First wet ride

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
Richard
Current Ride: Nss300

First wet ride

Post by Richard »

First of many I am sure of....
My seventy mile commute was torrential rain/sleet this evening...my 20 mile spell on dual carriageway (A12) was more liken to a shallow river....filtering the entire distance.
Wiped the bike down once in the garage when the ice had thawed of the front end I was surprised to see how much muck was in the rad from the front wheel.....fenda extenda is a must.
Also feel a set of handlebar muffs would be a good investment, whilst the grips remained warm...my gloves were so wet I lost all feeling in my fingers to the extent that on the closing part of the journey I could not operate the indicator switch.
Lessons learnt....

Luckydave
Current Ride: Burgman 650 and others

Re: First wet ride

Post by Luckydave »

My heated grips are crap,taking back to dealer to look at.As to handlebar muffs will you still be able to see the mirrors? Givi reckon theirs are ok on a Burgman but maybe someone on here will know.

Richard

Post by Richard »

Dave,
The grips don't heat all the way round like Oxford ones, Suzuki grips just have an element that runs across them. When I have my hand on them the heat is roughly at the base of my fingers where they join my palm.
Good point about handlebar muffs.....not considered that.

roadster
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silence S01

Post by roadster »

Rather than muffs which are rather obstructive I prefer the plastic stone guard type of shields which are used on off road bikes. It can also be effective to use a windscreen such as the Fabbri ones which have flared side deflectors near the bar ends. Its surprising how much warmer it can be if your hand are protected from the airflow and for me it meant almost never needing winter gloves.
Located on UK South Coast
SYM Joymax 125 and Honda CB300R. Previously Silence S01, Kymco AK550, Triumph Tiger 850, Triumph Street Twin etc...

SH125Paul
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH125 - NC750X DCT

Post by SH125Paul »

Tucano Urbano - more of a hand grip cover than a full blown muff... - the mutts nuts... used em for 8 years now...
Neoprene waterproof-ish and windproof - Two main types - one for bars with bar end weights, one for without...
Worth teh £40 - dont by the cheaper options like bike it Boxer - Oxford do something similar, might be OK...

Luckydave
Current Ride: Burgman 650 and others

Post by Luckydave »

I looked at the Givi ones at bike show and looked well made but asked will they obscure vision of mirrors on Burgman 650 they said no,was told I can visit their "show room" to view,I used a Tucano Urbano leg cover on a Piaggio last year great bit of kit

poldark
Current Ride: X9 250Evo+B650[F]+NC750X [GB]

Post by poldark »

If you commute in the winter then despite their ugliness muffs are a must, ideally with heated grips.

As said Tuscano U make neat ones, cheaper ones are available but ideal to have another user confirm no control/mirror issues.
Honda NC750X DCT (2017)

Scootypuff snr

Post by Scootypuff snr »

Richard

Congratulations on completing your first wet tide commute and the A12 is not pleasent at any time (I so don't miss that)

I would fully endorse the tucano muffs but am currently trailing the "bike it" ones.

They work well on the mini scooter though the hand insert is quite tight (oh er missus) and I put pegs on them when stood as the remain open allowing rain in if at wrong angle.

However for price to be they're good. Pop along to Alpha Motorcycles or Harpers ( both but especially Alpha) will allow you to try the muffs on your scoot

Richard

Post by Richard »

Cheers for that, next time I am Southend way I will pop in...however, I am more than happy to trail gear !