Maximum Sustainable rpms

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
amsmtb
Benefactor
Current Ride: Suzuki burgman 400za l4

Maximum Sustainable rpms

Post by amsmtb »

Morning all had the new burger (to me) 400 l4 for a few weeks now (very happy)the only question is what is the safe cruising rpm? I find myself trying too keep it under 7k for my 33mile commute but I find at times it's only doing 65mph and not keeping up with the traffic flow, I had the k7 for 57k but I did mostly back roads and found it suffered from high oil consumption on long motorway runs, I can't find any available information from suzuki on what the burg can handle with max sustained rpm and I don't want too "thrash it and risk killing it? Any help would be gratefully received :?:
Suzuki burgman 400za l4
Suzuki burgman 400 k5
Gilara nexus 500 2004
Suzuki Burgman AN400 k7 2006
Piaggio x7 125 2010
Yamaha Majesty YP125R 2000
jinun db50qt6 (NInja) 2007
Honda nsr125k JC20 1991

roadster
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silence S01

Re: Maximum Sustainable rpms

Post by roadster »

Because it has automatic transmission Suzuki will have taken care of that for you, and you can assume its safe to use all the available speed when needed. If you do over-rev going down hill or with a tail wind you might hit the engines rev limiter and if that happens you should ease off a little because repeatedly having the engine stutter on the limiter is not good for it. You should also make sure that the transmission is regularly and properly serviced because if neglected this is more vulnerable than the engine itself when used at high speed. Most people reckon that high oil consumption can be caused by running in too slowly and using the full rev range of the engine ( progressively if its a new engine) is good for piston ring and cylinder bore bedding in.
Located on UK South Coast
SYM Joymax 125 and Honda CB300R. Previously Silence S01, Kymco AK550, Triumph Tiger 850, Triumph Street Twin etc...

amsmtb
Benefactor
Current Ride: Suzuki burgman 400za l4

Re: Maximum Sustainable rpms

Post by amsmtb »

roadster wrote:Because it has automatic transmission Suzuki will have taken care of that for you, and you can assume its safe to use all the available speed when needed. If you do over-rev going down hill or with a tail wind you might hit the engines rev limiter and if that happens you should ease off a little because repeatedly having the engine stutter on the limiter is not good for it. You should also make sure that the transmission is regularly and properly serviced because if neglected this is more vulnerable than the engine itself when used at high speed. Most people reckon that high oil consumption can be caused by running in too slowly and using the full rev range of the engine ( progressively if its a new engine) is good for piston ring and cylinder bore bedding in.
Servicing is like a religion as is keeping it clean I'm very strict on both like nothing more than a clean, well serviced burgman lol it's a workhorse so maximum care is taken to keep it in top condition besides I enjoy looking after it as much as I do riding it :kiss:
Suzuki burgman 400za l4
Suzuki burgman 400 k5
Gilara nexus 500 2004
Suzuki Burgman AN400 k7 2006
Piaggio x7 125 2010
Yamaha Majesty YP125R 2000
jinun db50qt6 (NInja) 2007
Honda nsr125k JC20 1991