charging problems with Burgman 400 L2

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
rapidrider
Current Ride: Burgman 400 L2

charging problems with Burgman 400 L2

Post by rapidrider »

Ok, so I've been having problems with the charging side on my Burgman &, after a few suggestions, thought I'd narrowed it down to the regulator/rectifier.
After a bit of a search on Google I removed the reg/rec & tested the diodes as suggested. All the circuits seemed to be working correctly, so I charged the battery & started her up, to check the charging voltage.
About 13v at idle & 14.4 at revs, which seemed about right. However after approx one minute, no charge voltage at all, & the battery began to discharge. When the reg/rec was cool enough to remove again, I rechecked the circuits & all still seemed fine. Am I missing something? Is it the reg/rec still? Suggestions please. :-? :-?

Pete07bikes
Benefactor
Current Ride: Vespa GTS300 HPE

Re: charging problems with Burgman 400 L2

Post by Pete07bikes »

Hi rapid-rider, I had a similar fault with an old NTV650 Honda and narrowed it down to faulty wiring.
You mention it's an L2, not sure what year that is but my NTV was 1997 (20 years old) and the rectifier had been changed previous to my ownership - battery wouldn't hold charge. Replaced the rectifier and it was ok for about 30 minutes then began losing charge again, however the rectifier never got too hot to handle.
In my opinion the rectifier shouldn't get too hot - you mention cool enough to remove it - this suggests to me that the rectifier is breaking down under use and not distributing the power back to the battery.
Problem with electrics is, if you're unable to do the work yourself the cost quickly mounts up.
Sorry, appreciate I've not been much help
Pete
Rainham, Medway Towns, Kent
Honda CB500-XA

syntec4

Post by syntec4 »

Yep reg/rec. as soon as it gets hot one of the phases will go open circuit. BTW they do get hot. Thats why they have a heat sink. The yamaha r6 unit has a really good sink that will be a long term fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rapidrider

Post by rapidrider »

Thanks guys. The L2 is a 2012 bike and I'm a warm weather biker now, so its only done 5000 (mostly dry) miles from new. Is the R6 unit a direct swap, I.E. no wiring changes etc, & I presume it won't cause any issues elsewhere if fitted? Many thanks, in advance :D

roadster
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silence S01

Post by roadster »

If the regulator gets too hot to touch after one minute it is very likely to be faulty. The other possibility would be that its output is short-circuited by an external wiring fault but in most cases that would blow a fuse.
Located on UK South Coast
SYM Joymax 125 and Honda CB300R. Previously Silence S01, Kymco AK550, Triumph Tiger 850, Triumph Street Twin etc...

syntec4

Post by syntec4 »

rapidrider wrote:Thanks guys. The L2 is a 2012 bike and I'm a warm weather biker now, so its only done 5000 (mostly dry) miles from new. Is the R6 unit a direct swap, I.E. no wiring changes etc, & I presume it won't cause any issues elsewhere if fitted? Many thanks, in advance :D

Since about 1980 all reg/recs are 5 wire. 3 phases often yellow and a + / -. Doesn't matter which way round you wire the phases. use a meter to find the + for the feed. R6 Unit will be a different plug but just chop it off and solder/heat shrink the connections. It will be more reliable that way too. You can use spades if you want but make sure you crimp them well and tape the up as well. Crimps are crap......

rapidrider

Post by rapidrider »

Regulator/rectifier replaced & all working great. Thanks for all the information guys. :D