike. So...

Brand is called "Carchet" but I've seen it under some other, and without a name too. They look good, like original maybe. Just a simple switch for a supposed temperature of 50 or 70 C. Installation was simple, only thing is they are longer so I had to get 2 cm longer screws and a 2 cm spacer for handlebar weights - actually a round nut fits nicely, screwed all the way to the weight.
I like the feel, and increased diameter. And they produce heat, but since it is summer and over 30 C here, can't really tell how much heat.

rtfm
Current Ride: Integra 700

Post by rtfm »

I like the switch on those, looks very neatly integrated. Cheap doesn't necessarily mean shite - the test will be how long they last.

I stay away from Oxford grips as when I had them they broke just about every year. Had Daytona ones on the Integra and just got them fitted to the Africa Twin too.

Scootypuff snr

Post by Scootypuff snr »

rtfm
How long ago was your experience with the oxford grips only the newer ones the switchgear became better quality.

However like you I've found cheap not necessarily shite and when I've paid £25 for a pair of h/grips although a bloody nuisance if they pack up after a year its small price in the scheme of things

rtfm
Current Ride: Integra 700

Post by rtfm »

My experience with the Oxford ones was 3 years ago, bought some other Oxford stuff before that also turned out to be shit so don't rate the brand.

Is good if they've improved the quality though :-)

Scootypuff snr

Post by Scootypuff snr »

Have to agree I've bought a lot of Oxford gear over the years & price to longevity isn't good