Wheel bearings on 650

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
Dac
Current Ride: Suzuki Burgman 650

Wheel bearings on 650

Post by Dac »

My Burgie was bought used with around 30t km and from day one it was hard to push it around. I read about clutch being the main culprit, and of course it's huge weight. But I am big enough and wasn't a problem really. After some time it become easier, I thought maybe I got used to it, maybe because I serviced it so it has new oils, it was stored for longer time before I bought it... Who knows. After a while a noticed a noise when leaning in corners that doesn't sound healthy, louder on right side. Damn, sounds like wheel bearings. Did some googling and yes, people had to change them as early as 20t km but some never had a problem with it, I mean when you change them at 100 000 km that is expected. Also, when making some quick manouvers I felt like rear is trailing, in corners like something is wrong with rear tire. Something wasn't right but on center stand I couldn't notice wheel play. Anyway, I bought new bearings, mostly because of what experienced forum members wrote.

So far I was pretty impressed with Burgman. The components on it, the way it is engineered and how easy it is to work on it. But having wheel bearings that are closed only on the outside doesn't sound so smart. How much cheaper was that?
Inner side is closed but still exposed to air, possible water and dirt, and grease will come out eventually and that is exactly what happened. On front wheel grease completely came out of them, shaft had more on it than in bearings. Don't have pics, but I have the rear ones so you can see it. One seems ok but the other one... ugh.

New SKF bearings and dust sealers. Investment of about 20€, noise is gone, handling improved. Check yours.
https://sites.google.com/site/testburgmancenter02/

Ferret
Benefactor
Current Ride: Aprilia srv 850

Re: Wheel bearings on 650

Post by Ferret »

Not unusual to have to replace wheel bearings at lower than expected mileage ,my srv has had 3 sets in 5 years on the front . This time however I have not used aprilia/piaggio supplied items I have fitted better quality ones from Hayley's .

Davefirestorm
Current Ride: Burgman 650

Re: Wheel bearings on 650

Post by Davefirestorm »

My 650 bought new in December last year 5k miles on clock just had new front discs!!! on warranty dealer had to drill the pad retaining pins 'cause they'd had been over tightened/rusted in and bolts holding the rear shocks were rusted in